So Thorsten has broken cover ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Such blither cannot even be answered sensibly. Speakers produce orders of magnitude more distortion than the rest of the system combined.

anon_bb, Aug 2, 2006
  2. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Nonsense Murray. You just want to believe you are floating above us all in a realm of enlightenment - it isnt the case :p

anon_bb, Aug 2, 2006
  3. Markus S

penance Arrogant Cock

Cant you 2 get a room, maybe share at that ****athon?

penance, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Markus S

The Devil IHTFP

I can't be bothered any more, bye all.

The Devil, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Markus S

murray johnson

'Fraid not BBV. There are people way further down the road than I am. They aren't using pmc's though!

murray johnson, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

Yes, I am a self confessed audio nerd, I think who's posted in this thread is. Your a mixture of nerd and 'keep-it-in-the-family' redneck though.

We also aren't talking about the SCM100/150/300 though. I'm using the drivers in the SCM50 so its natural that I'd draw parallels with that design, although still different in implementation(thankfully). Flip flopping on the issue doesn't validate anything, it just highlights that your clutching at straws.

You also fail to realise that the problem driver in all the designs is the ATC mid. All ATC's larger monitors share that driver and also all have the very same XO points - 380hz & 3.5Khz with 24dB/oct. I'm half betting that the XO's are identical for the SCM50/100/150/300. So as you can see the problems aren't address but are simply carried across with greater bass extension as you go up through bass driver size and number.

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  7. Markus S

Stereo Mic

One day you may well realise that it is.

Stereo Mic, Aug 2, 2006
  8. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

I've never had a tube based amp in my system before, only experienced them at hifi shows which is usually entirely unsuitable. I did hear some rather nice MBL ones on the end of their top of the range omni directional loudspeakers at the Northern hifi Show this year in January.

I also heard an unknown model - very highly polished gold body with piano finished chunky realwood side cheeks, a real work of art it was. Where was I? Oh yes, I heard this unknown model with some JBL K2's. Again another head turner with a natural and 'live' sound that drew you in from the corridor outside, I half expected a small jazz ensemble to playing in the room before I actually walked in - that's when you know something is right.

I should also add that I've heard many more that sounded pretty aweful. The same goes for sand amps too but there seems to be less at the poor end but just as few at the really good end. Much was very debatable because hifi shows aren't representative of system performance, a few rooms are obviously the exception though but these are rare.

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  9. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Murray, your right, I have no idea what I'm looking at there. It looks like the innards of that pesky K9 that keeps being mentioned. I only have limited exposure to valves so my generalisations were a bit tounge in cheek. I heard a warm, gushing, live sounding, hissy DIY valve once, plus I owned a BAT vk3ix too. That was accurate, clinical but still bloody noisey and hissy. Made my ultra clean hifi spinning ninja tunes sound like a battered old LP12. The amp was brand new and was check over by the dealer too. Pah, valves and me didn't mix afterall. Too many compromises :D

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  10. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Caviar to pigs:D.

Dev, Aug 2, 2006
  11. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Dev, did you ever use those steel plinths in the end? Other than to line a skip I mean :D

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  12. Markus S

andyoz

Didn't you read the ****athon rules. No. 1 clearly states ..."No touching other participants".

Has "Mr Happy" gone? And not one mention of Dave Gilmour, amazing!......................EDIT: Oh yes he did, predictable.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2006
    andyoz, Aug 2, 2006
  13. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

Yes, very serious.

I'm not the only one that thinks so either. I've already said that I've got a nice sounding system and this is with those same drivers you have. Despite going through a few bass drivers and trying out a couple of tweeters I've never thrown the ATC mid out of the design because its very good when harnessed fully, infact I saw huge potential and spent £800 for a pair of supers to replace the standards.

I'm mong'in out here so I'll put it as simply as possible:

Distortion absolutely sky rockets on the ATC mid below 400hz and its got a cone breakup at 4.5Khz. ATC's XO allows these to become factors that can both be heard and definitely measured when considering the loudspeaker system as a whole. It not gross distortion that would disturb one but when compared to an XO that largely negates these problems then it becomes clear which sounds and measures better.

I won't go into the frequency response of the ATC mid, its **** poor though and needs some wedging. ATC don't bother with that though.

You need to audition the SCM50's alongside my K9's :D so you can hear these improvements. At the moment your only point of reference is those and a lot of faith despite evidence screaming to the contrary.

Do you have a fetish for where people live? First BBV and now me. Glad you liked it BTW :)

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  14. Markus S

penance Arrogant Cock

Did i say they should touch?
    Maybe just show him his and he can show him his:confused:

penance, Aug 2, 2006
  15. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Yes Paul, I most certainly did. Without doubt the best upgrade ever! Tightened up the bottom end nicely, thank you. If only they were about an inch wider. Take a look at this picture:-

[​IMG]

Dev, Aug 2, 2006
  16. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

;)

Taken from here:

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showpost.php?p=179125&postcount=175

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  17. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

That looks a bit scary there.

What are the speakers Dev?

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 2, 2006
  18. Markus S

Dev Moderator

Tannoy D700.

What do you mean scary? I have a mm on each side:D. Seriously they work very well, at least for me.

Dev, Aug 2, 2006
  19. Markus S

KUB3 ciao

Cool. Just don't play them too loud or you may get a huge thud of bass as they tip over!

KUB3, Aug 2, 2006
  20. Markus S

murray johnson

I was joking Dev. They liked them really. If WW wasn't down you could have a look.

rgs,

Murray

murray johnson, Aug 2, 2006
Ask a Question