Last 5 records you bought??

Discussion in 'General Music' started by mutant, Dec 21, 2003.

1. mutant

greg Its a G thing

What a classic. That was the first LP I completely wore out.

greg, Mar 11, 2004
  2. mutant

SCIDB Moderator

Hi,

I agree about the Beastie Boys 'Licenced to Ill'. One of my favourite albums of that period. My copy got some serious hammer as well. It was a good period for hip hop with the rise of the new school crossing over & hitting bigtime. It was also the time of Run DMC with Raising Hell. (Big single was 'Walk this way')

I remember seeing the Run DMC & the Beastie Boys at the Manchester Apollo in 1987. Great gig. I should have my 'Fight for the right to party ' tour tee shirt some where.

Dom,

Also check out 'Paul's Boutique' by the Besatie Boys. This was the follow up album which didn't do very well saleswise. It is different to the 1st album.

SCIDB

SCIDB, Mar 11, 2004
  3. mutant

Mekon Rent this space

The last bundles included

The Bad Plus - These Are The Vistas
    El-P - High Water
    Vast Aire - Look Mom...No Hands
    Jaga Jazzist - The Stix
    cLOUDDEAD - Ten

Mekon, Mar 11, 2004
  4. mutant

joel Shaman of Signals

Cds include:
    Sly and Robbie - Version Born
    Sibelius Symphonies Nos 3 & 7 - LSO / Davis
    Upopo Sanke - Umeko Ando (Ainu/Arab fusion!!!!!!!!!!)
    Nyabole - Lyre Music of the Hamar cattle herders of Southern Ethiopia
    David Sylvian - Blemish - surprisingly, I quite enjoyed this one.

Vinyl includes:
    Music of Bauls on nonesuch - superb, well worth seeking out
    Juliette Greco Live at Sogetsu Hall
    Yet another series of Japanese traditional drumming
    Korean court music of some kind
    More Oum Kalsoum

joel, Mar 11, 2004
  5. mutant

chris.gally

The last 5 ummm.

Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions

Belle and Sebastian - Dear Catastrophe Waitress

Outkast - Speakerboxx:Love Below

The Penguin Cafe Orchestra - A Brief History (SACD)

Dimitri From Paris - In the House

If you like The Beastie Boys, check out the DVD... Umpteen songs, remixes, videos and plenty more..... essential

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...7514/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_10_2/202-4402990-4555837

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2004
    chris.gally, Mar 11, 2004
  6. mutant

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Yeah - was umming and arring about getting that DVD but skint for a bit now (plus next month's worse - 2 Glastonbury tickets on DEBIT card - eeek!!!!).

I've never worn out a CD/tape/record, though my copy of NOW5 on prerecorded tape is a bit iffy now, thanks to a mate in the late 80s running it through a deck that BADLY needed demagnetising.....

I might look out for Paul's Boutique - got Hello Nasty :) I didn't rate their Reading 98 slot though as they disowned their old skool stuff...

domfjbrown, Mar 11, 2004
  7. mutant

chris.gally

I got mine cheap in the HMV sale. £10.99 if i remember correctly.

Chris

chris.gally, Mar 11, 2004
  8. mutant

Bill Phabb

Leftfield - Rythym and Stealth
    Joshua Ryan - By Design
    Southport Weekender
    16B - How To Live 100 Years
    UNKLE - Do Androids Dream of Electrobeats

Bill Phabb, Mar 17, 2004
  9. mutant

Lodger

For what it is worth here are my last five:

Leftfield - Rhythm & Stealth (better late than never I suppose)
    Herbie Hancock - Future Shock
    Sophie B Hawkins - Whaler
    Frank Gambale - Coming to your Senses
    Voodoo Child - Baby Monkey

...mixed bunch - understatement... gosh this is addictive - 5 previous to that:

Moloko - Things To Make And Do
    TheThe - Infected
    Joe Jackson - Symphony No.1
    Peter Gabriel - Up
    Johhny Cash - American IV:The Man Comes Around

:guitar:

