Do cables make a difference ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanash

Saab

So its scientific for silver and copper to sound the same? How?

Saab, Nov 5, 2005
  2. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

No conspiracy theory just an emergent property of human networks when everyone is trying to look after their own interests - a bit like politicians lining their own pockets. Truly the emporer has no clothes.

The original study of bees showed that convential ideas of lift from aerodynamics could not account for its flight. Subsequent study has shown the the flexure and rotation of the bees wings creats trailing wingtip vortices that provide the extra lift through turbulence. At no time was it in any doubt that bees could fly.

People CLAIM to hear a difference. If you take two identical cables but paint one gold people will claim there is a big difference between the two. Lets put that too the test in a way that eliminates placebo or expectation. Surprise surprise then the effect vanishes. Science is not obliged to explain until it is beyond reasonable doubt that an effect exists. People used to think the earth was flat but it was not - so peoples claims are not "sufficient evidence" and questioning those claims is good rather than bad science.

In any cable comparison of course earthing conditions should be addressed and made identical so that we are not hearing those effects rather than differences due to the cable itself. Any remaining difference will be due to the LCR cable characteristics and how they interact with the input and output characterisitcs of the equipment they are connecting - which is likely to be minimal. In other words cables that do sound ddifferent can be tracked back to not being electrically equivalent. Take a piece of bell wire and nordost that measure the same, have the same earthing arragement and the same terminations and I bet you cant tell them apart.

anon_bb, Nov 5, 2005
  3. zanash

Active Hiatus

questioning any claim is worthwhile especially if it can elicit an answer. Yours is the first that actually goes beyond a bald statement of belief. Thank you.

Active Hiatus, Nov 5, 2005
  4. zanash

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

In that case the subject must not know what is being tested.

The subject of statistics has made appearence before.

Prior to giving these "challenge" statistics any (unwarranted) credence, please make sure to sufficiently understand what is underlying. And ask yourself carefully why real, serious scientific studies (as opposed to parlour trickery) work with fairly study groups and not individuals.

I'm getting sick and tierd to repeat this again and again, so I'll leave it at that and will not bother to repeat the stuff again. Kindly read the "Philosophy" thread on more stuff, to save me typing the stuff again.

I even agree, as the cable that measures identical will be indistiguishable physically (maerials, construction etc.) from nordost, so it will measure the same and sound the same.

Of course, non of this gets us anywhere!

Ciao T

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2005
    3DSonics, Nov 5, 2005
  5. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

Well it does tell us that paying 1000s of pounds for a cable is insupportable and that surely is what this is all about!

You have mistaken what I said. Sighted they will claim the two cables sound different. Blind (as indicated by my comment about removing expectation) they will not be able to distinguish them reliably. Of course to test this scientifically you need many listeners or many tests or preferably both. Though for practical purposes getting the guy that makes the claim to run 20 or so tests will certainly say something of value in the sense that it can be compared with 20 tests of comparing FM with AM radio which I would warrant even a partially deaf listener could distinuish 20 times out of 20 say. My point is about the validity of "claims" and the value of blind testing.

anon_bb, Nov 5, 2005
  6. zanash

michaelab desafinado

Absolutely not and I can't see how that can possibly be infered from what I posted :confused: . What I said was that if people are making a claim that is counter to current received wisdom the onus is on them to provide strong evidence of their claim before it's worth investigating. Strong evidence is not "I heard a difference - and incidentally so did my granny". As BBV has said, rebutting claims with no evidence to back them up is actually good science.

In the case of audible differences in audio only a statistically valid double-blind test can provide that evidence. To claim that this kind of test doesn't work for audio is patently untrue. ABX tests
    have shown that people can easily distinguish the difference between speakers, <1dB level differences, low pass filters and many other differences. See here for some results.

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 6, 2005
  7. zanash

lhatkins Dazed and Confused

cables do make a difference, but price doesn't, I've tried a few different cables in my system, which are of the £30-£50 region, put a pair of Nordost £100+ cables, into the mix and actually made the system sound worse, I've got better results from home made cable, now work that out. :)

lhatkins, Nov 6, 2005
  8. zanash

Hi,

Double blind testing does work, however, when strong convictions modreate our perception (as they do) a strong randomising is added, or in other words the noise levels go way up, technically speaking and the only way to obtain what happens below the that noisefloor CAN be brought out, but only by drastically increasing the sample size.

The previously mentioned 17/20 challenge for example for example falls under "poor science" in virtually any field, not just audio even in absence of strong convitions on the part of the subject. These "challenges" work the very same confidence tricsters do, they provide no information of use.

So ABX testing in audio is usefull, but STRICTLY if sample sizes are selected to ensure the results can be meaningful and only in cases where the "personal bias" problem can be overcome.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 6, 2005
  9. zanash

michaelab desafinado

If people are merely asked to detect a difference and aren't told whether what they're listening to is 2 different cables or 2 different CDPs (or whatever) then how can strong convictions or "personal bias" or whatever you want to call it come into it?

