Tact VS. Bel Canto

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Darren, Oct 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darren

andybillet

Dunno about that, but I believe there will be a CD-Pre next year which is the CD-1 that operates as a CD player, a preamp and a room correction system, all in one unit. Stick that with an SDA and Bob's yer unkle.

This was looking interesting to me, but not so sure now.
    Anyone ever heard one?
    http://www.northstar.it/products.html

andybillet, Nov 5, 2005
  2. Darren

Garmt

As far as I know, it doesn't have a volume control. It isn't documented anywhere.

Garmt, Nov 9, 2005
  3. Darren

Stereo Mic

It's likely to be an NAD under the skin.

A shame to see they can no longer offer the Tact RCS correction systems.

Stereo Mic, Nov 9, 2005
  4. Darren

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Is that because the bloke left and now works for B & O?

bottleneck, Nov 9, 2005
  5. Darren

Garmt

It is NOT NAD under the skin and they CAN do RCS. It is an upgrade in the TDA2200, but not yet finished.

Garmt, Nov 10, 2005
  6. Darren

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

G, thats great as long as it doesn't sound like the music removing tda 2200 it'll be worth a demo

wadia-miester, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Darren

Garmt

Stay away from RCS and use the digital crossovers and parametric eq of the TDA2200 with the WS210 subs and it doesn't remove as much music in my opinion, but rather gives slam and presence I have not heard in a looong time (if ever).

Going ballistic with RCS most of the time does more harm than good, I agree.

Garmt, Nov 10, 2005
  8. Darren

Stereo Mic

Garmt,

Lyngdorf do not have the capacity to build their own CD player and Peter's connections with NAD have led to collaborations in the past, hence my post.

Chris, Boz, the owner of Tact, owns the intellectual rights to the digital room correction software. Since the split of the company, Peter had been able to sell the RCS, but given that he announced a RCS module for the TDA2200 without consulting Boz, I understand that arrangement came under stress.

Garmt, RCS under development? For When? They can't use anything based on the TACT software or they risk being sued. Boz was the guy behind the original and he is no longer there. Finally, given Tact's track record in announcing products about three years before availability, I would not hold my breathe if I were you!

It might well be that they will buy in the off the shelf board from Dynaton currently used by Copland. Being a Danish company this would make sense, and, given that the Dynaton software looks remarkably like the Tact, the link may go even deeper than that!

To see David at Tact now recommending a parametric EQ over the RCS system simply because they only sell the former, is sad IMHO and suggests the company is in something of a mess.

RCS can work wonderfully well but you need to experiment and know what you are doing. I have never heard it well set up at a show since Tact UK was setup. This is a shame.

Boz was the designer and brains behind the original Tact. Peter the money guy with the contacts. Going forward, I would expect the exciting developments to come from Boz, who now owns Tact and operates from the US. Chris, it was Karsten who left and Joined B&O.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2005
    Stereo Mic, Nov 10, 2005
  9. Darren

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

G,
    Some of us don't need ultra efficent subs in the corners to generate that sound, an achieve a far more natural & Dynamic end result.
    Now where did I put my Nils Lofren 'Keith don't go' tact test disc :D

wadia-miester, Nov 10, 2005
  10. Darren

Garmt

You know more than I do.

It's supposedly almost ready. When, I don't know. More HERE.

They have found a partner in Dynaton, which does development on future RCS solutions: http://www.tactaudio.dk/docs/pressrelease_dynaton.pdf

You are interpreting... I am saying that I would not heavily use RCS, Peter Lyngdorf has got other opinions about this!

It sure is and I agree.

We'll see what happens...

Garmt, Nov 10, 2005
  11. Darren

Garmt

I hate the man. Please don't try to find it... :D

Garmt, Nov 10, 2005
  12. Darren

Stereo Mic

Garmt,

I edited above just as you were posting. The Dynaton package is already available through Copland. It is remarkably similar to the Tact software. I suspect they had a little "help" in developing it but I might well give the Copland a go at some point as it would allow the use of traditional amplification.

FWIW I owned a full Tact system four years ago now. I like Peter. I don't get on with David.

Stereo Mic, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Darren

Garmt

Yes, the Copland uses exactly the same DSP. It is analog in, analog out however.

Who is David?

