So Thorsten has broken cover ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Murray, so was I, I think. Glad to hear they had taste.

Paul, they are actually very stable, the speakers weigh 40Kgs each, which helps and they can play loud enough. Incidentally where did you buy them from? I'm wondering about getting one for the sub, not sure yet as I hardly use it but, may be tempted if they are priced reasonably.

Dev, Aug 2, 2006
  2. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

Nuff said about your knowledge really. I'm not surprised you think I'm making the rest up when:

- You state your system has zero audible distortion

- You can't figure out if a dome has breakup modes

- You use marketing and high profile users to back any such doubts of performance

- You can't interpret data and how this would translate into correct and less-correct implementation

- You preoccupy yourself with anything but the issue being debated

Your hardly qualified to open a tin of beans by the looks of it, let alone get schooled in audio.

Thanks, I have indeed got it made - 90" projection screen, room treatments and a serious sound system. Way better than popping down to the local cinema.

This will probably make more sense to you than reiterating: mongle-jongle-bong

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  3. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

I got them custom made from a ship builders down a country lane. £50 all in, I think. Postage might be £500 though, so best to find a local ship builders. I'm sure there's loads in Ilford :D

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Markus S

Dev Moderator

:D indeed.

Dev, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Just use a local man hole cover or a car clamp. :p

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Markus S

Dev Moderator

I was going to use a paving slab but the boss said no:(. Still, very good idea you had there Paul. What do you use now?

Dev, Aug 2, 2006
  7. Markus S

Stereo Mic

Sorry but this is serious

[​IMG]

Yours is nice.

Stereo Mic, Aug 2, 2006
  8. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Drooled all over my keyboard.

Dev, Aug 2, 2006
  9. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Nothing at all. My new speakers are smaller, in a small room. I have some acoustic treatments but I don't think I need any slabs for bass tightening. They were just a temporary experiment for a while.

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  10. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

SM, are you single? My girlfriend would not have that in the house!

That is a setup I'd like in a lounge. Possibly with some more subs. Maybe a whole wall of them. :cool: :D

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  11. Markus S

Stereo Mic

Geez that's not mine - In fact, you've made me think. I have to admit that my set up could be even bigger if I dragged the subs in from the garage....

But it kind of makes Shin's look cute don't you think?

Stereo Mic, Aug 2, 2006
  12. Markus S

andyoz

[​IMG]

andyoz, Aug 2, 2006
  13. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

We haven’t seen Shin's have we? Only seen a few shots of the speakers. I bet those JBL's sound really good. Very dynamic and immediate, but they look pretty pants! Though given what they had to fit into the design they look alright.

What is the projector screen size there S&M?

Tenson, Aug 2, 2006
  14. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Well it is larger, but perhaps the room is larger too. Both might be simiarly impressive in their respective environments.

Still, look at those woofers. How about a third tier of 24" Precision Devices underneath. With horns. :JOEL:

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  15. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Murray - in your opinion for your music taste. The systems you admire would fail utterly at playing half of my record collection. Which is unacceptable to me. I want the music reproduced as it is. Not a system that can just play a very small range of music and adds a lot of its own character that you seem addicted to. That may be what you like but it isnt "high fidelity". Before you start - I dont just listen to thrash.

Sm - having heard the kondo system that is at the very pinnacle of your worship I can safely say that it isnt. For reasons given in the paragraph above.

Bub - I suggest you study the phenomena of resonance more closely - along with just about every other topic you have ever ventured an opinion on ;). Try listening to some more kit - it will give you an even bigger shock than the one you got from comparing the sme (an average deck) to the linn (a **** poor one). Perhaps you should have learnt something from the experience rather than just shifting religion?

anon_bb, Aug 2, 2006
  16. Markus S

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

BBV - you have a seemingly unshakeable view that PMC speakers reproduce music ''as it is''...

..and that other (Non-PMC) speakers are coloured - be they ATC, JBL, Vitavox or whatever.

Your views would be more balanced in my humble opinion, if you accepted that ALL speakers change the sound - including electrostatics, horns, domes, cones etc.

PMC speakers don't alter the sound less.

They simply alter the sound in a way that you find appealing.

bottleneck, Aug 2, 2006
  17. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

I was humouring bub since he feels the need to be wanted.

And yes, that is a serious setup indeed. I'm dissappointed though, no DIY, I guess you hung the projection screen? :D

I'd struggle to fit one of those big JBL's in my room. BTW I've heard a smaller version of those too, it had just a 15" and the horn, can't remember the model number, think they're discontinued now as I can't find them on the JBL site. Good sounds though, certainly better than ATC's efforts eh bub :D

I assume the subs are on the bottom of the mains? 18"?

I'm working on a pair of subs right now using some B&C 12" pro audio drivers because the ATC 9" only runs flat down to 50hz due to me going sealed with critically damped alignment so it all sounds a bit lightweight at the moment. They're **** hot though at what they do, infact they're pretty demanding on the partenering sub design, been through a pair of 15" Volt Radials, Acoustic Elegance AV15's and ATC 15" shortcoils from the studio range. B&C is very promising though with a novel take on a vented design, certainly looks purposeful:

[​IMG]

Kinda makes the ATC driver look a bit inadaquate which isn't the case.

Shame I don't have more room. I've got aspirations to either large horns or high efficiency line arrays but neither of those work particularly well in the near field. For the moment I'll have to make do with nice.

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  18. Markus S

JonR

BBV, that last post of yours, plus your repeated protestations as to the supposed sound quality of PMCs, proves absolutely conclusively that you have cloth ears!

JonR, Aug 2, 2006
  19. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

Classier yes.

All my own work too, you sell out :D

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  20. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Sub appearance can be very misleading.

I used to own a stonking great matt black 15" celestion bass driver, with a HUGE magnet assembly and vast cast frame. The thing looked like an ATAT's knee joint.

To my absolute amazement it was well and truly thrashed by a tiny 10" JL pip squeek, with a mere pressed steel chassis and tiny magnet. The JL half pint cocked a leg up and wee'd all over it, in terms of out right volume, depth, accuracy, you name it.

Forget voice coil diameter, cone size, or magnet size. IME, it's the motor's vmax that make the difference.

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
Ask a Question