Sonic Impact T-Amp

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ChrisPa, Jan 20, 2005.

1. ChrisPa

Hodgesaargh

Thanks, looks interesting.

Hodgesaargh, Mar 22, 2005
  2. ChrisPa

Hodgesaargh

What about power supply? Presumably it isnt 230V?

Hodgesaargh, Mar 22, 2005
  3. ChrisPa

T-bone Sanchez

I got my dac direct from derek, £122 was the final bill. Derek provides a UK power supply that does the job although you really need to get a better one to get the full benefits.

T-bone Sanchez, Mar 23, 2005
  4. ChrisPa

BlueMax

Right! We have battery powered DACs, amps and high efficiency speakers. Still missing is a sensibly priced battery powered CDP.

Any good modders in this forum?!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
    BlueMax, Mar 23, 2005
  5. ChrisPa

Tenson Moderator

So are we still interested in organising a power buy? It seems that distributor in the US has them in stock now so... I will drop them an email and see if they are willing to give some sort of discount for a large buy.

Or Stumblin if you are still willing to make this happen, please do!

Surely the Ipod is a good portable music player using uncompressed files? The hard thing is speakers that sound good and are portable, can someone invent electrostatics you can roll up please?

EDIT: Oh okay I take it bck the partsexpress place is out of stock again! I'll still send an email.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2005
    Tenson, Mar 23, 2005
  6. ChrisPa

BlueMax

At TNT-Audio Addicts forum, group buys for over 400 T-Amps were placed many weeks ago. Deliveries have at last started last week. But there is still a substantial back order.

Couple of other US retailers to consider are:
    PCMall $19.99
    http://www.pcmall.com/pcmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=494795
    Thinkgeek $29.99 + Airborne Express Intl $27.97; UPS Express $29.02
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/audio/6cd8

Best volume discounts tend to be direct from the manufacturer. Cos they have higher margins to play with.

PS.
    Just imported a Monarchy Audio DIP Upsampler for £160.64p. Free shipping to UK. :)
    Price from Wollaton Audio, the UK Distributor, is £399 plus delivery charges. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2005
    BlueMax, Mar 24, 2005
  7. ChrisPa

adam

adam, Mar 24, 2005
  8. ChrisPa

Tenson Moderator

The website still says 'Stock Due 4/5/2005' So I think they mean they can offer that price and quantity when they are in stock.

I work that out at about £25 per person who wants an amp to get it right to their door + a little bit for my efforts.

When they come back in stock at Parts Express I am happy to take payments on paypal, order them and ship them out to each of you using GPO Standard Parcel service.

I also emailed PCMall but stil lawaiting a quote. If somewhere else has them in stock sooner then let me know, otherwise I will mention this again nearer the time and we can see who is still interested.

Tenson, Mar 24, 2005
  9. ChrisPa

BlueMax

Simon

If the US dealer send it with their name and invoice price on the documentation, it will almost certainly be charged import duty, VAT (on invoice vale + Shipping + Import duty). Then the carrier will charge £20 and more as admin fees.

If you can explain to the dealer he might 'co-operate' with documenation. ;)
    Another alternative is to get a friend in the US to take delivery and get him to send you the goods with postage only shown on the documentaion.

BlueMax, Mar 24, 2005
  10. ChrisPa

Tenson Moderator

Ahhh yes I forgot about tax. The standard way is to send something as a 'Gift' is it not? Also when I was looking at importing another amp I was told if I got them to obtain a 'GSP certificate' then I would not get much tax.

Tenson, Mar 24, 2005
  11. ChrisPa

penance Arrogant Cock

Tenson, unfortunatly being marked as gift now means nothing, anything over the threshold will be taxed (last time i checked it was 31 quid and above). The only way around it is if you can prove you lived in the country of origin and owned the equipment before moving to the UK, slightly awkward for UK citizens;)
    On very rare occasions people may get away with import, i have on some lower cost items (but still priced above the threshold).
    Sometimes the item will be delivered with no extra bill, but invariably a bill will show within the next few weeks.
    To tell people you can get away with it is folly and misleading.

penance, Mar 24, 2005
  12. ChrisPa

Hodgesaargh

Get them to put that the equipment is faulty and worthless.

Hodgesaargh, Mar 24, 2005
  13. ChrisPa

BlueMax

The parcel I got a few days ago was sent using USPS Global Express Mail (3-5 days). Upto USD100 standard insurance cover. The mailing label did not have value shown. Just postage. USD38.75 for 4 lbs 8 oz.

If anything need to be filled in the forms, safest way is for the sender to use personal name, gift, no commercial value and no additonal insurance. Ask the sender not to include invoice with the parcel.

There is always the risk of a parcel getting lost but it is very very rare.
    USPS has a tracking facility on the net
    http://www.usps.com/shipping/trackandconfirm.htm
    I don't post my tracking number in an open forum. If you want to see what went on step-by-step, PM me.

BlueMax, Mar 24, 2005
  14. ChrisPa

BlueMax

BOLLOX!

Many people who imported those excellent NOS-DACs did not pay import duties, VAT, etc.

Nothing I imported privately in the last 3 years or so got done.
    I guess it is a bit like running a business. Some get it all wrong and go bankrupt whist some others doing the same business make millions :p

PS.
    Such remarks by Penance will bring shame on Bristolians and Bristol. A place with a chequered history of smuggling :D

BlueMax, Mar 24, 2005
  15. ChrisPa

avanzato

So has anyone got a T-amp yet?

I've just tacked one onto my order from Spectrum Audio not for the 'awesome' audio qualities it may have but cos I need a small desktop amp. After I ordered the guy who runs the shop (Wolfgang) said that it's a great combo with the drivers I originally went there for. My Chipamp kits arrived today as well so I'm gonna be busy over the next few days/weeks.

avanzato, Apr 1, 2005
  16. ChrisPa

penance Arrogant Cock

BM,

God knows what your problem is, but just spit it out eh!
    You need to check your history aswell. Do you really think that by mentioning Bristol i would be upset??
    Your a very strange little man.

penance, Apr 2, 2005
  17. ChrisPa

analoguekid Planet Rush

Penance, I have bought around 10 things from overseas, all over the £31 threshold, and have only been charged duty for the last one, i reckon it's the luck of the draw, best thing to do is be take duty costs into equation when ordering, and if you don't get charged it's a bonus

analoguekid, Apr 2, 2005
  18. ChrisPa

penance Arrogant Cock

Exactly AK, it is just how your luck lies, my point is that people should not be told they can get away with it. Some will and some wont, but if you get charged you have no option but to pay

penance, Apr 2, 2005
  19. ChrisPa

zanash

My Two Tamps arrived from parts express....no charge was made [other than the original cost approx $50]

They sound suprisingly good and loud enough to drive some 8ohm speakers ...in striped down form.......lots of work to go yet !

zanash, Apr 5, 2005
  20. ChrisPa

mudan

Mine's shipped from PartsExpress and I'm waiting for delivery....

What I'm wondering is - will it be wise and safe to use a 15v adaptor from Maplin or should I stick to the standard 12v as I'm not keen on buying a pricey 13.8v unit ?

mudan, Apr 6, 2005
Ask a Question