active vibration management

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Sep 16, 2005.

1. anon_bb

zanash

the devil .........I bet, has never replaced his Mana gear with a pnumatic system support. As you have so frequently repeated in posts over the last couple of years

So exactly how in any empirical way can you say these have no effect ?

just to add that I've made several version, each sounded different both on TT and cdp.

I have a floating shelf on my flexy that reduces ground bourne vibration to a fraction, currently on sorbthane pucks rather than air for the moment .

As an aside my tt hates the flexy...so contiues to sit on it origin live skyline.

zanash, Sep 16, 2005
  2. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Yes, I have tried the Seismic Disappointment in my system, thank-you.

The Devil, Sep 16, 2005
  3. anon_bb

analoguekid Planet Rush

Nick, the dealer who sells SY in Glasgow, likes the townshend stuff, but I have never seen him use it with the yorke, he places this on a BCD rack, and this is his own personal one, he has never suggested (and we have discussed it as I want a yorke) that it requires or has even suggested the use of isolation, in fact you are the first to mention Michael Fremers design as needing anti vibration platforms.

If when I finally get round to my onw s7 I shall be using on a mass loaded rack, nothing else, if it doesn't work like that I'll buy an oracle

analoguekid, Sep 16, 2005
  4. anon_bb

analoguekid Planet Rush

IIRC we discussed this James, am I right in thinking you borrowed one from Jack Lawson.

I tried one recently, and after faffing for an hour to get it level (nearly it was for use with a non suspended TT) it just sounded wrong, slow and lacking in life, perhaps a modicum of resonance is often desirable

analoguekid, Sep 16, 2005
  5. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

All record players, regardless of their design, should benefit from effective vibration isolation. The only debate is what kind is best.

No, Tony (WM) brought one up, and we tried it beneath two CDPs. I think it just stores vibrational energy, there's nowhere for the vibration to go, except back into the deck.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2005
    The Devil, Sep 16, 2005
  6. anon_bb

Alex S User

Slate is definately an excellent place to start (and in my case, end).

Alex S, Sep 16, 2005
  7. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

AK - then you need to talk to Yorke himself as my friend who owns the s8 did. I havent seen the bcd rack so I cant comment but perhaps he gets better margin on those or just cant be bothered. Or perhaps he is worried the additional cost will put people off. Vibraplanes are too expensive so most people dont want to bother with the overhead. Me included which is why I am looking at lab sem isolation. If you hear the difference I will bet you will be as keen to isolate as I am ;-), especially if the oracle cant match the s7. The s7 will sound good just on slate but it will sound better with active or air isolation.

At least one usa dealer doesnt dem the brinkmann with the correct isolation - which is why I am betting two people in the US have preferred the sme30. Dealers often dont follow recommendations and often just plain get things wrong.

Bub - I can only infer what you are posting on this thread from others quoting you as I have blocked you. I hope you are discussing on topic.

anon_bb, Sep 16, 2005
  8. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

No, I am mainly discussing fish.

The Devil, Sep 16, 2005
  9. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

I have to say, I don't get on with pneumatic supports. They are either poorly designed and require constant attention (Townsend) or ridiculously expensive.

I have to say, there is a lot to be said for a turntable that features it's own optimised suspension system that is designed to work on an inert surface.

Simply buy a slab of something and away you go. It is for this reason that I dismissed the Yorke & Brinkmann when choosing my TT. I wanted someone to offer me a complete solution and neither was able to provide it sadly.

The Sounds of Silence isolation feet might well work well with these products if sandwiched between a couple of slbs of slate on a heavy mass loaded platform.

Stereo Mic, Sep 16, 2005
  10. anon_bb

Alex S User

Old Trout.

Alex S, Sep 16, 2005
  11. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

To balance that (no pun intended), the other possibility is that the SME30 is actually a better deck. My own experiences, although not in a direct comparison would suggest that might well be the case, although of course, this is highly subjective.

Stereo Mic, Sep 16, 2005
  12. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Saw the Buzzcocks there in Windsor! Great Venue

Stereo Mic, Sep 16, 2005
  13. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

My townshend turntable stand needs no attention except for a few pumps twice a year. The speaker stand does though, maybe every few weeks.

Active isolation can be made self levelling so it is no hassle at all. If you go for an ex-lab solution it isnt even that expensive.

Yes suspended decks are a good practical solution - however I want ultimate performance not ease of use. Suspended decks have their own compromsies and they cant be overcome as those of non-suspended decks can simply by using an external isolation system. So for me non-suspended is easier and sounds better. Just buy isolation off ebay - no hassle. Look at it in the same way as buying a cable.

Brinkmann can also provide the HRS system if you just want a slab of something - which has been specifically designed for the BL by HRS.

The sme30 is a very good deck and if you want a one piece solution without additional isolation it might well be better. However using the BL as it was designed, to me it sounds better and you should compare the two taking this into account before making a definitive statement given that it is part of the design.

anon_bb, Sep 16, 2005
  14. anon_bb

zanash

hells teeth .....have you ! I withdraw the accusation......was this before the Mana gear ?

zanash, Sep 16, 2005
  15. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Interesting. I would have to say that all of the decks I have heard that offered ultimate performance offered some form of suspended subchassis. SME, Vpi HRX, Thorens Ref, Blue Pearl. All suspended. Do you not feel that a solid plinth is simply a way of providing superb engineering at a low cost?

Stereo Mic, Sep 16, 2005
  16. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Suspended decks are effective in both terms of cost and performance - and its harder to make non-suspended work properly. But it can be done. And it costs more, though very expensive suspended decks do exist. Part of the expense being getting suspension compromises minimised - which kind of defeats the point.

I dont feel the BL has been designed to give solid engineering at a low cost ;) Its only just below the price of the sme 30 and prob would come out at about the same cost with the isolation included. I think the choice is one of engineering philosophy.

What did you think of the BP and the vpi? I havent heard those yet.

I am really enjoying this thread though - bring on more informed difference of opinion!

anon_bb, Sep 16, 2005
  17. anon_bb

johnhunt recidivist

god help me. this is probably the most boring thread i've ever seen. pardon the expression but change the record

johnhunt, Sep 16, 2005
  18. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

This thread is about active isolation and is going to carry on in the same vein - I suggest you stop viewing it if you find the topic (or me) dull ;)

anon_bb, Sep 16, 2005
  19. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

The topic's fascinating, and good to see BBV on the back foot.

The Devil, Sep 16, 2005
  20. anon_bb

penance Arrogant Cock

Wrong, the basic principles of pneumatic suspension disagree with you.

penance, Sep 16, 2005
Ask a Question