Lodger, Mar 31, 2004
  10. mutant

Lodger

...whilst I am thinking about the subject of poor cd transfers - a while back I got sentimental and bought a couple of albums on cd from the tail-end of punk era - namely Skids - (Best of) and Ian Dury & The Blockheads - (Do It Yourself) - despite my eager anticipation of disturbing the neighbours with the old Skids anthem "Into The Valley" with a decent head of steam I was deeply disappointed by the complete lack of balls this cd-version had - the whole album in fact is sterile sounds like shite - whoever was responsible for digitising the originals needs another career path. Has anyone here by any slim chance heard it? Do It Yourself was better but still mid-range heavy and lacked excitement - only the bonus tracks (Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick and Reasons To Be Cheerful) got the speakers working at a level beyond comatose and the ears interested - these particular tracks were recorded at a later period so maybe its a studio thing. I am finding that a lot of late 70's/early 80's music in unadulterated (non remastered) form are quite frankly a non-hifi experience - has anyone here compiled a list of contenders for WORST CD TRANSFER EVER? It would be useful, not that it would stop me buying music I still hold a candle to but it would help us to maybe narrow down a record label or studio who seem to be paying least attention to the final edit. One other worth mentioning that probably caught everyone out a few years ago was the Biily Joel Greatest Hits double cd (1973-1985) by Columbia/Sony - despite the lure of this double album and the promise of musical heaven it falls a long way short and sounds shite - I heard a rumour that Columbia Records production dept had a bad period around this time so that may explain it.

Lodger, Mar 31, 2004
  11. mutant

HenryT

Hindemith - Symphonic Metamorphoses, etc; Abbado/LSO

Easy Dub All Stars - Dub Side Of The Moon :lol: :MILD:

Deep Purple - Machine Head (Double CD Anniversay Remaster)

Scott Joplin - Super Hits :- A selection of Joplin's piano music played on the harpsichord :eek: by organist E Power Biggs. Joplin on harpsichord really works IMO, although this isn't the version I heard on the radio which I originally intended to get. The track I heard on the radio was a version of Elite Syncapations played by a female soloist, although I can't rememebr her name so ended up with this version instead as this was the only Joplin harpsichord album I could find after a bit of a search. I prefered the version I heard on the radio, a much freer and groovier performance, Biggs is much more of a "strict" classical player.

Various - Classical Transcriptions :- Well known classical favourites arranged for and played by a steal drum band. :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000365FH/202-7924199-7326265

HenryT, Apr 7, 2004
  12. mutant

Well, if you want to start one off, here's the ultimate top 2 in my collection:
    Human's Lib - Howard Jones
    Dream into action - Howard Jones

Both harsher than the North Atlantic in November, with treble that would make Naim SL2s sound muffled...

The recent EMI remaster of David Bowie's Hunky Dory was bloody awful as well; my 1971 8track cartridge copy has more life and musicality than that - the CD was flat as a pancake musically. "No Noise" should be renamed to "No Tune". The RCA original 1983 pressing I acquired later sounds far superior - and yet the disc is such an ancient pressing that it doesn't even have a matrix number on the CD!

domfjbrown, Apr 8, 2004
  13. mutant

Oh god Henry - I knew your taste was, err, different, but that sounds like hifi show plinque music from hell!!!! Is it any good?

The Dub side of the moon one sounds good though.

BTW - I have my Beatles "Let it be - Naked" - ooops! Sorry for the confusion!

domfjbrown, Apr 8, 2004
  14. mutant

HenryT

I've not actually received it through the post yet. Bought it pretty much on spec after just listening to sound samples at Amazon (see my above link). I was looking around for something else at the time and just stumbled across this compilaton by accident. It's not plinque, would you call a Caribbean steel drum band in full flight plinque? :rolleyes: :)

I'll lend it to you. You'll definitely enjoy it, it's just full of druggy references which you'll appreciate. :MILD:

Ah right, I've looked for it again and again. Don't remember giving it back to you. :eek: Relieved to hear you've got it now anyway. :)

HenryT, Apr 8, 2004
  15. mutant

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

Sounds interesting, bring it to Egham with you and we could put it on the ruck-o-stereo on the train :D

ilockyer, Apr 9, 2004
  16. mutant

space cadet Far out...

