speaker cable

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by oceanobsession, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oceanobsession

DavidF

no, true enough, you didn't...... apologies

No, certainly for the moment, the cones are having to take a back seat.

Regrettably.

DavidF, Dec 8, 2007
  2. oceanobsession

cooky1257

Course not, S&M says he never posts nasty-ever, never ever and I believe him, then again I also believe the Nolan sisters all sleep under my stairs.

cooky1257, Dec 8, 2007
  3. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

Good heavens no - I'm often referred to as his associate, or "ass" for short.

Chortle indeed.

Surely you've heard of the 5000 Signature?

Stereo Mic, Dec 8, 2007
  4. oceanobsession

rollo

OK men,
    Our audio club has decided to perform a double blind test of ICs. Should prove interesting. Any suggestions for the test?

SM, any suggestions
    David F, any suggestions

Your input is welcomed.

rollo

rollo, Dec 8, 2007
  5. oceanobsession

Baudrillard

[​IMG]

Well, they also make a perfectly good £50 a metre cable on sale though selected agents. Indeed, there's a cable salesman selling it on this very forum.

Baudrillard, Dec 8, 2007
  6. oceanobsession

DavidF

Sorry, what sort of suggestions had you in mind?

My appreciation for platalloys is now well documented........but there maybe even better out there!? Pete?

DavidF, Dec 8, 2007
  7. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

Who? Penance? That's the only ad I can find. Still keep trying lad.

Stereo Mic, Dec 8, 2007
  8. oceanobsession

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

well when i started my cable making journey, i grabbed some materials,madesomecables,listened to them,altered them,listened to them,altered them, etc etc and then finally stopped altering them.

maybe i could have made cables that sound identicalto what i now have slightly larger copper ribbon than the silver i used, who knows. i certainly don't care.

\Leffe brune.

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/synergistic/tesla.html

sq225917, Dec 8, 2007
  9. oceanobsession

anon_bb Honey Badger

If you subtract the people making a buck out of selling cables from the poll I suspect the proportions will change markedly. They all come out of the woodwork when doubters voice their opinions and give the illusion of support for this specious concept. The silent majority simply doesn't care.

anon_bb, Dec 8, 2007
  10. oceanobsession

RobHolt Moderator

I second BBVs recommendation for plain old 79 strand.
    Alternatively if you need a 4 core cable, Canare 4S11 is unbeatable being very robust (designed for stage use) and has low LCR.
    A lot of cable for £3.50pm - I use it.
    The manufacturer seems honest and gives plenty of technical info on their site which is a welcome change from some of unfounded nonsense posted about cables.

http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=ED7479EC-3048-7098-AF06286428706042

RobHolt, Dec 8, 2007
  11. oceanobsession

penance Arrogant Cock

um, are you taking the piss?

Edit to add> the cables i have for sale (5m isolda speaker cable) are the cables i purchased from you!

penance, Dec 9, 2007
  12. oceanobsession

cooky1257

To quote Shakespeare......."hoist with his own petard"..

As a result of this thoughtful construction, Isolda Interconnect has a uniquely 'hear through' sound quality, devoid of the fuzziness, tonal imbalances and graininess which afflict other interconnect cables. But we've now found a way of making it even better.

As with the Enhanced™ Isolda Deep Cryogenic (EDCT) Loudspeaker Cable, the copper strip conductors are subject to deep cryogenic treatment and post-tempering prior to being assembled into the finished cable. The copper is slowly cooled to about –190 degrees Celsius, held there for a number of hours, and then gradually returned to room temperature.
    EDCT is proven to improve the lattice structure of copper, eliminating small 'dislocations', and has an amazing effect on the cable's final sound. Dynamics are improved, clarity is further enhanced and the sound takes on a difficult to describe but immediately recognisable naturalness that untreated cables cannot match.

cooky1257, Dec 9, 2007
  13. oceanobsession

George Sallit

Rollo,

I would have thought that it would be worthwhile having a bog standard cable (3 core mains lead?), a decent (but inexpensive) audio cable such as QED/Monster, an audiophile special (any Transparent/Cardas/Kimber cable), a super one if you can get one (you know knee tremblingly expensive) and then a left field cable (such as anti-cable). A fairly straightforward single blind test should work well (trying not to make it into a lab test). And then try it out.

It is unlikely you will convince the doubters (or the reverse if their is not any differences) but you will be doing your members a service/saving them money/sending them on the road to ruin depending on the outcome.

Will be interested in the outcome and promise not to bitch about it.

George Sallit, Dec 9, 2007
  14. oceanobsession

George Sallit

I agree. If I had looked after the experiments I would not have published those results, even the extended paper. They did not take proper account of other factors that could cause differences such as grounding issues. A pity as I would have liked to have quoted them to death to you.....:) Ho hum.....;)

I think Audioholics is somewhat biased and then proves its biases. Interesting reading but a bit closed minded. Some of the equipment they like sounds crap.

15. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

Um no. I'm just pointing out that what ever his name is is barking up the wrong tree.

Cooky, when you see me spouting that BS and trying to get ZG'ers to buy the product, you can take the piss for all you are worth. Anyone making such claims deserves to be harranged until the cows come home IMHO.

Stereo Mic, Dec 9, 2007
  16. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

That's the problem IMHO George. If you are biased but able to prove your biases, how can you be closed minded? If you prove something, surely you are simply correct? I take your point though - a lot of audiophiles would take issue with their stance despite it's provability and grounding in solid well researched science. I think we seem to have the same problem here :D

Stereo Mic, Dec 9, 2007
  17. oceanobsession

cooky1257

SM, Did you start with the bog standard Isolda's and then after selling a few pairs make enough money to upgrade to the cryo'd version or did you jump straight in and opt for for the super dooper sounding improved version from the start??

cooky1257, Dec 9, 2007
  18. oceanobsession

George Sallit

OK but people keep quoting LCR parameters which is only half the argument. These differences then need plugging into the right equations and the impacts calculated. If you do that using 'conventional theory' you will find that the majority of cables may measure subtly different (especially with 'super digital measuring equipment') but their impact on things like frequency response is really miniscule. So LCR parameter differences do not relate to cable differences for the majority of cables.

But even this is a sop.

All published DBTs (that I am aware of) have not shown statistically significant differences between cables. So LCR parameters may change, frequency response (as an example) may alter but no tests have shown people can hear it.

QED?????????????

19. oceanobsession

cooky1257

I know I prefer Pepsi to Coke but in a DBT couldn't tell them apart after about 5 goes:)

cooky1257, Dec 9, 2007
  20. oceanobsession

Stereo Mic

Would you care to explain that George? If any differences are not measurable via the LCR characteristics, what do you put them down to?

The argument is AFAIK, that you can have small measurable differences that will not be audible, but you cannot have audible differences that will not be measurable.

Stereo Mic, Dec 9, 2007
Ask a Question