Does electricity make a difference?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Nov 5, 2005.

1. ditton

zanash

Yes i've the big one now .......the Mega. Its 4 x better than the liitle one, not my words but the designer and yes I'd agree.

mosfet you forgot to add.........IMO which is all you can give though I still see you avoiding the question I asked !

zanash, Nov 7, 2005
  2. ditton

The Devil IHTFP

So that when a mobile phone rings, the consultant is certain that it is his.

The Devil, Nov 7, 2005
  3. ditton

tones compulsive cantater

Ella Fitzgerald explained it all some years ago:

I press the little switch here
    Electrons go 'round and around
    Whoa-ho-ho-ho-ho-an'
    Music comes out here
    I press that valve amp switch
    Electrons go down and around
    Whoa-ho-ho-ho-ho-an'
    Music comes out here
    I lower that tone arm down
    The record goes round and sound bellows
    Bellows, bellows, deedle-dee-ho-ho-ho
    Listen to the PRaT come out
    I push the loud knob down
    Electrons go 'round and around
    Whoa-ho-ho-ho-an'-mo'
    Music comes out here

tones, Nov 7, 2005
  4. ditton

Paul Ranson

And so that Patient Line or whoever can keep their telephone market.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Nov 7, 2005
  5. ditton

mosfet

I'm sure the offer to listen to one of your interconnects is sincere zanash however I'll politely decline. I really don't think it's worth the effort of leaning over the back of my hi-fi to swap the cables – although this is not meant to read as dismissive of the effort you have put into your interconnect.

I've tried a number of different interconnects over the years of various design and topology and on occasion thought I could hear very subtle differences with a few; I can't be sure however.

The only occasion when I have heard a clear change is when I constructed an interconnect with a series cap to form a high pass filter with the input impedance of my amplifier; a passive line level crossover by another description.

mosfet, Nov 7, 2005
  6. ditton

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

So it does. I work also at a Hospital.

However the mains cable on my monitor is shielded and has a ferrite on it and our server room had just had £ 15K worth of APC ON LINE UPS (think of it as an industrial and acoustically very noisy version of the PS Audio Power plant or the Audiophile AMS we distribute) installed to power the whole floors computers (not just the server) as the crappy local mains caused standard UPS's to have flat batteries within a few month (they where constantly boosting/bucking) and as many PC's where dying premature heat death plus many dead powersupplies (a lot of really important gear - that is medically important has had such protection for ages BTW)...

But I'm sure this is all just bunk anyway and past that no doubt non of this extreme mains variability (215 - 260V over 24Hour period, THD up to 15% and wide ranging frequency variation) would ever be audible in commercial grade audio gear of elevated quality and most certainly not when applying a double deaf test and as we all well know, the Noble Flying Pig is heraldic animal of our IT Department, to illustrate the great performance and reliability of their network and servers.

Guys, your degree of reality denial and concious deliberate reality alteration surprises even a hardened cynic like me.

Ciao T

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2005
    3DSonics, Nov 7, 2005
  7. ditton

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

sorry T,

I was too busy putting little round stickers in the corners of my room ;)

bottleneck, Nov 7, 2005
  8. ditton

ListeningEar

Here's my tuppence worth!

I'v played around with cables and mains devices to know that good quality supply does affect the sonic qualities of the systems I have owned, and, that the cost associated with this is well worth the outlay.

I have also been to a Quad nutters house in London where he had hard wired a dedicated ring externally through the house treating the twin 7 earth with additional insulation direct to his audio equipment (it was a P cert nightmare!), and had the A and B comparison to hear major differences.

Plus, I'v also heard battery powered equipment (hence no mains supply), in the USA to appreciate how good this can sound, therefore removing any mains born interferance.

Personally, I don;t really care what anyone else has to say on the matter if all they are going to do is be negative on the subject as I feel for me there is proof enough it makes a difference to get it right.

