Wm goes Thermionic

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Aug 11, 2005.

1. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

Very true. Luckily I dont like low sensitivity speakers - mine are 92 db/wm. Sometimes big does actually mean better ;)

I compared with avant garde duos.

Seriously though - its all good! Diveristy is good for all of us in the audio community!

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
  2. wadia-miester

blakeaudio

even with 8 watts, 92db speakers should get you about 101db, which i would suggest is louder than would be comfortable.....

blakeaudio, Aug 15, 2005
  3. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

I will get out my spl meter and check - as I recall my system can peak to 122dB. Not sure how loud I have taken it though. Metal doesnt sound great with valves and horns in my experience - but I stand ready to be corrected. The system works well with delicate music too - on female voice it sounded better than with a set of valve based amps and avantgarde duos. Guess I am not ready to go thermionic quite yet...

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
  4. wadia-miester

blakeaudio

well an afternoon at merlin's confirmed that from the seating area, 95db was more than loud enough!

blakeaudio, Aug 15, 2005
  5. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

Did you play any punk? ;-)

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
  6. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Howabout a seperate thread how great are my atc's please :)

wadia-miester, Aug 15, 2005
  7. wadia-miester

jtc

WM, you'd better watch: you might find that the second system starts to displace the first one. Anyway, we mustn't be seen to agree - it's bad form, as I don't really rate ATCs (or at least was at best underwhelmed by the 2 sets of 50s and the 1 pair of 100s I've heard, impressively loud and clear though they all were).

So, horses for courses...

John (proud to wear his MiniMax on his sleeve as his main system)

PS. Would love to try a pair of AvantGardes, but my wife thinks they look 'orrid. Heaven forbid she should see some of the speakers out there ;)

jtc, Aug 15, 2005
  8. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

John,
    I was being micky takey as its the 'in speaker' presently, Me I feel they're just a quality studio monitor :)
    AS for the MM making first system, hummm. its good but a seriously long way to travel before it approachs how I feel music should be.
    Lets just say if the MM is 100% then the first system is 500% and leave it at that.
    Do you have the matching power amp as well then John?

wadia-miester, Aug 15, 2005
  9. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

People hear what they want to hear.

The Devil, Aug 15, 2005
  10. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes I dont like atc either.

Avantardes are good but they are so damn directional! Move your head 1cm and all the treble vanishes from one speaker unless they are positioned just so (and even then). Treble can be a bit fierce without a valve pre to smooth it out a bit. My only quibble was that the bass wasnt that integrated or impressive. Guess you might need the basshorns to do that properly ;).

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
  11. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

12. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

anniversary

sorry still not tempted - I have found a pair of bb5-xbd-a with my name on. Hope you understand!

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
  13. wadia-miester

The Devil IHTFP

I honestly don't care what you use: I'll never hear it.

And, hey, it's hi-fi, guys. All opinions are valid, even the wrong ones!

The Devil, Aug 15, 2005
  14. wadia-miester

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

thats exactly right bub :)

the definition of a wrong opinion ''someone who has a different opinion to me''

bottleneck, Aug 15, 2005
  15. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

Lol. Almost always the case. If only people could own up that their own opinion is sometimes incorrect. But what a boring forum this would be then!

You never know bub - if you are well behaved I might let you in.

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
  16. wadia-miester

merlin

you start us off then...

merlin, Aug 15, 2005
  17. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

Lead by example merlin.

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
  18. wadia-miester

merlin

Have done many times. Now it's your turn. After all you suggested it didn't you - or was that just a petty attempt to have a dig at another member?

merlin, Aug 15, 2005
  19. wadia-miester

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Well, I measured the SPL during a performance of Mussorskies "Pictures" in the RFH, 2nd or 3rd row center (eg. loud seats).

The quietest passages where around 35db, the loudest 95db, all unweighted but slow average. Knowing the ballistics of real music and of the meter I would suggest that peaks where at least 15-20db higher than the slow average I measured. This was NOT particulary loud.

My current system can come with only slightly compressed recorded music to similar SPL's, but just about and the strain becomes notable and I am sure that high peaks are in fact clipped, but as SE Valve Amp's clip gracefully and recover well from instantanious overload this is not very noticable.

For the record, I have 99db/1W/1m (and not 2.83V/1m, which can be highly misleading) Speakers and Amplifiers in the "8W Class", 108db/1m and in my situation with 3m listening distance 105db undistorted peaks for a stereo pair are possible, with probably around 6db overdrive inaudible.

BTW, 1200W with 92db/W/m would in theory produce 123db, however, as any dynamic speaker is subject to thermal compression these 123db are not achievable, in fact, I'd be surprised if at 1200W not at least 4-6db thermal compression make themselves felt.

It would be good to know the conditions under which the 122db SPL was measured....

For the record, I make all absolute SPL measurements with pink noise and unweighted, slow average (unless specified differently), an approach that usually yields the lowest measured SPL of all methodes but which I found to have a good match to subjectively percieved SPL.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Aug 15, 2005
  20. wadia-miester

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually I beleive Bottleneck started that line of discussion. Noones having any dig. Though I dont recall you ever making any such admission to my knowledge ;)

3dsonics - yes thats true however the 126db refers to peak - which will be higher than continuous and which makes up the difference. Is your location a literary reference by any chance? I havent measured the speakers myself I just note the figures on the spec sheet - they may well be overegging the pudding by a few dB.

anon_bb, Aug 15, 2005
Ask a Question