[Review] CD lathe update

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by larkrise, Oct 13, 2006.

1. larkrise

sideshowbob Trisha

As with all of these things, it's most likely because the effect is either minimal or non-existent. There's no great mystery IMO. If the difference was significant and obvious, there would be no debate about it. The same goes for all the other tweakery engaged in by some audiophiles.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Dec 4, 2006
  2. larkrise

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

hi

it's a stock meridian 500 v2.

At it's price point (about £400 used) it's a great transport. If I was going to spend £600 on my cd front end I'd chop everything in and start from scratch...

bottleneck, Dec 4, 2006
  3. larkrise

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Thanks Bottleneck,
    I'd agreed I wouldn't spend £600 to mod mine,I payed about £400 for my 500MK2 on ebay.
    I was just lucky as I part exchanged my old Clock 2 for the Clock 4, which was about £150, and was very lucky to get the NCS on ebay for £80.00 !, so it's been done on the cheap, over time.
    As I said ,you are more than welcome to try out the Lathed CD-Rs.

STELLABAGPUSS, Dec 4, 2006
  4. larkrise

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

I think the transport does have a contribution to the benefit of lathed CDs. I have an Audio Synthesis Transcend (ASL modified) and the difference grabs you by the throat it's that obvious. Also goes for a friend of mine with same transport. He's tried other transports and tells me there are degrees of benefit - I guess this would make sense looking at the science that's being spun. I'm about to experiment with black CDRs (on order) have been told these make an interesting further improvement. If it works it means you may keep your originals intact. . . I'll let you al know.

This thread's run on a bit then?

larkrise, Dec 4, 2006
  5. larkrise

9designs Linn Nut

Well I compared a bit more, on the 1.1 I had the impression it gave touch more life and vitality to some tracks, so subtle, don't think I would be able to blind identify the disc.....but something was there.
    In the Karik, different room/system, it was not really noticeable, though the system obviously sounds lacking compared to the main room, so made it harder to judge...... So far I'd put the money else where in the system.

9designs, Dec 4, 2006
  6. larkrise

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

yeah, it's a great transport isn't it?

If mine ever went tits up, I'd look for another minter for about £400.

bottleneck, Dec 4, 2006
  7. larkrise

Mr_Sukebe

I heard a CD lathe yesterday, was so impressed that I coughed up the dosh for one.
    One more convert.

Mr_Sukebe, Dec 5, 2006
  8. larkrise

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Where can I see/hear a CD lathe,I an in North London,?

Purite Audio, Dec 28, 2006
  9. larkrise

Mr_Sukebe

Received my lathe today (thanks Tone).

What can I say. Haven't got a clue why it really works, but it certainly does. A definite reduction in general grunge, thus an apparent improvement in dynamic range, better definition of musicians and a resultant feeling that you're that bit closer to really having the band in the room with you.
    If you have a reasonably expensive CD based system these should be packaged as standard! Worth every penny.

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 3, 2007
  10. larkrise

Purite Audio Purite Audio

Hi Sukebe , if I sent a CD to you would you put it on the lathe for me, I have a few duplicate Cd's it might be interesting,I will pay postage, thanks Keith.

Purite Audio, Jan 3, 2007
  11. larkrise

DavidF

that would certainly be my experience.

DavidF, Jan 3, 2007
  12. larkrise

Mr Sukebe - try burning your Cd on to a black CDR and lathing the copy - even better

larkrise, Jan 6, 2007
  13. larkrise

Mr_Sukebe

Better than the original?

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 6, 2007
  14. larkrise

Mr_Sukebe

As per our PM discussion...

Mr_Sukebe, Jan 6, 2007
  15. larkrise

Mr Sukebe

Better than the original?

Yes!

larkrise, Jan 6, 2007
  16. larkrise

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Wouldn't it be better to Lathe first,prior to burning the CD-R?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
    STELLABAGPUSS, Jan 7, 2007
  17. larkrise

actually - have heard that approach might be better, so you are probably right.

larkrise, Jan 7, 2007
  18. larkrise

Ant

This has been an enjoyable read thanks everyone.

Now I have a question does the lathe make more of a difference than the flashy light and black felt tip trick thing?

Ant, Jan 10, 2007
  19. larkrise

melorib Lowrider

I always used the light after lathing, lathing makes difference in more discs then light, maybe if I did the other way it would be different...

Also, I only tested a few discs, now I just do it...

melorib, Jan 10, 2007
  20. larkrise

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

I'm new to all this, and i have no idea how lazers read data off cd or how they store it and process it. and my engineering is pretty mediocre too, and my electronics, none existent.

But here's the thing.

If the hole in the centre of the CD is more likely to be accurate than the unused rough edge of the CD, then trimming the outer edge to make it more concentric to the centre hole is bound to improve concentricity.

so we have a smoother spinning CD.

Now maybe in some systems, the consistentcy this brings, mechnically, and electronically down the line to servos and stuff, might help the sound. you know like patting your head and rubbing your stomach, either is easy on it's own, but more difficult at the same time.

Maybe there's cd mechs out there that re-read data many times and store the closest-average of all the reads, maybe these mechs gain little benefit from the lathed disc as they get more chances for a correct read, or ask for a sample guess from elsewhere in the system less often.

Maybe there are crap mechs that are guessing all the time so need any help they get.

Or maybe in reality cd players are mechanical and electronic in nature and the two are so interwoven, improvements in one area always effect the other and alter the output....

Either way i'd love to hear some fixed disks.

The only way to truly find out is to save out the binary data from cd player before it goes through the dac, I2s (is that what its called?) and then compare two identical sections from treated and untreat disc

I'd bet my girlfriend that they will be more different than consecutive reads of the same discs. Didnt what's-hi-face in HFN do something similar while back.

Lets not get too hung up on the manufacturers description of how these things work...

As someone with significant experience of positioning products within technical, feature driven markets, 'you know it wouldn't be beyond the manufacturer coming up with a semi-plausable technical reason for why it works, when frankly.... they haven't got a bastard clue'

sq225917, Jan 11, 2007
Ask a Question