Isolation

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Heavymental, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Heavymental

Alex S User

Well, I can cross a few off that list. Mana - non-Mana ping-pong aside, Paul has a good point reasonably (as in with reason, rather than just adequately) expressed as always. Some hear no difference, others hear one and either like what they hear or don't, its almost as simple as that.

What's not so simple is when the very same product, whatever it may be, can sound good in someone else's system but not in your own. Cable, support, equipment, mains evangelism is all very well but whatever works for one may not for another. Too many variables, let alone taste, ears, brain, drugs. I'm convinced that the room (not just my awkward room, any room) has far greater effect than just about anything else. Most of what cables, mains and supports do is attempt to negate room effects (or compensate for equipment idiosyncrasies like the LP12's mid-bass hump or Briks' inherent slowness and midrange colouration); might be better to start by treating the room (and buying less idiosyncratic equipment).

Alex S, Apr 28, 2004
  2. Heavymental

zanash

Oh I'm feeling faint and can hardly type this but the Devil is spot on with his last few posts

Taking a rest and deep breath.........

I know we have disagreed from time to time, [in fact I think we did earlier on!] but as the resident Mana expert he knowsa thing or two about stands.

Just to add that the Troika is a good cart though not everyone cup of tea.

For those mere mortals that can't afford the latest in chrome and glass for the cherished gear. The DIY scene can hold a number of alternatives that will provide a level of performance that may suprise some people.

Whilst reading this thread it occured to me that the Ikea Lack table, used as an equipment support could benifit from the super balls. Using a 25mm wood drill [the chisel shaped things with the piont that I can't remember the name of] drill out a hole to a depth of about 20mm in the bottom of each leg, and insert the super ball to the remainder rests on the table below. Of course you do this after deciding how long a leg length you need, and cutting of the excess.

zanash, Apr 28, 2004
  3. Heavymental

The Devil IHTFP

Hi zanash, you are too kind, although I can't quite tell whether you are being sarcastic or not!

ATB.

J

The Devil, Apr 28, 2004
  4. Heavymental

7_V I want a Linn - in a DB9

Have you tried this yet? I'd be interested in how it turns out.

7_V, Apr 28, 2004
  5. Heavymental

Paul Duerden

Well Zanash, all the resident Mana Expert really knows is that LP12, Naim electronics and Epos speakers work better on Mana than the Ash Designs stand or whatever he had last. Equally if you have any form of Isobarik system fronted by an LP12 then Mana is a complete no brainer and the more you have the better it goes.

Alex has a Well Tempered Turntable with Densen CD , and Dynavector electronics which to my ears work very well on Hutter. Maybe they would sound better on Mana, I haven't heard that one so I really can't say. I suspect though that Hutter suits that system and that for him Alex has made the correct choice. Remember what I said above about bewaring of zealots. Hi Fi has a fifty year history of people who knew all the answers, raved like mad about them and of course most are now forgotten. Anyone remember Peter Belt?,

Paul Duerden, Apr 28, 2004
  6. Heavymental

The Devil IHTFP

Paul, you are being far too reasonable.

My list above is kit I've owned and tried on & off Mana. However... if you read the reviews which are on the Main Mana website (not the forum) from well-respected reviewers using a variety of other gear, you will see that it works with other stuff, too.

If you think about how Mana works, which is no great mystery, it is almost certainly correct to say that it will work with any piece of hi-fi; TVs, videos & DVDs as well.

It only doesn't work if you botch the set-up, which is easy to do with multiple levels. Patience is rewarded.

Peter Belt is in another league.

The Devil, Apr 28, 2004
  7. Heavymental

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Michael,

I'm surprised by your responce, a good clean living sort of a guy, stay pressed creases and that ;)
    I do think if you can't handle a bit of jibing, it's shows lack of fortitude sir :( I thought you made of Iron Brew
    After 2 or so months of the Dat squardron enlightening us, as to our 'pre concieved ideas on cables et al' and how we are all dellusional, I thought it would only be fair to apply the same algorythym to this thread, sotr'a of a ying & yang balance if you like.