What I don't agree with though is companies like RA charging an arm or a leg for decent mains gear and making out like it's some kind of 'balck art' that only they are capable of providing the answers to ;)

ListeningEar, Nov 7, 2005
  9. ditton

The Devil IHTFP

I guess you make the tea?

The Devil, Nov 8, 2005
  10. ditton

Saab

How can the UPS in hospitals be running flat when we (the company I work for) have not had one flat UPS ever,with over 300 sites? I can't quite figure that one out unless that particular hospital just has a really bad supply.

Saab, Nov 8, 2005
  11. ditton

Hi,

Yes, we have a PARTICULARY bad supply. We have been going through APC BackUps batteries at a rate of six month per set. As said, within a normal working period I measured between 215V and 260V.

I only noticed because a spare UPS I stuck the PC's in my office on (too many blackouts during "Generator tests" the whole hospital is Victorian) I constantly heard it clicking on/off and checking the frontpanel revealed it was either boosting or bucking the mains, usually for extended periods.

Aparently the nearby industrial estate is responsible and the power companies only need to deliver a 240V average across a 48 Hours period, or so our Facilities people told me. As some of the stuff up here is considered "business critical" we had a massive online power regeneration system put in, with added battery packs to keep the floor running for a while on battery power untill the generators kick in (if indeed they do). Completely dispicable conditions!

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 8, 2005
  12. ditton

The Devil IHTFP

I should think all those kettles use a fair amount of juice.

The Devil, Nov 8, 2005
  13. ditton

zanash

This you will find funny........

I worked in a complex that included a Police station, Fire station and court complex. We had new generators fitted at great expence to run the whole complex. It was down the fire side to test these on a weekly basis....which we did for an hour or so checking output and what have you. they'd trip in fire up first time and run sweetly. One winter night we had six inches of snow in the city centre ...bringing all the powercables down. So there we were pop off goes the power, crump rumble the genies trip in running sweetly, there little room lights up like a chrismas tree......but every where else black. The Engineers who fitted them ...never actually hooked them up to the complexes power grid ! we had to use the portable generators form the Fire appliances to provide lighting for the next couple of days ...........along with all the red faces of middle managment who'd been saying the emergency systems were A ok.

zanash, Nov 8, 2005
  14. ditton

Hi,

I actually suspect it is more due to the ECT that they give people like you here in order to cure them.

L8er

3DSonics, Nov 8, 2005
  15. ditton

The Devil IHTFP

Aha, you work in a psychiatric hospital ... why didn't I guess?

Don't let on about the felt dots.

The Devil, Nov 8, 2005
  16. ditton

Dynamic Turtle The Bydo Destroyer

Lol, that's my Quote of the Day! :D

Dynamic Turtle, Nov 8, 2005
  17. ditton

Anex Thermionic

They use water for electricity analogies in secondary school, for A-Levels and at degree level. Its not a daft or irrelevant analogy.

Anex, Nov 8, 2005
  18. ditton

mosfet

In broader terms using electricity / water analogy to give illustrative explanation of pressure and flow (voltage and current) is fine. To attempt to simply the complexities of RF engineering with analogous comparison to a filter designed to remove suspended particulates from water is daft.

mosfet, Nov 8, 2005
  19. ditton

Anex Thermionic

It seems pretty relavent to me, the point isn't how it works its where you put the filter. Your not doubting that mains filters work full stop are you?

Anex, Nov 8, 2005
  20. ditton

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

They also used it on my Uni interview at Comp Sci/Cybernetics Reading. About the only part of that sodding course that did make sense, as it didn't involve maths :)

Speaking of generators/UPS; our state of the art building's generators kicked in last week (not sure why - don't think it was a power cut), and the UPS distribution board for one of the main IT halls decided to blow up and catch fire, resulting in total loss of power for 4 hours.

Unprovidable Power Service seems appropriate here!

domfjbrown, Nov 8, 2005
Ask a Question