In any case, this is irrelevant as ABX tests for things which are known to be audible (such as a 0.3dB level difference or a 40Hz high pass filter) will always give you a positive result. Oddly enough, ABX tests show that things that have reason to be audible are audible and things that don't (such as cables) are not...but of course since they don't give you the answer you want there must be something wrong with the test :rolleyes: .

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 6, 2005
  10. zanash

Hi,

I repeatedly suggested in the strongest possible terms that people should check the conditions and context that derived the data many, if not most published ABX tests are/where based. Clearly you did not bother, if you did you would know the answers to your own questions.

Are you prepared to actually understand what was going on and why most (if not all) of the data from that corner is best ignored and NOT mentioned? If so apply yourself to studying the subject, if you prefer to keep your convictions as they are, don' t check.

When will "you people" learn that just because a superficially scientific methode appears to be employed there is no garantee whatsoever that in fact the experiments where truely scientific and not just parlour tricks dressed up in drag?

L8er T

3DSonics, Nov 6, 2005
  11. zanash

Decca

There well could be 3 issues here.

1. The mechanics (science) of transmitting information along a cable

2. The interaction of the cable with other equipment ie speakers

3. The ability of the brain to perceive any distortions caused by 1. and/or 2.

Decca, Nov 6, 2005
  12. zanash

Active Hiatus

It can be argued that current received wisdom within the hi-fi community (both users and producers) is that cables do make a difference. I know you disagree but this is where the two sides differ. If it was "obvious" that cable claims were working contrary to science as it's currently understood it should be possible for you to point people to the papers that prove this. It is not a matter of you proving anything or testing the claims but telling people they are wrong without giving an explanation is not good. You made a statement earlier
    You seem certain therefore I can assume you know how cable and electricity work. If that is the case then it is reasonable to ask for evidence. As you say, if you make a statement it is reasonable to challenge it to see if it stands up.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, although I found the results I missed any information on the testing proceedure, sample size and the like.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
    Active Hiatus, Nov 6, 2005
  13. zanash

Stereo Mic

ABX, it must be remembered, is a business.

It would not be in their interests for people to perceive their product as anything other than scientific. The 40hz filter for instance, gives a veneer of authenticity, but frankly you would have to be semi deaf not to hear the affect a filter like that produces.

Stereo Mic, Nov 6, 2005
  14. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

Please remember that there is an inverse relation between evidence and sample size. A small number of tests CAN be significant however the evidence needs to be very strong. I suspect a 17/20 test for AM v FM using a single listener would reveal statisitically highly signfificant results when assessed using students t. Therefore if a single person could do the same for two cables unsighted it would likewise be significant. However this is unlikely to occur I would suspect and say 11/20 would require many listeners to see if the effect was signficant or not.

anon_bb, Nov 6, 2005
  15. zanash

Effem Cable manufacturer

The problem here is that "differences" DO exist between cables but nobody yet has proved objectively that they do and the reasons why are simply understood.

As ACTIVE HIATUS rightly says, science as it stands cannot be bothered to take up the challenge to find out why cables make a difference, because it's perfectly content in it's current stance of stating that known science dictates that cable differences do not and cannot happen. For science to take another step forward in it's understanding of the subject it wants MONEY to do just that and anyone who thinks that science will conduct intensive costly research without funding is living in cuckoo land TBH. Is it a major advance that will get us nearer the planets, end world poverty, or cure incurable diseases? No, it would only be done to stop endless debates like this amongst a tiny fractional minority of the population and that puts it all into proper perspective.

Arguably, the big cable manufacturers COULD put their heads together to fund this research, but what in reality is their motivation for doing so? None is the true answer, because they are doing quite nicely thank you without it and the prime example is Eupen who do publish their objective tests for all to see and has that put them at the very top of the cable sales tree? Nope. Does any buyer actually use that objective information in an informed buying decision? I doubt it.

Forget objective testing then you say, give us a double blind test as SOME form of reliable proof. Some have tried and failed miserably, not because a double blind test is an impossible dream, but because all the right ingrediens have never been in the same place at the same time for it to succeed. The Nordost Valhalla test was doomed to fail because:-

a) IMHO the cable itself wasn't one by which ALL other cables are to be be judged by. Nordost are excellent at marketing and promotion hence you all recognise the name, but the cable that I think would wipe the floor with the Valhalla few have ever heard of. *See below

b) The listening panel choice was flawed from the very start and some posts on this thread have explained the possible reasons why.

c) Only the one hi-fi system being used with cable swapping going on is bad news because it's said that sonic memory retention in humans cannot cope with breaks whereas instantanous switching will produce better results. Nobody yet has done this.

d) Bias was AUTOMATICALLY present because the listening panel knew well in advance they were going to be attending a listening test. This is my opinion coloured the final results whatever they were.

e) The biggest killer of all was that no money was used to conduct the test properly. All done on the cheap, relying on goodwill. Few people realise just how much time, money and organisation needs to be sunk into preparing a properly conducted blind test and a bunch of middle aged men slung into a poorly set up room, only one unfamiliar hi-fi system being used, unfamiliar source material, one Nordost mains cable on trial and one kettle cord do not a blind test make.

