Another pointless Mana debate

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Sep 2, 2004.

1. The Devil

Robbo

Eh? You guys were best buddies 5 minutes ago :confused:

Robbo, Sep 3, 2004
  2. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

I really can't understand why you (analoguekid) and penance are in such a huff (should that be two separate huffs, or one collective one?). All I am doing is trying to help you with suggestions as to how you might improve your sound. I thought that was what these forums were all about.

Ho hum.

The Devil, Sep 3, 2004
  3. The Devil

analoguekid Planet Rush

Julian I whole heartadly agree wth you, it's because of these comments that I have resorted to this over reaction, I have always beleived that this hobby is subjective, whatever PR says I don't profess to having the best system or all the answers, I have said that James' sytem does bass better than "what I'm used to" but that I prefer the other things that mine does, i don't then follow it up with subtle comments that smack of elitism and arrogant self righteousness. His comments are almost sneering for example "yes you like your system" but then sneeringly adding but to these ears it doesn't sound as good as whatI'm used to and I'm used to the best there is, everyone else thinks so"

I would extend an offer to you Ju if yer ever in MNOTW then please pop over for some beer and a listen to some toons I may ven have som Ant Forcione by that time, I would also love to hear yours especially as it is a bit different from the norm.

analoguekid, Sep 3, 2004
  4. The Devil

analoguekid Planet Rush

Doesn't mean I have to see the annoying posts he puts up Robbo, the funny thing with James is that outwith cybespace he's really a nice guy.

analoguekid, Sep 3, 2004
  5. The Devil

Robbo

He's a doctor for god's sake! What do you expect :)

Robbo, Sep 3, 2004
  6. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Analoguekid,

I didn't read Paul Ranson's comments that way at all. I think you should perhaps try to put all this into perspective. There's no point in getting upset by what other people think.

My system has been thoroughly "dissed" on-line by many people, including your good self when you compared it with a £100 ghetto-blaster! Do I mind? Not a bit.

The Devil, Sep 3, 2004
  7. The Devil

analoguekid Planet Rush

BTW I saw this from my mailwasher account, and have taken you off ignore list to answer this.

Your post James explains exactly why we are in the huff as you put it, where did Andy and I ask for you opinion on how we can improve on something that we are already happy with, and even if we asked for your advice, what makes you think you are correct all the time, did you ever consider that you may be wrong.

analoguekid, Sep 3, 2004
  8. The Devil

Heath

Well, if he's going to do an accurate analysis of your room, rather than the theoretical physics he got wrong earlier, he'll also need to know the dimensions, positions and acoustic properties of all your furniture too. Most people find it easier and more accurate to find the acoustic properties of a room by taking readings within the room, but I'm sure others will disagree.

Heath

Heath, Sep 3, 2004
  9. The Devil

analoguekid Planet Rush

James I never asked you to comment on my system and never said any negative remarks regarding yours until you proceeded to tell me something I never asked for. When will you realise that sometimes peoples opinions are neither wanted or needed, here's a suggestion, wait till your advice is asked for before passing comment, it makes life so much more harmonious, James you are becoming a BOOR, and I know that deep down you are a nice guy and being a boor doesn't suit you

analoguekid, Sep 3, 2004
  10. The Devil

analoguekid Planet Rush

Heath don't defend him, it will only make him worse, let him do his own research to disprove Merlin's theories, instead of spouting nonsense, that he has picked up from others.

analoguekid, Sep 3, 2004
  11. The Devil

julian2002 Muper Soderator

guys, calm down. it's only hi-fi, it's not like its religon or anything... oh HOBBY we may have a problem. bub, please no strapping vials of those killer, antibiotic resistant bugs to yourself and then hurling yourself at ak screaming HOBBY akbar.
    ak, that goes double for you too
    and penance, please stop work on your prof farnsworth stylee doomsday device you've been working on in your spare room.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Sep 3, 2004
  12. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

This is getting good.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Sep 3, 2004
  13. The Devil

analoguekid Planet Rush

Ok Ju you playing Dad then :D

analoguekid, Sep 3, 2004
  14. The Devil

tones compulsive cantater

All together now...

Our HOBBY
    Who art in HiFi
    Hallowed be thy Naim
    Thy upgrades come
    Thy will be done on earth as it is in Angelsey
    Give us this day our daily thread
    And forgive us our trespasses
    As we forgive them that trespass against our better taste
    And lead us often into temptation
    But deliver us from sceptics
    For thine is the cable
    The Mana, the green pen
    For ever and ever
    Amen

tones, Sep 3, 2004
  15. The Devil

Sgt Rock

A bad recording is still a bad recording "Quod erat demonstrandum" back at you :p

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2004
    Sgt Rock, Sep 3, 2004
  16. The Devil

Heath

Sorry, didn't realise it was Bub-baiting season. Do we just insult his ATCs or can we use sharp sticks too?

Heath

Heath, Sep 3, 2004
  17. The Devil

dunkyboy

How 'bout we all just assume that from now on, everything said by anyone on this forum, ever, has an invisible 'IMHO' in front of it. Will that keep everyone happy? (I've been doing this for years and it seems to work for me.)

I've always taken Bub's 'arrogance' as just a facet of his charming persona, and I've never taken offence at it (perhaps easier for me than some, given I'm also an active ATC devotee ;) ). Sometimes it's good to be mild-mannered. :)

Can't we all just get along? (Or would that be too boring for this forum..?)

Dunc

dunkyboy, Sep 3, 2004
  18. The Devil

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Gee whiz, some blows being Parried at the end there, Seems I've missed all the fun, never got to fire a shot let alone a full spread@ Maxium yeild, oh well take us out of bass less combat zone No.1

wadia-miester, Sep 3, 2004
  19. The Devil

Paul Ranson

Julian wrote,
    which is my point exactly. But then the Milkybar Kid quoted Julian and wrote,
    So now I'm very confused.

'Hifi' is by definition an absolute goal, a goal which can be pretty much defined, and about which we can make some objective judgments. I don't see why this is controversial, or why a choice to follow a slightly divergent path causes so much angst.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 3, 2004
  20. The Devil

Paul Ranson

Analoguekid(!) wrote a rather rambling post that included,
    Almost every band I've ever seen has the bassist to the left or right and the drums in the centre. Almost every stereo recording I have of a band presents an image that matches this.

For an example I have a soft spot for the Deep Purple live recording 'Made in Japan'. At least the Osaka tracks are recorded left-right reversed. But the drummer sounds right handed, which is normal. Examination of photos however shows that the drummer is actually playing left handed. The mix produces a stereo image of the drums, the bass is to the right of the hi-hat and snare, where it should be left, the lead guitar is left when it should be right, the organ right when it should be left. Vocals are mixed to the centre.

What does it sound like on your system?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Sep 3, 2004
Ask a Question