Last 5 records you bought??

Discussion in 'General Music' started by mutant, Dec 21, 2003.

1. mutant

joel Shaman of Signals

Last 5 albums:
    Black Album - Jay Z (double vinyl)
    Latest Alicia Keys album (double vinyl) - this one really has had the life compressed out of it. A shame.
    Nivkh Ujl'Ta - Volume 6 in the Music of Siberia series (Sakhalin), the *original* shamanic trance music.
    Faryad - Masters of Persian Music, stately and beautiful.
    Music of Yemen (buda musique ), a strong atmospheric intro to some of my favourite Arab music.

joel, Jan 8, 2004
  2. mutant

Uncle Ants In Recordeo Speramus

Dom, Holly Golightly is early thirties at a guess, but really don't know. Did a web search to see if I could find out (but couldn't). However it claims on her website http://www.hollygolightly.com/ that its her real name, believe it or not (and frankly I don't)

In fact this law has recently been amended to say Johnny Cash at Folsom, Live at San Quentin, The Fabulous Johnny Cash, Ride This Train, Bitter Tears, Blood Sweat and Tears, Orange Blossom Special, Man in Black and American I THEN American III and IV (and possibly II, which inexplicably I don't have - Santa you b*stard, can you read or wot?) :) (Sorry folks letting my Johnny Cash obsession get away with me again) BTW. If Amazon ever get their digits out of their nether regions, the FSOL and Kings of Leon albums are both stayers.

On another vane - had a listen to the BBC Radiophonic stuff over Christmas and played it to my good lady the lovely Paula too (have you had a listen yet Goomer and Tony?). Blimey ... Weird, scary, haunting soundscapes, hilarious incidental music/jingles and other strange proto electronica. Well worth a spin.

Paula (big fan of a lot of Warpy stuff - Plaid, Plone, Boards of Canada etc.) was amazed - Its the missing link says she. She's kept this particular obsession a bit of a secret in the past, but now I'm gonna raid her collection for lots of weird shit :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2004
    Uncle Ants, Jan 8, 2004
  3. mutant

Goomer

Howdy - happy new year!

Yep, have listened to the first 2 discs and really like them - as you say, some weirder stuff which some may not refer to as music but I really like what I've heard so far. But then, I have about 15 BBC sound effects lp's which I really like(ala Dougal from Father Ted), and a BBC cartridge set up lp which I sometimes play for fun, so can't really trust my recommendations(- 'Hello', anybody ;) ).

On the thread topic, last five albums I've bought are:

Nick Drake - Bryter Layter
    Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left
    Nick Drake - Pink Moon
    Jeff Buckley - Mystery White Boy
    The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

...all from www.simplyvinyl.com. On the subject of simplyvinyl, does anyone think that the courier 'service' they use' delivery methods are tantamount to holding your package to ransom? Almost impossible to speak to on the phone, unmoving on delivery options and only seem interested in charging an additional fee to redeliver.

Nice records, though.

Goomer, Jan 8, 2004
  4. mutant

Chris,

(merry chrimbo, happy new year, yadayada, I've been rocking all over the world ;) - the long cables you sent are great, are the short ones up to scratch??)

Try out side E, on disc 3, War of the Worlds by David Cain - It'll scare the willies out of you and keep you up at night.

Also have another listen to Delia Derbyshire's Time to Go at the end of Side A. The tune they should have ended all college discos with (instead of the Theme from Mash or whatever godawful thing they did end them with).

On the subject of the Simply Vinyl pressings. How are they quality wise? - I'm quite interested in their current deals but there were some mutterings over at the asylum recently about the sound quality of their pressings. Don't whether there was any substance to it. (You know how gripey some of the inmates can get over there). Actually very interested in the Nick Drake stuff - you rate it? I've got a compilation CD of his stuff, but was thinking of expanding.

Uncle Ants, Jan 8, 2004
  5. mutant

Goomer

Absolutely lovely, thank you very much, and I'm glad the ones I sent are okay too.

