Turntables...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006.

1. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

I'm not sure if they do their own electronics as in source and so on but they do the amps that go in the back. They are said to be the weakness of the RL-901K, but they still sounded very good. Amazingly revealing.

I would suggest you simply call up Nick at KMR (google KMR Audio) and ask to home demo the MEG RL901K. They are extremely nice. They did not bat and eyelid when T and I spend most of an afternoon there and didn't buy a damn thing yet listened to loud music!

I would be grateful for another chance to hear them though if you do demo them. I don't think there is really any point in shop demos to be honest. It can give you an idea of what something can do, but if you want to tell if it is going to replace what you have, you need to hear it in the same place and in the same system.

I'm not saying they sounded 'good' at KMR, but they sounded the best of what we heard there and there was a lot of detail and quite good imaging.

I know my PMC and Bryston rig doesn't sound anything like what you lot are describing... funny. :(

What exactly is it valve amps are linear to?

Tenson, Jan 9, 2006
  2. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

BBV,

I don't feel the need to brag endlessly about how utterly great my system is, I prefer to listen to it. I am sure you would be totally unfamiliar with the majority of it's constituent parts anyway.

Were you pi$$ed at the time? Perhaps New years Eve?

Stereo Mic, Jan 9, 2006
  3. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

IME I'd agree with Mike in both respects. Whilst I ackowledge that the combo at the higher end (of their ranges) is a decent proposition for power and whump, which are things I like to have in a system, regards presence, naturalness and the "suspension of belief" factors? No way.

I'd never in a million years consider forking out for a Kondo setup and I'm not remotely suggesting an issue of value for money but there do set themselves apart in these areas In my limited experience.

greg, Jan 9, 2006
  4. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Blimey. "some of the vices"? There are a lot of vices? It's just not what I've read about the SME deck, over the years. Reviewers are unanimous that it is an exceptionally neutral device, and seem pretty hard-pressed to say anything bad about it. Apart from one person - you.

I watched an excellent programme tonight about the problems associated with religions around the World. You remind me of the Fundamentalists who see the World and its questions in black-and-white.

The Devil, Jan 9, 2006
  5. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Tenson - what is your actual setup at the moment? Sure I would love to dem the megs v active mb2. That will tell me all I need to know. What kind of deals will kmr strike? Which meg model is the top one? You are right - its just valve hyperbole - pmc and bryston is utterly realistic.

SM - nonsense you are as bad as I am. I didnt even go on about the BLG until you and Bub pushed me into doing so. I recommended the yorke - which I dont even own.

Greg - not to me they didnt. They definately added something significant to the sound and thats what people appear to like. I liked it too. But it wasnt on the record.

Bub - I am not the only one. What you mean to say is that you have never read any reviews that dont like the sme. I suggest you buy the sme and some valves and horns to go with it. Without listening first :p I saw that programme too - bizarrely I imagined you reading reviews much like that convert to islam read the quoran.

anon_bb, Jan 9, 2006
  6. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Tenson,

Stereo Mic, Jan 9, 2006
  7. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

I though the Atheist Oxford Profession did a very poor and exceptionally patronising job of trying to present the philosophy of atheism. The old Bertrand Russell teapot argument just took the p*ss.

The fact he referred to faith in terms of issues of evidence showed his remarkably poor (apparent) grasp of logic.

greg, Jan 9, 2006
  8. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

No, all the reviews I've read basically said "buy one now".

Why? It's a source device, and should work very well indeed with the rest of my gear.

Your experience of the SME (and most of the other hi-fi which you write about) is limited to shop auditions, yet you write about it as if you are an expert. You aren't.

The Devil, Jan 9, 2006
  9. anon_bb

Paul Ranson

Erm. People who prefer valve amps. Valve amps. Especially the SET and low output sort which have chronic distortion.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 9, 2006
  10. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

I thought he did very well, and was remarkably tolerant towards the obnoxious people who he met. Particularly that smug Colorado Pastor.

The Devil, Jan 9, 2006
  11. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

He was certainly way more tolerant than almost any of the "religious" folk. Nice guy, but he seemed incapable of forming any real argument of any kind.

greg, Jan 10, 2006
  12. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Not my impression, but there you go.

The Devil, Jan 10, 2006
  13. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

So valve amps have a naturally more linear output than transistor amps. Transistor amps can use negative feedback to cancel this but it doesn't work so well on transients and has far lower but odd order harmonic distortion. Valve amps have less power and don't need NFB but have more distortion, all be it even harmonic.

Sounds like they are both a compromise to me.

I'm afraid my experience (and thats all it is, I don't for a minute want to tell you what to think) was that valve amps have too much distortion, even if it is 'pleasant'.

BBV, my current setup is a Cambridge Audio DiscMagic transport, Behringer DEQ2496 as room correction and DAC, Django passive pre, PMC AML1's. A lot of very good room treatment.

The Amps in the PMC's are the same circuitry as a 3B-ST for woofers and a 2B-ST for tweeters. Active crossover is the same as a 10B but obviously without all the other options to adjust.

DAC is next and then a Sub (maybe) and then a transport if I find it makes a difference.

I’m not sure what deals KMR will do but they are a high end pro audio dealer so I expect they will do the same as most Hi-Fi shops will. I don’t see a home demo being a problem. Especially as you are close.

P.S. Its amazing how everybody goes to bed as soon as it hits midnight! Its like Cinderella!

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2006
    Tenson, Jan 10, 2006
  14. anon_bb

greg Its a G thing

Especially considering most of them are actually forum bot software. Ah - I guess the AI is smart enough ot make them appear like they go to bed.

For what it's worth I ought to be in bed (up at 0600) but I have work to do.

greg, Jan 10, 2006
  15. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

Lol! That explains the repetitive comments! Reminds me of that old DOS psychiatrist program. Why is it that [Screw you] makes you feel this way? Could you be blaming your own problems on [Screw you]? I am sorry you can not hear the difference that the cable [Screw you] makes to the sound...

Tenson, Jan 10, 2006
  16. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

You don't have much experience then do you young man.

SET distortion rises dramatically with load and output. Other types of valve amplification do not exceed 1% THD at full power, and less than 0.1% at typical levels. Used with efficicent loudspeakers where only about 1 watt is required, you get the best of both worlds. Sadly with SS, it's f***ed already.

Stereo Mic, Jan 10, 2006
  17. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes bub - the reviews said to buy one and you did. With no other evidence. Reviews are a 1000 times less reliable than a shop dem. You know what Dawkins had to say about blind faith. You are outsourcing the decision as well as the listening it seems. You arent an expert on the sme either - in fact you have no experience of the deck at all.

Faith can be referred to in terms of evidence - that was his whole point. The teapot argument reveals the whole thing as the absurdity it is. I found his arguments cogent and compelling. As well as hilarious!

Certainly bubs hifi practices could be explained by a bot scanning reviews and linked to a payment account ;).

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  18. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

I guess the alternative is to become the bain of dealers' lives, talked about and ridiculed years after the event, eh Nick?

Stereo Mic, Jan 10, 2006
  19. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I beleive that is spelt "bane". I very much doubt any of them remember me SM. If they find my practices amusing then good for them.

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  20. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Oh I think you might be rather surprised Nick. You are a true legend.

Stereo Mic, Jan 10, 2006
Ask a Question