I'm on holiday back in Norway and as I'm writing this I'm somewhat pissed on posh wine, but I've picked up some groovy norwegian music while i've been here, they are:
    CD
    Kim Hiorthøy - Hei
    Jaga Jazzist - The stix
    Deathprod - 4cd box set on Rune Grammofon
    Salvatore - Luxus

Vinyl
    St Thomas - Hey Harmony (180g ltd to 300)
    St Thomas - 7" ep (name escapes me, too drunk to remember)
    Dipsomaniacs - Tremelo of her mind (psychedelic thingy in lovely sleeve...)

Going back home tomorrow and hopefully there's an order from Erstwhile waiting for me!

space cadet, Apr 17, 2004
  17. mutant

sideshowbob Trisha

Some interesting stuff there. The Deathprod box sounds interesting.

Shock, horror, only CDs today:

- Mum, Summer Make Good. Their new album, looking forward to this, their last record (Finally We Are No-one) is a favourite of mine. A bit like Sigur Ros, vocally, but more interesting IMO.

- Stan Tracey/Evan Parker, Suspensions and Anticipations. Recent improvisations between the veteran pianist and one of the greatest living saxophonists. Absolutely brilliant.

- Cecil Taylor Quartet, Incarnation. Recorded in 1999, released last year, Taylor with cellist Tristan Honsinger, ace drummer Andrew Cyrille, and a guitarist (!???!), Franky Dunlop. Interesting line-up, haven't listened to it yet.

- Moondog, A New Sound of an Old Instrument. Pieces for organ.

- Moondog, In Europe. A diverse set of pieces for combinations of organ, percussion, violin, cello, celeste. Collecting Moondog albums is my new project. GrahamN, you should hear some of this, I think you'd really like it. Jazz and baroque influenced, he also writes orchestral music and claims his major inspiration as Charlie Parker, and for years made his living playing music on the streets of New York. An odd and distinctive musical voice. Great beard, too.

- Robbie Basho, The Seal of the Blue Lotus. Genius guitarist and all-round nut job, taken under John Fahey's wing in the 60s, although they subsequently had a major falling-out. Heavily influenced by sitar music, but makes George Harrison look like an amateur. Big influence on some of the more interesting American acoustic guitar music of the moment (Jack Rose especially).

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2004
    sideshowbob, Apr 17, 2004
  18. mutant

jonboselector

Interesting
    For me some more mainstream but not that easy to find : -

Excellent vinyl copies of :
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Supertramp - Indelibly Stamped (although I like there first album better)
    In Good Company - nice 1970's rock sampler
    Rolling Stones - Get Yer Ya Yas Out - great atmosphere

and an average copy of Bert Weedons 20 Greatest Hits that I gave to a charity shop and then bought it back off them two weeks later because I reallised I wanted to learn the tunes on my guitar.

Attached Files:

jonboselector, Apr 18, 2004
  19. mutant

sideshowbob Trisha

Everyone should have a Bert Weedon Greatest Hits album I reckon. What's not to like?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 18, 2004
  20. mutant

Sid and Coke

Metallica- Metallica ( 'The Black Album') . S/H on Vinyl (Vertigo orig)
    Pearl Jam - VS on Vinyl ( sealed, new old stock)
    Claire Martin - Best of CD ( nice recording on the Linn label)
    REM- In Time - Best of CD ( the bonus CD has some good stuff on it too)
    Marilyn Manson- The Golden Age ... Bought it for a 5 quid look-see and ended up really liking it. He's a right freak though...

edited:
    Forgot abou the record fair of a couple of weeks ago ;
    Queen- Innuendo. Vinyl (mint/mint)
    Queen- Flash ( mint/mint)
    Queen- Sheer heart attack ( Ex/Mint)
    PIL- Second edition. I think this has the same content as MB but in a soft wrapper. I only paid peanuts for it luckily, as i think it's pretty crap, Hmm ok shouldn't knock other peoples artistic efforts when i couldn't do any better myself , so i'll say it's not my cup of tea.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2004
    Sid and Coke, Apr 18, 2004
Ask a Question