Is this the same version as on the original soundtrack album? - if it is, I think I know what you mean. I'll give it a spin when I get back from work tonite and check.

As far as I'm concerned, excellent - as you say, the folks over on VA can take this kind of thing a little more seriously than I (and you?) do but I was really impressed with the sound of ones I've played so far(Jeff B and The Beach Boys) - nice and quiet and(unlike my recent UNKLE purchase :mad: ) flat, and what they say about the packaging is true as they do put some effort into it. As you can probably guess if you've looked at the site recently, got them in the 6 for £50.00 deal(-I forgot to mention The Bryds' 3 lp set I got, too).

I'll let you know about the Nick Drake stuff when I've had a chance to play - I have high hopes though, based on what I've heard before.

:D

Goomer, Jan 8, 2004
  6. mutant

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Simply Vinyl are pretty good. Can't really go wrong, that said, there's a company in America called Sundazed ( www.sundazed.com ) who do a similar kind of thing and have a much better (imo) range of stuff, the nice pound/dollar rate at the moment is tempting me to shop.

Anyway, updated last five records:

Distillers - Distillers
    Distillers - Sing Sing Death House
    Distillers - Coral Fang (cheers Dom for forgetting to get this back of me, it's your fault I've bought the other two as well).
    Marvin Gaye - What's Goin' On - Deluxe Edition. £14.99 in the HMV sale was a no brainer.
    The other one is the Daddy Mango CD bought in the pub the other night.

ilockyer, Jan 8, 2004
  7. mutant

Er, if you mean the Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds, no. This is scarier by a factor of ten.

Uncle Ants, Jan 9, 2004
  8. mutant

Goomer

Jeff Wayne.....David Cain....an easy mistake to make, honest :rolleyes: . Gave it a listen just before going to bed last night, actually - it was pretty spooky but didn't cause any nightmares, thankfully.

Goomer, Jan 9, 2004
  9. mutant

sideshowbob Trisha

Bought Galaxie 500's On Fire today, so I now seem to have acquired most of their records without really meaning to...

Some decent secondhand vinyl today:

- Band of Susans, Hope Against Hope

- Band of Susans, Love Agenda

- Sun Ra, Sun Ra vs. Dan and Dale. The great man plays with guitarists Dan and Dale (of Batman theme tune fame). Great idea.

- John Tchcai, Real Tchicai

- Jackson C. Frank, Jackson C.Frank

- Tim Berne, Sanctified Dreams

- Joe Harriot, Swings High

And, on CD:

- John Zorn, IAO

- Cecil Taylor/Louis Moholo, Remembrance (awesome)

- Cecil Taylor, The Willisau Concert

- Dexy's Midnight Runners, Don't Stand Me Down (I heard a song from this on a late-night rerun of TOTP2 over xmas and thought it was stunning, but I was very drunk at the time so who knows, it's probably pants)

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 10, 2004
  10. mutant

mutant

Well, updating on my post, some ive bought in last fortnight are:

Metallica - Live shit, binge & purge (3cd, 2dvd boxset)
    Six Feet Under - Bringer of blood
    Lemmy, slim jim and danny b
    Arch Enemy - Wages of sin
    Paul Gilbert - King of clubs
    Ima Robot - S/T
    V/A - Merry Axemas vol.1
    V/A - Bat head soup, tribute to ozzy

Thats all that i can remember, apart from Cannibal corpse tickets :)D :D) but that doesnt really count.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2004
    mutant, Jan 10, 2004
  11. mutant

HenryT

AC/DC - Back In Black

ELO - Light Years, The Very Best Of

Arvo Part - Triodion (Polyphony/Layton)

Various - The Harmonious Harp (Deutche Grammaphon Musikfest Series)

Various - New World Jazz (New World Symphony/Tilson Thomas) #

Incantation - Panpipes From The Andes *

*[Cheers Dom for the heads up on this one - found a copy on Amazon for £4.44 delivered :eek: :) ]

# [Yes has been deleted but managed to track down a copy for £7 delivered from Amazmon.com's "Market Place" :D ]

HenryT, Jan 14, 2004
  12. mutant

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

Picked these up in Fopp for £3 each.

