The Manchester hi-fi show

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by thrudge, Jan 26, 2008.

1. thrudge

lordsummit moderate mod

wasn't worth the money, I heard nothing I liked. Was glad to get home and listen to mine. Seems like over bright treble was in this year. It's sad when the almost the best thing I heard was the Arcams and the PMC's. Audionote were the only real bright spot. Too much AV, too many booms, too many systems turned up so loud you couldn't hear yourself think.

Don't think I'll be going again. The only bright spot was the record stalls. Got a couple of nice Cisco Blue notes. Pricey, but sound lovely.

lordsummit, Jan 28, 2008
  2. thrudge

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i walked out with the Stalker/Bach cello suites and ok computer on vinyl, that was worth the trip.

browsing the racks is so much better than doing it online.

sq225917, Jan 28, 2008
  3. thrudge

pmg

This is an outrageous libel designed to damage a well-respected dealer. For an alternative view try here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51

pmg, Jan 29, 2008
  4. thrudge

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

No it isn't it's a factual account of what took place to the best of my ability to remember it, and all bits in quotes are exact quotes...

So stop falling over yourself to kiss his arse.

it was a bad demo, in which he was usuing parlour tricks to bias the outcome and it fell apart under scrutiny. get over it.

sq225917, Jan 29, 2008
  5. thrudge

andyoz

Is this just a "cunning plan" to get more people to go to the next hifi show then?

Not only do you get to listen to music, but there's also dealers dancing and the potential for a "fight"..."fight"..."fight"..:D

andyoz, Jan 29, 2008
  6. thrudge

Steven Toy

The editorial bias of this forum is very much that of scepticism and objectivism and I have no issue with that. However I do suggest that some folks could do well by taking their fingers out of their ears and taking no notice of Steve Jackson's body movements.

You came into the room to heckle, hear the sound of your own voice and nothing more.

The above link does provide some balance.

On that subject, in every goody bag handed out to people at reception there was a flyer approximately 7 x 25cm printed in black and white. I hope you lost yours.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2008
    Steven Toy, Jan 29, 2008
  7. thrudge

Dev Moderator

Allowing certain claims to be questioned does not equate to bias and if you can show us the libellous content we'd be pleased to deal with it.

Dev, Jan 29, 2008
  8. thrudge

RobHolt Moderator

What?

Why can't he just sit still for 5 minutes and keep shtum letting folk hear any difference (or not) for themselves.?

Simon's version of events tallies exactly with mine on past experience of AW/QS dems.

I'd hardly call a link to a fan boy site which has latched onto the latest craze 'balanced'.

RobHolt, Jan 29, 2008
  9. thrudge

mr cat Member of the month

if he didn't hear any difference then so what..? get over it... :D

mr cat, Jan 29, 2008
  10. thrudge

A.N.

meaning of libel:-

In law, defamation (also called vilification, slander, and libel) is the communication of a statement that makes a *false claim*, expressively stated or implied to be factual, that may harm the reputation of an individual, business, product, group, government or nation. Most jurisdictions allow legal actions, civil and/or criminal, to deter various kinds of defamation and retaliate against groundless criticism.

so as this actually happened, its not libel, so, make sure you know the meaning before calling something libellous when it aint. :rolleyes:

A.N., Jan 29, 2008
  11. thrudge

andyoz

Those few lines are more hilarious than libellious to me.

Well done that man.

andyoz, Jan 29, 2008
  12. thrudge

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

As the person repsonsible for moderating my companies own website and very large user forum, I'm more than aware of what costitutes libel or slander with regards to the web.

And none of my post does.

The bits in "quotes" are exactly that, verbatim quotes. There was much more said but as i don't feel able to recall all of it with the same level of accuracy, i didn't include it.

if you disagree with my recounting of the tale, please point out the exact bits you say didn't happen...or the places where i have misquoted.

If you just weren't aware of the whole host of NLP and 'action tricks' that dealers use to steer a demo, then that's unfortunate, but hardly anything to do with me.

As i've posted elsewhere i had no motive upon entering that demo, i entered it with the same open mind i entered every room with. However i didn't hear any difference, despite his dancing.

sq225917, Jan 29, 2008
  13. thrudge

ShinOBIWAN

How much of joke is this thread; http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51

Its a windup right? Complete and utter BS from dealers, I hate slimey cable salesmen. Don't know about anyone else but it takes a HUGE change in sound to go from scowling to foot tapping and not just this from *******************

It gets worse:

Well how freakin convenient. There must be a handbook entitled "How to counter a cable slur" that these guys get because that's something I read regularly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2008
    ShinOBIWAN, Jan 29, 2008
  14. thrudge

mr cat Member of the month

I think these guys have done themselves no favours at all...

mr cat, Jan 29, 2008
  15. thrudge

Dev Moderator

Hi guys, at this stage I wanted to remind everyone about bringing disputes from other forums here but in this case we (ZG and PFM) seem to be the subject of "discussion".

Steven,

Does the AUP on your forum allows being disrespectful to other forums? And what exactly do you mean by "Indeed. Take whatever action you deem necessary and we'll back you 100%." in the following post?

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showpost.php?p=398&postcount=7

To me it reads like a threat against ZG and PFM.

Dev, Jan 29, 2008
  16. thrudge

Steven Toy

It is no threat against either ZG or PFM. I'm of the opinion that it may be the individuals themselves not admin of the forums on which they write who may have a case to answer.

I witnessed first hand what took place in the Audio Works dem room at the show.

Going by your logic that would make either the show organisers or the Radisson Hotel responsible for what happened.

As it happens, if you read the thread further you will see that Audio Works are not going to bother going down the litigation route.

How have I been disrespectful to ZG or PFM? I witnessed a couple of guys heckling in a dem who then decide to go public on the internet with their version of events. It matters not where they chose to do this.

If it is going to cause inter-forum squabbles that I definitely don't welcome then I'll happily delete the thread.

Steven Toy, Jan 29, 2008
  17. thrudge

Robbo

why do you idiots always throw around legal threats whenever there is a disagreement?

Far better to simply laugh it off, people will respect you more for it and it'll be forgotten about in a couple of days rather than become forum legend material.

Robbo, Jan 29, 2008
  18. thrudge

The Devil IHTFP

I witnessed first hand what took place in the Audio Works dem room at the show.

So what? You believe whatever AW salesmen tell you. I've seen these NLP techniques, and they are effective on the gullible. Do you really think there's some sort of problem with the DCS power cable? Supplementary: [What sort of problem could there possibly be?]

Not a terribly auspicious start for your new forum, Steven. Already at war with two well-established ones, and you have been going for how long?

The Devil, Jan 29, 2008
  19. thrudge

Steven Toy

I have deleted a couple of posts. One was mine.

There are one or two stirrers around who are twisting this into being some kind of inter-forum war. It isn't. We've responded to what's been said not the forums themselves.

Really?

Steven Toy, Jan 29, 2008
  20. thrudge

The Devil IHTFP

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

You are going to have your hands full. Slow-motion car crash has already begun to roll.....

The Devil, Jan 29, 2008
Ask a Question