Does electricity make a difference?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ditton, Nov 5, 2005.

1. ditton

zanash

3d..................... I'd second that comment about cable making a chore !

I've used both ring and clamp ferites on power cables.......purely on listening, for my system, they squashed the dynamics ......but on other systems its been different. I now don't use or fit them to any cable I make [unless asked for]

zanash, Nov 9, 2005
  2. ditton

anon_bb Honey Badger

I am sure your probity is beyong reproach 3d, however when engaged in a debate of this kind you should declare your business interest in this matter.

anon_bb, Nov 9, 2005
  3. ditton

lordsummit moderate mod

It is Zerogain policy that individuals involved in 'the industry' declare their interest as part of their signature. There are plenty of examples of this about.
    Thanks

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2005
  4. ditton

ditton happy old soul

3D, I'll take that as a positive, rather than a negative response to my search for understanding - and put away the 'profound ignorance' remark (profundity might have virtue in itself, I suppose).

I've re-read the references you posted yesterday evening, and will do so again.

So, I understand that hifi is obviously very heavily dependent upon the peculiarities of electricity, both for power and for transmission of signal . As an owner of a multi-component hifi system, with several options open to me, I'd like to understand more about these peculiarities - and the effect that these have on sound quality (faithful reproduction).

I have 4 components, the first three of which need power from the mains:
    transport + dac/digi-pre + switch poweramp + speakers.

Having paid a little attention to timing and jitter (at the front end: transport & dac), further options include:
    1. mains power & mains cabling (and various configurations therein)
    2. moving to balanced for interconnect between dac/pre and poweramp
    3. curing the 'hiss' that comes from my speakers when system is on but no Cd is playing

On the first, I've been impressed by battery powered systems - and hence thoughts about 'never' connected.

On the second, is the following held to be true? "The fundamental interface problem stems from the fact that once noise contaminates a signal, it's nearly impossible to remove the noise."

On the third, the 'hiss' is product of much upstream, but what?

[I declare that my only involvement on 'the industry' is as a consumer - largely of s/h goods]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2005
    ditton, Nov 9, 2005
  5. ditton

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

I have shown it in my public profile part and quite clearly I would think, plus Nickname = Brand.

Good enough?

Or do I need 20 Page disclaimers for political correctness sake to each post?

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 9, 2005
  6. ditton

SteveC PrimaLuna is not cheese

Even though I agree with your postings, 3d, so am not "anti", I was not aware that username=brand in your case, so there is at least one case where the apparent signature policy is vindicated, FYI.

SteveC, Nov 9, 2005
  7. ditton

Hi,

BTW, I am unaware of any policy. The AUP's do not state any requirements for "insiders" to have a signature identifying themselfs and as noted, I made no attempts to hide my status when I signed up.

If there is a requirement for industry members to have an identifying sig perhaps this should be written into the AUP's or otherwise made CLEAR?

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 9, 2005
  8. ditton

anon_bb Honey Badger

I do think that you should point out in any discussion if you have a specific product or vested interest which is relevent to the issues at hand, even if your profile links to your company page. I am not having a go I just think its a good idea - given noone checks the profile of every single person that posts to a thread. By no means am I implying any improprietry on your behalf - I am certain you are completely above board, I just think its a good idea in general.

anon_bb, Nov 9, 2005
  9. ditton

Joe

20 pages is nowhere near enough. At least 50 pages is needed. We also need full copies of your tax returns, audited accounts, bank statements for the past ten years, photograph of your house, car, workshop, etc etc etc.

Joe, Nov 9, 2005
  10. ditton

The Devil IHTFP

In a cable thread, "Cable salesman" should do.

The Devil, Nov 9, 2005
  11. ditton

lordsummit moderate mod

Just put your homepage in your signature that will do. Just like Isaac and WM and Les W and all the others. It's not hard is it?

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2005
  12. ditton

Hi,

I have done so.

Traditionally I have allways felt that having your business details in your signature equals promoting/advertising it (just as placing business stickers on your car) and hence I have never done so either here or over at AA. I do not feel that public discussion groups should be used to promote ones business in what amounts effectively for free.

So note that you FORCE me to advertise my business in each and every of my posts, it is not my choice.

Past that, some remarks.

If "insiders" MUST identify themselves clearly, please write that into the AUP's.

Also, if that is the case I think that ANY industry connection (that is works for a HiFi Shop or Distributor, Reviewer etc.) should be made clear.

A "tag" system like that employed by AA (Manufacturer/Dealer/Reviewer/Audiophile) rather than the formal inclusion of advertising into each post.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 9, 2005
  13. ditton

Hi,

Or not? I put a signature in. It does not come up?

Ahh, I see, it works now.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 9, 2005
  14. ditton

anon_bb Honey Badger

I dont think you need to advertise your business in every post but its certainly considerate to advise people in a cable thread where you express pro-cable views that you are a cable seller. No big deal.

anon_bb, Nov 9, 2005
  15. ditton

Hi,

Then I have one in all.

As what I provide are really inended as complete system, Speakers, Cables, Amplifiers, Sources and with the inclusion of Music First Audio Products among which I also have a hand als Preamplification.

I have always viewed audio systems as a system, where thetotal of the parts should be MUCH greater than just the sum.

For that I find that it is usually best to control the system end to end, like also done by both Audio Note Companies (UK/JP), 47 Labs, Combak/Reimyo, Shindo, Naim, Linn and many other companies.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 9, 2005
  16. ditton

lordsummit moderate mod

Thanks

lordsummit, Nov 9, 2005
  17. ditton

penance Arrogant Cock

Those cables look exactly the same as the 80 core SCSI cables we use on our test bench. They are silver plated teflon coated aswell.

penance, Nov 9, 2005
  18. ditton

Hi,

Note. I am not a "cable seller". That label would fit Nordost or other comapnies that make nothing but cables.

3D Sonics provides cables as part of a (or rather our) system(s), not as intentional seperate product.

Past that, in any comment on speakers, CD Players, Amplifiers, Preamplifiers I would have to mention that I am a "whachamacallit" seller.

They are fundamentally no different from cables or any other HiFi parapharnelia. :MILD:

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 9, 2005
  19. ditton

Hi,

They quite possibly are.

As you are familar with them you know both cost and the fun of actually separating them into individual wires (IDC cannot be used). :D

Ciao T

3DSonics, Nov 9, 2005
  20. ditton

penance Arrogant Cock

Wouldnt know cost ( i dont work in procurement, thankfully), as to the PITA of termination i agree. IMO anyone who wants to sit for hours terminating that cable needs 1. to be paid for it and 2. to be locked up for their own safety ;)

penance, Nov 9, 2005
Ask a Question