Does electricity make a difference?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Nov 5, 2005.

1. ditton

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

We used a large bank of UPSs when I worked for Auntie beeb as back up for our Avid and ProTools suites..
    The reason was nowt to do with reshaping and cleaning the mains (all signals were balanced, and besides everything was virtual), but in order to allow time to safely shut down the system in the event of a power failure...

leonard smalls, Nov 8, 2005
  2. ditton

anon_bb Honey Badger

3. ditton

michaelab desafinado

michaelab, Nov 8, 2005
  4. ditton

Heuer

Just had my PC hard drive die (clicking away it was). Having replaced it and got everything working again I found the PCI fax modem was duff. Changed that and everything was fine. Began to muse on things and had a look at the Belkin Surgemaster distribution blocks and found both had lost their green 'protected' neons. It seems these things are sacrificial so as soon as a large spike comes along they personally take the hit. However when the next spike comes along 50ms later it is free to wreak havoc as the Belkins have used up their one life. Now I would have thought they would have closed down completely, but no they revert to standard distribution blocks. So I guess a voltage spike did for my equipment. The UPS offers no protection so I have now installed a Sollatek AVR (£200 from RS Components) which ensures 240v out plus full automatic surge/spike protection.

Interestingly it usually shows the input to be 5% over voltage.

None of my Hi-Fi was affected by the power surge as I have Pure Power transformers and Isotek Mini-Subs.

If you are curious to the state of your mains CPC do a plug in device (£20) which can display voltage, frequency, watts consumed and other fascinating facts that will encourage you to switch things off at night!

Heuer, Nov 8, 2005
  5. ditton

mosfet

In a very simplistic way yes. The point is L-C mains filters don't have anything like nice logarithmic attenuation curves that rise smoothly from a few MHz in the way the water filter analogy - dirty water one side, clean water the other - infers is the case. Hence the analogy is a poor one.

Work in what way? Yes they present impedance mismatch outside their passband and shunt MHz crap to earth – improve sound quality? Another question entirely.

For my money a few turns of a mains cable on a ferrite ring or sleeve is as good a solution as any to the perceived problem of conducted EMI and audio reproduction. Here's an analogy; shunting noise to earth with a mains filter is a little like sweeping the problem under the carpet.

mosfet, Nov 8, 2005
  6. ditton

Anex Thermionic

I thought ferite only prevented further noise pickup, I didn't think it actually removed anything that was there. For the few pence it costs for a couple of X2 class caps and a VDR I don't mind sticking filters on everything. If I'm feeling flush I sometimes even make it 4 caps, a diode and a VDR.

Anex, Nov 8, 2005
  7. ditton

mosfet

Far from it Anex. Ferrite materials convert noise at MHz into small amounts of heat; a particularly good solution. Maybe not audiophile approved because ferrite sleeves and rings are cheap.

[​IMG]

mosfet, Nov 8, 2005
  8. ditton

michaelab desafinado

don't forget also that ferrites on audiophile cables "kill the music" :rolleyes:

michaelab, Nov 8, 2005
  9. ditton

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

When placing them on RCA interconnects (as opposed to mains cables) there are good reasons for that, some anyone that passed EE101 should be able to understand.

Here we have again a prime example how closedmindedness leads to disregarding real issues and rubbishing them.

Ciao T

PS, anyone who wants to UNDERSTAND may benefit from the following references, don't immediatly discount them, please bother to actually READ AND UNDERSTAND them:

http://www.sstage.com/articles/pete01.htm

http://www.npl.co.uk/electromagnetic/dclf/harmonics/

http://www.edn.com/archives/1998/060498/12df_03.htm

3DSonics, Nov 8, 2005
  10. ditton

michaelab desafinado

nice writeup for which of course JPS didn't pay him a cent... ;) . Since those JPS cables are so amazingly better I look forward with anticipation to hear of Pete Goudreau collecting Randi's million dollars ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 8, 2005
  11. ditton

Hi,

As it so happens, they didnt pay him. They also did not like his comments on his DIY interconnects in the same context.

They also did not like my comments elsewhere suggesting that JPS Labs is actually Andrews Heliax Hardline Aerial cable (good choice electrically BTW, darn beach to use though as it is basically a copper pipe).

*paragraph deleted, which breaks forum AUP*

L8er T

3DSonics, Nov 8, 2005
  12. ditton

Active Hiatus

Thought it worthwhile to repost the original question.

Active Hiatus, Nov 8, 2005
  13. ditton

Hi,

The original question is formulated in a way that allows no answer that makes any sense.

The "electricity getting it's job done" is not the issue.

Hence to ask like that suggests a profound ignorance of basic principles.

To answer the question would require a year or two worth of EE study material compressed into an answer.

As posed the question has only the answer "there is no variability per se to the way "electricity get's it's job done", but there are many parasitic and otherwise undesirable effects that account for differences, outside the basic variability of voltage and freqency, which in themselves of course can have an audible impact as well.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 8, 2005
  14. ditton

Active Hiatus

So instead you enter into another slanging match about cables. :rolleyes:

Active Hiatus, Nov 8, 2005
  15. ditton

ditton happy old soul

'profound ignorance of basic principles' ???

you are obviously not one to mince words. Although you do seem prone to mangle words.

I was not worried about the way electricity gets its job done, but about the effect of variablity of electrical supply on how hifi components do their job. It seems that I am not alone in that worry.

As you may have picked up, I do not have educational qualifications in electrical engineering, but if someone does have such qualifications, I would hope that they could use that to contribute an answer, without making too much of a song and dance about it. The ability to explain sometimes indicates understanding; the reverse also tends to be true.

If this is too gentle a rebuke, I am sure it could be escalated.

ditton, Nov 8, 2005
  16. ditton

anon_bb Honey Badger

I think 3d has had a little bit too much ginger tea today ;) Clearly something about cables is "chewing his ass" - possibly that he hasnt managed to sell that many given the cost posted on his website! His opinions are possibly not that impartial as a cable seller...

anon_bb, Nov 8, 2005
  17. ditton

ditton happy old soul

OK, cool. funny stuff this electricity ...

ditton, Nov 8, 2005
  18. ditton

Hi,

NOw that is a bit of a low blow. I make cables (as pointed out) because few cables are made that actually work as they should.

You might note that I have actually shared for free with the Audio community a nuber of simple DIY Cables, including some that perform as well or better than my commercial stuff, but in a format that is arguably not "productable". I'd be blindingly happy if everyone just build my various DIY Designs and left me alone. Making cables is not among my favourite chores.

So please, DO NOT buy 3D sonics cables. They merely exist so I can recommend to customers of other items cabeling that offer the same level of quality.

As for independence, my history of publishing and writing on the cable subject stand on their own, refer to them for more.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 8, 2005
  19. ditton

Hi,

Sure. One may also hope that someone desiring to gain knowledge would apply himself to the information freely available that covers the subject, instead of asking others to spend their own time to remedy his ignorance. It sometimes takes a little iniative and work to understand things.

You might want to try starting with references I provided earlier.

I for one am bored of explaining what is already written elsewhere, by others and occasionally by myself.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 8, 2005
  20. ditton

The Devil IHTFP

Why do you advertise them, then? Take them off the market if it's so much hassle for poor little you to make them up.

The Devil, Nov 9, 2005
Ask a Question