Chris,

In reply to your question, you have heard them, Gary's power amp had them underneath them at the Heathrow show, ontop of the air platforms.
    Do I use them :cool: just one of 2 sets, do they work, waste of time posting that here, either PM the last couple of visitors or pop round for an earwig, then you can 'Measure with your ears, what is measurable' see if feel they work or not :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2004
    wadia-miester, Apr 28, 2004
  8. Heavymental

Paul Duerden

I am trying to be fair here Bub and have to point out that those reviews on the main website are now over a decade old in the main. At that time it was Mana that got everyone interested in stands and control of vibration. It may be that in that time other designers have had their own ideas on vibration and done as well in a different way. I have no idea I have heard too few.

I mean do all components resonate in exactly the same way needing exactly the same remedies, or is say a Well Tempered Turntable a different case to an LP12 with a different resonant pattern and thus requiring different isolation solutions? Obviously I have no idea.

Having said all that I have just bought another Mana Top for my rack. But then my system responds well to Mana, it's the Devil I know and I own an LP12 and a CD player that tries hard to be an LP12..

Paul Duerden, Apr 28, 2004
  9. Heavymental

michaelab desafinado

Why? That's what we're all here for isn't it? :confused:

AFAIK there haven't been any "you must be a delusional audiophool" type posts for quite some time, which is why I'm a bit miffed about the non-stop piss taking over the last month or so :(

Michael.

michaelab, Apr 28, 2004
  10. Heavymental

Alex S User

Oh no, not the botched setup part of the roundabout again. James, just ask other James, the centre lift guru and setup king whether Mana worked under my speakers when he came round the other week!

Alex S, Apr 29, 2004
  11. Heavymental

The Devil IHTFP

Since it was your speakers, Alex, I would guess (wildly) that it cut off the second half of your notes? Clever stuff!

The Devil, Apr 29, 2004
  12. Heavymental

Paul Duerden

I think this thread proves that it is not impossible to have a sensible discussion on isolation and supports. It's just very very difficult.

Switches to Horse mode,

BUB I ASKED YOU A QUESTION, stamp, toss of head, I am too important to be ignored by nonentities like you, answer me you parsimonious pill pusher.

Paul Duerden, Apr 29, 2004
  13. Heavymental

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Paul,

A reasoned arguement has no place in a stand discussion ... Duerden, get thee to the back of the class and I will expect 100 lines of "A reasoned arguement has no place in a stand discussion"

Cheers

Jason

PS You made some excellent points and I think you would love Alex's system with the big Neats. It is very, very good.

ReJoyce, Apr 29, 2004
  14. Heavymental

Markus S Trade

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us.

Markus S, Apr 29, 2004
  15. Heavymental

lowrider Live music is surround

NO... :yikes:

lowrider, Apr 29, 2004
  16. Heavymental

Paul Duerden

Sorry Jason,

I just felt like making our querulous quack use his brain for a change.

if Alex's system is sounding that good please do guard duty and stop him from changing anything until I can get down and hear it.

17. Heavymental

Markus S Trade

Antonio, it was a joke. Fox just felt the need to say on PF that I'm being benignly ignored on the Mana forum. Nothing to do with this forum.

Markus S, Apr 29, 2004
  18. Heavymental

Paul Duerden

I don't recall ignoring you on the Mana Forum Markus, benignly or otherwise. That Fox can be a real bitch at times.

19. Heavymental

Markus S Trade

Paul,

thanks for the kind words. Don't worry, I'm taking this in the spirit in which I think the remark was made. One of these days, I'll have to pay Fox back for a reference to somone who just made a surprise comeback over on Mana.

Maybe I should call him vixen.

Markus S, Apr 29, 2004
  20. Heavymental

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Both of these are Herculean tasks are beyond a mere mortal such as I.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Apr 29, 2004
Ask a Question