I run a cable making business (in case you didn't realise) and I have conducted double blind tests that were successful, not for "proving" anything to the outside world but to validate that the product intended for sale did actually have sound enhancing properties, not my enthusiasm and plainly obvious bias getting the better of my commercial judgement. * See above. Not one of mine I may add.

Is it all a dream, figment of people's imagination, or merely placebo? In my opinion placebo is a medical phenomena rather than one which directly applies to audiophools. "Expectation" is I think a better word in this instance and even then I say it works only once as a one shot effect, because when people can swap back and forth at will for days, weeks and months later and consistently repeat what they hear, then the expectation and placebo argument dilutes very quickly. When they call in another independant party (friends or wives) in an improvised unplanned blind test to confirm what is believed to be heard and under those conditions another person also hears the same differences, then IMHO expectation, placebo and imagination begin to hold considerably less worth in the debate.

The only time objective measurements are going to be made in the scientific world to end the debate is when someone stumps up the money to do it. Anyone going to pass the hat around for a collection? :eek:

Effem, Nov 6, 2005
  16. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

You cannot state they DO exist you can only state you BELIEVE they exist (and are attributable to cable design rather than some other effect like emergent earthing properties) until there is objective or verified subjective evidence. Currently that does not exist so you cant state it as if it is already proven and use that as your starting pont - thats unscientific. Objective proof costs money but verification of subjective impressions does not. Every attempt I have ever seen has drawn a blank. If you have evidence and results then please present it along with your methodology.

anon_bb, Nov 6, 2005
  17. zanash

wolfgang

Why should people spend limited research grants to help you sale your products? No. Cables manufacturers or perhaps audiophiles themselves have to come up with the some good quality ABX studies to demonstrate it is worth their effort to look furhter into this.

wolfgang, Nov 6, 2005
  18. zanash

Effem Cable manufacturer

I don't believe for one minute that spending money on objective research would catapult the sales of cable vendors. Nor do I believe that a successful ABX would prompt the interest of the scientific community enough to carry out a full research apart from casual curiosity, which certainly doesn't warrant spending valuable resources.

Again, those that currently cannot hear a perceived difference would still not do so after a successful ABX or objective results, much less prompt them to buy sooper dooper cables after fully validated results are published ;)

The best proof of all is already in place if you ask me; the combined cable sales of all the cable makers worldwide must simply be mindblowing (up in the millions each year) and economic scale dictates that there MUST be something in the phenomena otherwise it would have died a death long ago. I don't think a cable maker can stay financially viable if more than 10% of their cables are being returned because they produce no differences of any kind. Returns are a very expensive proposition to a cable maker because it can destroy cashflow through issuing the refund, losing the postage sending back and forth, the resale of the returned cable isn't easy unless it's in pristine condition and the time/money all that takes is quite considerable. Perhaps it does happen and that's why some vendors ask ridiculous prices to allow for these eventualities?

We can almost safely assume therefore that the 90% or greater that do not get returned are kept because some benefit was derived from them. Balance that against the tiny minority of those folks that say cables cannot and will not make a difference and the sheer numbers overwhelm the sceptics many fold. Who is brave enough to say that all those MILLIONS have been comprehensively hoodwinked into believing that a perceived difference was noted by the recipients when in objective fact there was none?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2005
    Effem, Nov 6, 2005
  19. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

I am.

That is the most irrelevent argument I have ever heard. People used to all beleive the world was flat and everybody bought maps showing the world was flat. Yet the idea was wrong and all the millions of maps that were sold were wrong and the millions of people that beleived it were wrong. Snake oil was always a hot seller.

People dont return cables as most people dont test them they just walk in plonk the money on the table and buy them with the system. Hifi is littered with examples of overpriced garbage that people queue up to buy.

The argument you have presented is the entire reason the overpriced cable fallacy exists - coupled with basic human nature and a quick study of cable markup. It says nothing about whether or not cables do make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
    anon_bb, Nov 6, 2005
  20. zanash

Saab

QED Silver Anniversary sounded tinny in my system,Chord Odyssey did not.Even my anti-HIFI wife made a comment,so did my son.Why does everyone insist on telling me it was perceived,and that my ears lied to me? These same people who use science to baffle me then turn there arguements into an almost philosophical tirade of abuse.They can't hear it so therefore I can't,so therefore use some stuff they read in a forum or learnt at University to try and batter me into submission.Both extremes of this arguement are as bad as each other.
    Most of us just happily live somewhere in the middle,happy in the knowledge we have a decent cable to let our systems sound as they should.

Saab, Nov 6, 2005
Ask a Question