Turntable choices

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Jan 3, 2004.

1. The Devil

tones compulsive cantater

Happy New Year, James!

Have you considered Wilson Benesch? Its favourite material is carbon fibre, which comes in an variety of shades, ranging from light black to dark black. I had pretty well decided to buy a Full Circle pPackage, but along came the Basel Linn dealer with a second-hand LP12 considerably cheaper than the Full Circle. Sometimes I look at the Full Circle with twinges of regret...

tones, Jan 3, 2004
  2. The Devil

mick parry stroppy old git

Chaps

I think that most of you do not realise that Bubs current TT is a LP12 Ninja. This is a LP12 modified by JW of Mana fame and there are only 8 known to be in existance. The chance of procuring one of these is less than any of you lot shoving butter up a porcupines bottom with a red hot needle. These TT's are bloody great and I would once have killed for one. They hardly ever go up for sale.

If Bub sells it (which I don't think he will do), he will need something of exceptional quality even to equal it.

The only acceptable suggestion, so far is from me and that is the Loricraft 501. The cost of this TT without an arm is now over £8000.00 and that is the sort of quality he is going to need to surpass the Ninja.

This man is in the big boys league, so he needs the full monty.

Please bear this in mind when you make suggestions.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 3, 2004
  3. The Devil

Tom Alves

Re: Chaps

I'm not taking my clothes off for him. :eek:

Tom Alves, Jan 3, 2004
  4. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Re: Chaps

Now come on Mick, no need to be modest :D .

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 3, 2004
  5. The Devil

notaclue

Really? What exactly did JW of Mana do to it that would lead a man to *gulp* kill another man for his turntable?

notaclue, Jan 3, 2004
  6. The Devil

Tom Alves

Unfortunately JW won't tell us but the Ninja is a thing of legend (or is that myth?)

Tom Alves, Jan 3, 2004
  7. The Devil

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Re: Re: Chaps

Indeed.

I have no doubt that the 501 is very good. I havent heard that particular turntable.

To say that the likes of Kuzma, Avid, Nottingham Analogue, SME, Well Tempered, Clearaudio, Platine CANNOT better a modified LP12 for less than 8,000 is very very difficult for me to entertain.

Mick - have you heard the best turntables these manufacturers make BELOW 8,000? all of them?

If not, perhaps you were a little...quick to judge?

The fact that 'JW' made 8 of them and they are rare means little to me. Penance has only made 1 turntable and thats even rarer! ?!?!

I havent heard the Ninja'd LP12, but imho its a little like modifying a morgan.

Cheers
    Chris

bottleneck, Jan 3, 2004
  8. The Devil

Tom

I have actually heard the Ninja that Bub currently owns.

I heard it when I visited Tanais fox, or fox as he now prefers to be known when he lived in Bath.

It is worth killing for.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 3, 2004
  9. The Devil

Tom Alves

Mick

I believe you. By the way you have a PT in the other place.

Tom Alves, Jan 3, 2004
  10. The Devil

Chris

You are disadvanted because you have not heard neither a Ninja nor a 501.

Both of these TT's are exceptional because they were both made by men who knew what they were doing and gave unlimited hours in perfecting their product.

I was gobsmacked when I heard them. You are unlikely ever to hear a Ninja because there are only 8 in existance.

Loricraft usually exhibit at the Heathrow show every September, it would be worth your time visiting them. The sound has to be heard to be believed.

JW only made 8 Ninja's because, I believe, it was doing his head in. Obtaining perfection is a nightmare.

I have heard most of the other TT's you mention and believe me. although they are all good, they are but croaking frogs compared to those two TT's.

You will not believe me until you have heard them.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 3, 2004
  11. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Re: Chris

Hmmm....you're absolutism is sounding rather like certain advocates of angle iron based supports :rolleyes:

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 3, 2004
  12. The Devil

notaclue

I believe Mick too. I think it was the killing bit that convinced me. A nice touch.

But I doubt the Garrard would satisfy the looks criteria.

notaclue, Jan 3, 2004
  13. The Devil

Michael

That reply of yours struck a chord so I will bow out of this thread.

Mr Not a clue.

The latest 501 has a visable chassis which is machined and polished stanliess steel. The burgandy paint is the same paint that is sprayed on Bently's. The new plinth is machined from either solid bronze or Brass, I forget which, but it looks classy.

Like I said, if you get down to the Hif show in September.....have a listen and make your own mind up.

Regards

Mick............mouth now zipped up.

mick parry, Jan 3, 2004
  14. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Re: Michael

Mick, I wasn't making any veiled threats with my reply in case that's what you understood. I was just making an observation :)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 3, 2004
  15. The Devil

notaclue

notaclue, Jan 3, 2004
  16. The Devil

Michael

I did not even think that you were making any sort of threat but rather that you seemed to think I was adopting a new religion.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 3, 2004
  17. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

Bub, welcome back.

Don't know if there's any way of hearing one in Scotland, but these are very good indeed (I will probably go for one later in the year), and extremely beautiful in the flesh:

Ooh, nice black turntable

The size might require a larger support than you currently have, however.

I may be wrong, but IIRC Well Tempereds don't do 45rpm, which makes them a non-no for me. No doubt Alex will correct me if I'm wrong.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 4, 2004
  18. The Devil

merlin

Re: Re: Re: Chaps

I'd have to agree Chris, I can't understand why, if the mythical JW managed to create a world beater, he didn't licence the design out and make a mint.

My guess would be (and I obviously have not heard the Ninja, although I have heard numerous modded LP12's), that it excels in one particular area and will appeal to people looking for that quality.

I had a listen to a Garrard at Heathrow (I guess it was the 501?). Can't say I was blown away, unlike when I heard a Cardas at a mate's house recently.

Like anything at this level, it all comes down to personal preference, with no real winner other than the listener, who benefits from the wide choice available following JW's decision not to decimate the opposition.

merlin, Jan 4, 2004
  19. The Devil

Lord .

I bought a 2nd hand Nottingham Analogue Studios Mentor to replace my old Kondek.

It is very very very black.
    It is also built by a man who knows what he is doing.

It's design is at the opposite end of the spectrum to all those bouncy, lightweight (low shipping costs!) models.
    The platter weighs about 40kg and it has to be started by manually spinning this huge flywheel!
    The permanently on motor only provides just enough juice to keep the platter spinning once it has been started to minimise vibration.

It is huge. It sounds superb.

It is a shame that the new NAS decks are finished in that blue marblette, as black is back!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2004
    Lord, Jan 4, 2004
  20. The Devil

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

snap!

I have a Mentor also, but a more recent one than the one pictured. Nice arent they? :). Its a shame they recently stopped production of it.

NB I have the external/speed variable power supply also which makes a large difference I think. Worth looking at if you havent got one?

welcome to ZG!

chris

bottleneck, Jan 4, 2004
Ask a Question