Tact VS. Bel Canto

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Darren, Oct 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darren

LinearMan

Having had a BC Evo2igen2, I have now upgraded to the TacT SDAi2175. The evo is an excellent amplifier, but in a direct and extended comaprison (both amps available at the same time) the TacT emerged as a clear improvment, to my ears at least. The Tact seems more transparent to me, and showed up the slight warmth added by the bc. The Tact also controls my 'speaker drivers even better than the BC, helping with bass tunefulness (is this a word?!). Soundstage is wider and deeper with the Tact and instrument separation is first class.

the Tact is a serious bargain at its price ~ competing on a price level with Arcams, et al. If you judge the sound and build quality together with the componentry used, then this clearly isn't an £1100 amplifier. TacT have chosen to be very competitive on price, for various reasons, but I think this may turn out to be an extra hurdle for them. However much we may like to think that we are all able to judge products whilst being impartial to price, I think that this is a fallacy. We all (me too) make the (perhaps sub conscious) assumption that if something is more costly it must be 'better' (in a free market economy, this is generally true). In this particular instance, the BC is the almost three times the price of the TacT; ergo it must be 'better'. I've found this not to be true in this case.

It should also be remembered that the TacT is incredibly transparent and will reveal the characteristics of your upstream equipment, good or bad!

I also like the full value upgrade path offered by TacT; certainly a consideration in my purchase.

I also had the opportunity of a brief listen to the forthcoming TacT CD-1, which was very impressive. I'll wait until production samples appear and an extended audition before passing judgement, though.

And in case you're wondering ~ I have no association with, or interest in, TacT, other than being a very satisfied customer!

LinearMan, Oct 19, 2005
  2. Darren

andybillet

I couldn't agree more.
    This is a £3k amp at least. The fact that they don't use traditional shops/dealers means we get a better deal. I was also told, when I paid for mine the other day, that prices are set to rise in the near future. I was told this after I had parted with my money and not before so I'm sure it wasn't said just to focus my mind.

The only advice I would offer anyone who intends to audition this amp is to make sure it has been used for at least 3 months continually. There is a guy on the Lyngdorf forum who is a recording engineer. He raves about these amps, but claimed it took 3 months for it to fully settle down.

andybillet, Oct 19, 2005
  3. Darren

Darren

Many thanks to all tact and B C owners for weighing in. i'm starting to get the impression that an audition is due......

Maybe I should have done that in the first place.... DOH!!!

Darren

Darren, Oct 19, 2005
  4. Darren

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Listen to your own ears.... but it helps that TacT dealers should be offering a three week home trial.

alanbeeb, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Darren

Dev Moderator

Mr Beeb, How does one listen to one's own ears?:).

But good advice, I'd take up the offer of a 3 week home trial. It shows the manufacturer has confidence in their product.

Dev, Oct 19, 2005
  6. Darren

johnhunt recidivist

i have an evo 4 which is bridged, balanced connection to a audio research LS2.

frankly it sounds great - to my ears

anybody want a listen in south East London is welcome

johnhunt, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Darren

penance Arrogant Cock

John, do you find the LS2 adds anything?

penance, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Darren

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I would agree with the touch of warmth on the B/c's, I would say the tact has a touch more power and slightly tighter on the bass, though I find the Belcanto far more involving and musical.
    I haven't compared the 2i and tda2175, I'm just talking power amps here.
    The Tact amps are very forward and transparent, and without question respond to mains treatments even more so than B/C's do.
    I would take the offer up of a home demo, though I would badger a b/c dealer into doing the same, if he wants to sell his products, he should have no reason not too.
    Wm

wadia-miester, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Darren

andybillet

Hi WM.
    Are you refering to the SDA2175 or the TDA2200?
    My experience seems to differ from yours as I heard no forwardness in the sound, but it was the SDAi I heard.

andybillet, Oct 19, 2005
  10. Darren

boy_lah

I have been using the nufroce 8's and 9's extensively in two system for about 5 weeks now. My impressions are it's very transparent, extremely dynamic and quiet (which brings forth lots of microdetails). It's also great controlling speaker loads (read inefficient/difficult) which gives you great timing. Tonally, I agree with WM, it can sound unemotional – forget passives or solid state amps. I've been using it with the Modwright SWL9.0SE tube pre and the combo is amazing!!!! The pre's hint of warmth and microdynamics retrieval is a perfect match for the nuforce. This combination is also extremely coherent (with the right PCs).

My mate is a Mahler fan, and this combination is hard to beat even if you don't take price into consideration.

The 9's are better, much better built definitely but also the it had much more finesse over the 8's. The 8's seem more eager/enthusiastic whilst the 9's were more controlled and more refined. Better control at the lower impedence???

boy_lah, Oct 19, 2005
  11. Darren

greg Its a G thing

£775 seems very cheap for the SDA2175. Can they be monoblocked?

[Edited to add] I mean can they be bridged in order to benefit from more power if used as monoblocks and if so what kind out output might one expect on each channel?

greg, Oct 19, 2005
  12. Darren

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

I'm fairly sure the SDA can't be bridged.

alanbeeb, Oct 19, 2005
  13. Darren

greg Its a G thing

That's a pity. Shame they dont do a monoblock version. I'd quite fancy a pair pushing out, say <imagines wistfully> 400W into 8 ohms. In my case 750W into 4 ohms would be great.

greg, Oct 19, 2005
  14. Darren

Andy,
    The straight power amp V's an evo 2 gen II, I have 4 systems with these in and it exhibits the forwardness traits in each one, However as Boy-lah has stated above, correct matching of components may well bring some interesting results.
    Boy-lah, when you ditch the SWPM and place them in another box, with a Quality psu, they become not too shabby then
    So ditching the valves then? Doesn't your Buddy Keith import them?
    Wm

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  15. Darren

boy_lah

WM,
    I initially tried them for a mate/out of interest always thinking they're not thinking they're not for me. Mate end up buying them and I have to say it's made me think again about valves. But no...for now, I'm going to keep trying valves a bit longer. Currently running in a new amp (25watts!). Fingers crossed!!! will report back later.

yes...got ours from Keith at Angelsounds - both modwright and nuforce.

buddy? every good hifi dealer is my buddy 8 )

boy_lah, Oct 19, 2005
  16. Darren

Yes I heard that :D

17. Darren

boy_lah

you did?? what and from whom??? you've got me curious now!? 8 p

boy_lah, Oct 19, 2005
  18. Darren

boy_lah

Channel Island amps does away with switching power supplies and uses transformers instead. Expecting to hear some v soon. Might do that emotional thang without a valve pre.

boy_lah, Oct 19, 2005
  19. Darren

Your quite infamous Boy-lah, Your reputation preceeds you. :eek: ;)
    Yes a tranny helps no end, yet is not the cure for their sound probs, a touch more work is required to bring them up to good listening standard.
    Though a fair way behind the competition IMO :)
    I would also try a Belles pre, Having now compared the 2, I'll take the Belles, used around the $1.5/2k mark.
    Off now to screw some amps back together, that have been loving adjusted to achieve their true potential, have a good day all.

20. Darren

andybillet

You had a demo yet Darren?

andybillet, Oct 21, 2005
Ask a Question