Turntables...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006.

1. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Careful bub. It seems your hired ears have a hidden agenda.

anon_bb, Jan 9, 2006
  2. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

You are kidding right? You are surely not applying that broad brush seriously?

greg, Jan 9, 2006
  3. anon_bb

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Greg,

Bio-hazard-brown-trousers has yet to whitness a good sound, so please be gentle with him

wadia-miester, Jan 9, 2006
  4. anon_bb

Robbo

I guess that any amp with a proper tonal palatte will sound 'lush' compared to the greyness and sterility of a bryston/PMC combo. I suppose some people just dont have very high aspirations.

Robbo, Jan 9, 2006
  5. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I beleive someone already said that in almost exactly the same words. Nice edit though! It wasnt true then either. I beleive accurate and low distortion is the phrase you are looking for. My aspirations are not "high" or "lush" - they are totally for accuracy. I was wondering when wadia shmeister would show up... good evening tony! I assume you will be picking on both sides as the opportunity presents itself? ;)

anon_bb, Jan 9, 2006
  6. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

I'd class that as putting your words in someones mouth.

Linearity and low distortion are two things I'd say are to be expected from most decent valve amps, the core reasons people choose valves over solid state as far as I understood.

greg, Jan 9, 2006
  7. anon_bb

Robbo

Absolutely, Greg. An example where valve amps hold the whip hand over solid state IME would be the subtle low level dynamic inflections that valve amps can reproduce. These make the music much more compelling and are completely lost on many solid state amps such as the Bryston.

anyway, lets get back to turntables. The brinkmann is the best TT on the planet, or so I have heard.

Robbo, Jan 9, 2006
  8. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Hmm.. both have different kinds of distortion. I have yet to hear a valve power amp that floats my boat though.

BBV if you do want accuracy have a home demo of the MEG RL-901K. Thorsten and I heard them against some PMC IB2's with a 4B-SST and the MEGs beat them down with a big stick! At only £8k for active large format monitors you would do well to hear them before changing your rig around to active. Might want a sub to extend below 30Hz though.

You will find them at KMR Audio on High Road, Whetstone.

Tenson, Jan 9, 2006
  9. anon_bb

No BBV, I just enjoy your total nerdness so much, it makes the day pass with a rye (but dry) smile

10. anon_bb

Robbo,

Please do tell me about the brinkmann, alas I feel empty and geekless unbless you brush my sadly lacking ego.........do tell all sir !!!!

11. anon_bb

Robbo

I've never heard one, but according to 'experts' that frequent internet forums, they are the best.

Me, I'll stick with my ****ty little CD player.

Robbo, Jan 9, 2006
  12. anon_bb

Robbo,

I'm saddened by the fact your none the wiser than I on this earth shattering matter,
    To whom prey tell do we seek such ancient and revered wisdom?
    I am now sinking into deep regression

13. anon_bb

Paul Ranson

'Linearity and low distortion' are the two things that are generally absent from all valve amps. People surely choose valve amps because they are non-linear, especially those with a low power output or with a single ended and/or low feedback topology.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 9, 2006
  14. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

Which people? Which amps?

greg, Jan 9, 2006
  15. anon_bb

JonR

Shurely "depression", eh Tone? :D

As we would all be, for never having heard a Brinkmann.. :rolleyes:

JonR, Jan 9, 2006
  16. anon_bb

No Jon,

Regression as I've missed the chance to have my life altered to the extent I need a to convert people to the faith of Brinkmann.
    Oh woe is me

17. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Linearity and low distortion? Hmm... Are you referring to the mythical "microdynamics" that like "inner detail" is a mythical invention of mags to sell extremely expensive amps with built in fancy light displays?

Tenson - perhaps I can come along and listen to a meg next time you get an opprtunity? Do they do their own electronics?

Looks like you brought your posse wadia ;) Shame you shot yourself in the foot with your prose. In fact i recommended Yorke not brinkmann - I only started talking about blg after I was urged to do so as Bub and SM clearly wanted to talk about it.

anon_bb, Jan 9, 2006
  18. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Greg,

Paul doesn't like valve amplifiers. He doesn't accept the belief that valves are the most linear of amplification devices. He hated having to listen to one recently.

BBV, If you want the mythical accuracy, you have gone about it the wrong way I'm afraid. I have never heard a single PMC Bryston combo sound authentic, and if it were accurate it would sound authentic. Do you mean accurate in the derogatory sense? (ie. dry, bland, sterile) If so then we may have some agreement but as things stand you have a poorly performing pair of pseudo studio monitors ( Confirmed by Thorsten), powered by some posh PA amps, and driven by a turntable that doesn't perform as intended unless setup on a laboratory vibration sink (which you don't own) and a home made phono stage. I hardly feel this constitutes sufficient grounds for the likes of Bub to give credance to your views.

Stereo Mic, Jan 9, 2006
  19. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

Interesting you might conclude people arent just expressing their own doubts or asking their own questions. Most folks here sail their own ship IME.

greg, Jan 9, 2006
  20. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Well SM I have heard them sound authentic. Frankly kondo didnt. Though it sounded "nice". I think thorsten can speak for himself without your assistence. As for the BLG an active isolation platform might be optimal but the townshend works pretty well. The phono is kit based but that hardly consitutes "home made", given that it comfortably beats the groove I had previously. Why dont you tell us in detail exactly what your system is given I have been gracious enough to do exactly that. Better still... bake off!

:bakeoff:

anon_bb, Jan 9, 2006
Ask a Question