An open post to the forum's Naim representatives

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Jan 8, 2004.

1. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

180 wpc seems a little wimpy considering the price. Good for sensitive speakers in a small room, I guess. No wonder Stealth struggled to drive the passive ATC 100s, and with the hardware downgrading of the ECS amps, even more care with partnering speakers might well be necessary.

The Devil, Jan 12, 2004
  2. merlin

Alex S User

Actually, the Hi-Fi+ one did shut down rather often; probably the sight of RG so nothing to worry about there. Trouble is the blue light starting flashing and I don't want Marco to worry unduly. Its imperative that the 0.2 amp quick blow fuse is kept in place though: sadly, Memera RCBOs just can't keep up with all the ECS transformer mods.

Alex S, Jan 12, 2004
  3. merlin

Markus S Trade

Hi Paul,

why is PSU regulation arguably unnecessary?

And if your only problem with the ECS is the colour of the LED, I'm sure you're handy enough with a soldering iron to fix that problem.

Markus

Markus S, Jan 12, 2004
  4. merlin

Steven Toy

I am sure Marco was only jesting as I know he is not lookng to fall out with WM.

Marco behave yourself ;)

Steven Toy, Jan 12, 2004
  5. merlin

Steven Toy

Short memories

Last Feb I was at JTC's place and I phoned Marco. He mentioned the little Italian café then.

Steven Toy, Jan 12, 2004
  6. merlin

The Devil IHTFP

'Mini-Me' speaks out again

Nice one, Steve.

The Devil, Jan 12, 2004
  7. merlin

Marco

Steve, I'm quite sure WM can take a harmless bit of banter; he dishes it out often enough himself.

Btw, mail me when you want to come over for a listen.

Marco.

P.S Alex, you're a hoot!

Marco, Jan 12, 2004
  8. merlin

mick parry stroppy old git

Jason

Re: Merlin

But Mick that is almost certainly true of all of the more expensive brands, in fact more true Naim at least offer a system solution starting at around £3k, that buys you 50% of the entry level MArk Levinson CD player!

There is much more to it that that. A decent dealer will sort out cable worries for you if you don't want the hassle and perhaps this is the biggest difference. Naim dealers have, historically, been real enthusiasts and themselves extemely loyal to the brand. Some of the extreme Naimees are actually extreme <insert dealers name>ees. This all came out of the years when Naim were growing as a company with Linn and a Linn/Naim dealership had a licence to print money, that certainly helps brand loyalty imho. Back then the momentum behind the brand was huge with magazines pretty much dedicated to Linn and Naim gear. Dealers and hence their customers have been very slow to look at alternatives. Often because they handily forget that building a system is harder than plugging company X's preamp into a Naim system and expecting it to work better than the Naim pre it replaced. Also you should never underestimate the sense of well-being that is often found in belonging to a club that looks down on every one else ;->

Cheers

Jason

Jason

I think this posting says it all. Good dealers are Naim enthusiasts.

Finally, Naim owners do not look down on everyone else and well you know it.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 12, 2004
  9. merlin

merlin

Re: Jason

Now Mick, I know you are probably havng a laugh but my experience of Naim dealers is quite the contrary. Probably the most arrogant bunch of money grabbing shites this industry as produced, who think it is the customers' "honour" to visit their establishment.

I'd say the best dealers I have ever visited, purely from an enthusiasm and friendliness perspective, all share one thing in common - they don't sell Naim.

I feel a trip to the Jeremy Balwins and John Roberts of this world would be one of the best uses of your time in future, you'd be amazed what you could learn:D

merlin, Jan 12, 2004
  10. merlin

Barnie

"I feel a trip to the Jeremy Balwins and John Roberts of this world would be one of the best uses of your time in future, you'd be amazed what you could learn" merlin.

No! No! don't do it Mick JR will try and tell you your Naim kit is as cheap as chips and offer you a few quid for it.:rolleyes:

Regards

Barnie.
    http://barnies-place.co.uk/lounge/index.php?act=ST&f=7&t=16&

Barnie, Jan 12, 2004
  11. merlin

merlin

Don't go there Girlfriend;)

merlin, Jan 12, 2004
  12. merlin

sideshowbob Trisha

This is a bit sweeping. I've had pretty regular dealings with Cornflake re. my ATC gear and they're an excellent outfit, couldn't be more helpful, and they sell a lot of Naim gear.

Just over a year ago I bought a bargain s/h NAC42.5/110 combo which is still doing sterling service as the second system, and Grahams were exceptionally helpful, giving it a look over and swapping over the phono boards FOC even though I've never bought anything from them.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 12, 2004
  13. merlin

mick parry stroppy old git

Merlin

Does the fact that you fact that you do not like Naim, make you a lousy dealer ?

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 12, 2004
  14. merlin

Paul Ranson

Usually a power amp has power supply rejection, it generates its output with reference to its input within the capacity of its power rails but without reference to them. So the ripple implicit in a transformer/rectifier/capactior setup doesn't appear on the output (much...).

A conventional regulator for this arrangement is much like a power amp, you give it a constant input reference voltage and it generates and holds the desired output voltage without reference to the raw supply (pretty much).

The reason power amps rarely use regulated power supplies is because of the currents and voltages involved. The regulator is about as expensive as as the power amp itself, requires as much design input but from a much smaller pool of experience, and tends towards wild oscillations when driving anything other than a resistor...

A power amp with a regulated supply is like two power amps in series, the raw supply passes through a device controlled by an error signal, then through another device controlled by another error signal, and then to the loudspeaker. It might be worth considering combining the error signals, and spending more effort on the power amp itself rather than on the supply.

OTOH there are some very fine amps with regulated PSUs, engineering anything is all about compromises rather than abstract purism.

I think one of the best arguments for regulated PSUs is to implement non-intrusive current limiting and DC offset protection. You can shut the PSU down in the event of a short circuit rather than have relays or other interference in the signal path. This is the kind of functionality that DIY amps can live without, but real customers probably get quite annoyed when their new amp goes up in smoke during installation because they were careless with the speaker wires. And then because they didn't quite believe it they blow their speakers up too....

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 12, 2004
  15. merlin

Barnie

"Don't go there Girlfriend" merlin

Well you started it:D

Barnie, Jan 12, 2004
  16. merlin

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

everythings going well in the shire gandalf

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Jan 12, 2004
  17. merlin

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

I've been reliably informed that Marco, would easily have made a stunning hobbit, without the aid of 3 hours in make up too, lost vocation there I feel :rolleyes:

wadia-miester, Jan 12, 2004
  18. merlin

merlin

Re: Merlin

Nothing to do with it Mick, and to be fair my sweeping statement was in response to an equally ridiculous statement:p

merlin, Jan 12, 2004
  19. merlin

Barnie

Re: Re: Jason

This is how I was treated at JRs place, I thought his rooms there looked like an indian trinket shop, you know all gold and silver shiny things that sound like s***:D

Best regards

Barnie
    PS I don't know how you've got the gall to call yourself merlin:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2004
    Barnie, Jan 12, 2004
  20. merlin

michaelab desafinado

Re: Re: Jason

That's precisely my experience from the only Naim dealer I've ever been to. It's the main representative in Portugal and the shop is called "Attitude" - says it all really :)

Barnie - merlin's nickname is from the speakers he uses (Merlins) and is nothing to do with Arthurian legends ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 13, 2004
Ask a Question