Curtis Mayfield - Never say you can't survive

Billie Holliday - Holiday for Lovers.

Guru - Baldhead Slick & Da Click

Kid Rock - Devil without a cause

Kid Rock - Cocky

Electronica Volume 1

The Best of B-Boy Records.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Jan 14, 2004
  13. mutant

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Got a few gems...

finally got Kings of Leon (Amazon are crap for delays at the moment... whats going on!?!?? 5 WEEKS for this!!). Great album though.

Just ordered from Simply Vinyl for the first time. Stone Roses second coming (used to have it, but gave it to a friend) double vinyl for a fiver!

If they deliver quickly and well, they will see my cash again...

NB They have a few other gems on vinyl for a fiver. Pearl Jam 'ten' for example. One of the best grunge albums ever IMHO.. I have it already, but nearly bought it again...!!

NB Been thinking of getting a Bob Dylan album. I like a small number of his songs. Havent got any albums yet though. What do people think his best album was? - I really do hate compilation albums, Id rather get the actual releases...

Chris

bottleneck, Jan 14, 2004
  14. mutant

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisted and Blonde On Blonde are the best, these showcase his transition from acoustic folky stuff to plugging in and going electric. Live 1966 is a good option too, the famous show from May '66 featuring the Judas shout from the crowd and a stunning electric set. After the 60's, the only albums I'd say are worth really bothering with are Blood On The Tracks and Time Out Of Mind.

Sundazed Records in the US are doing mono vinyl re-issues of the 60's stuff which are apparently superb. www.sundazed.com

ilockyer, Jan 14, 2004
  15. mutant

sideshowbob Trisha

Blood on the Tracks (everyone who doesn't really like Dylan says it's the best, and it is), and Highway 61 Revisited (for "Like A Rolling Stone" if nothing else).

I've always preferred Dylan's songs when they're done by other people, so those are the only 2 Dylan albums I've ever owned, even though he's written some great songs.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 14, 2004
  16. mutant

SideShowBob,

For years and years I never got Dylan - I tried - I thought I oughta, but it wasn't happening. Then I got Blood on the Tracks and he clicked.

Freewheelin Bob Dylan
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Highway 61 revisited
    Blonde on Blonde
    Nashville Skyline (maybe)
    Blood on the Tracks

Are all must haves IMO. Fantastic five star albums all. Don't ever get onto the subject with a REAL Dylan fan though cos they'll bore you on the subject til yer knob drops off.

Went to see him at one of his recent gigs at Hammersmith. Not sure what I thought about it. His gigs seem to be like a sort of name that tune game for Dylanheads. He plays all his songs so differently from the recorded versions that you can only tell what it is from the lyrics - which because he's Bob, you can't easily hear. Don't get me wrong Bob and his band played great, but it was a bit bemusing.

His dancing was hilarious though. He played a little electric piano all night, set too low, so he was hunched over it and came out from behind it to start the band off at the start of every song. He'd do a little dance for a bit and then go and sing/play piano again. I read a review of it and they said his dancing was like a cross between a Grandpa Simpson and a Weeble :rolleyes: - a description I couldn't better.

Uncle Ants, Jan 15, 2004
  17. mutant

penance Arrogant Cock

Cant remember what its called, i think its Dylans first album.
    anyway its the one with riseing sun and ee that my grave is kept clean.
    best Dylan album for me :)

penance, Jan 15, 2004
  18. mutant

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Blues Here And There

Stanley Clarke - East River Drive

Queen - Platinum Greatest Hits I, II & III

Ozric Tentacles - Erpland

Linkin Park - Meteora

technobear, Jan 16, 2004
  19. mutant

juboy