Garmt, Nov 10, 2005
  14. Darren

Stereo Mic

David Rappaport- heads up Tact UK AFAIK.

I prefer analogue in and out as the unit can then be placed in a tape loop. That allows me to retain the character of the source rather than use Tact's own average Dac's or their digital amps which, whilst excelling at all things hifi, seems to lose something along the way to me.

Stereo Mic, Nov 10, 2005
  15. Darren

Garmt

BTW, I don't deal with TacT UK... There is no dealership yet in The Netherlands.

Garmt, Nov 10, 2005
  16. Darren

Bob Patefield The Future is Digital

Hi Guys.

Cards on the table.

I work for TacT/Lyngdorf UK in the North West of England.

I heard about this forum and in particular this thread. There seems to be a little misinformation going on and so thought I would comment. I'm certainly not here for a war of words, merely to state a few facts.

I have a very close working relationship with David Rapoport and Peter Lyngdorf and have the greatest respect for them both.

The CD-1 CD player is released in the next couple of weeks. It is an in house designed product and has nothing to do with NAD. Peter now has several of the worlds to digital audio engineers on his team working on new products.

Regarding Room Correction. Boz does own the rights for his RCS, but not all types of Room Correction. The Lyngdorf system is again an in house product using new technology. There are links to Dynaton, but the new system is all new and will not share any of the Dynaton/Copland technology.
    It is to be given its first outing at CES in January in a 2.2 system using MH1's and W210's and will be available later in 2006.
    True that the Room Correction does need skill to set up and get good results. As the new RCS software & firmware develops it will have a 1 button set up facility that allows novice users to correct for the room at the push of a button and then simply voice the system to their tastes.
    The software will also give the user the usual control. A great step forwards I'm sure you will agree.

Regarding TacT/Lyngdorf UK.

TacT/Lyngdorf UK is in great shape and currently distributes Exactpower, Stillpoints and Audiodesksysteme. We also sell Dali, Silver Arrow, Vertex AQ along side Lyngdorf.

Any comments to the contrary are just some ones 'opinion' and have no grounding.

When the split between TacT US and TacT dk came we had to choose a direction and to us it was a 'no brainer'.

We don't recommend EQ over Room Correction. We just don't advise that customers spend £3300 on a RCS when they can soon buy a TDA2200 amp with RCS built in for similar money. We used RC at the recent Heathrow Show.

Regarding the sound at shows in the UK. Peter sets up the sound at shows as he always has, so there should be no difference between now and before TacT UK was set up. Peter's taste in sound does not always agree with everyone, but with our digital products that is something we have control of, unlike most other hi-fi, so personal tastes can be adjusted for.

Regarding the use of corner woofers. This is not by any means essential. Great bass can be achieved using a 2.0 set up. There are however good reasons for using corner loaded woofers. There is some information on the subject here…….
    www.tactaudio.dk/qa_subs_1.html

We all have vested interests and loyalties in hi-fi and it should be kept in mind that these are just people's opinions and not necessarily based in fact. Can I please ask that personal comments be left out of posts?

Anyone who wishes to make their own mind up about any of our products only has to contact us.

Anyone interested in purchasing products are quite welcome to visit for a demo.
    I am currently running a 2.2 EQ'd ;) system.
    TDA > Dali MS4's
    SDA > Lyngdorf W210 corner woofers
    Stillpoints ESS and Component stand under Equitech Balanced Power Unit.
    Stello transport (soon to be replaced bty CD-1)

If anyone has questions I will try and answer, but I don't have much time free to visit forums often.

I can be contacted directly at [email protected]

Many thanks.

Bob Patefield

TacT/Lyngdorf UK

Bob Patefield, Nov 10, 2005
  17. Darren

Bob Patefield The Future is Digital

Hi Darren.
    I am not so far from you.
    Please feel free to come over for a brew and a listen sometime soon. Glad you like the SDA.

Bob

Bob Patefield, Nov 10, 2005
  18. Darren

Garmt

Thanks Bob!

Garmt, Nov 10, 2005
  19. Darren

Dev Moderator

Bob, welcome to the forum and thanks for setting the record straight.

Believe it or not, SM is one of TacT's biggest fans AFAICT.:)

Dev, Nov 10, 2005
Ask a Question