Anyone heard the GBP7000 NAIM CD Player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JohnMak, Jan 22, 2004.

1. JohnMak

michaelab desafinado

I think it must be the longest thread apart from the "my kit" thread which doesn't count.

It has, amazingly, managed not to descend into utter silliness and or violence....yet :D

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 28, 2004
  2. JohnMak

cookiemonster

Graham, it's easy for us to make these mistakes, as has been demonstrated.

I should have stuck to the breasts. I was on a more sure footing with that one.

cookiemonster, Jan 28, 2004
  3. JohnMak

Robbo

It has come close a few times though!

Robbo, Jan 28, 2004
  4. JohnMak

Paul Ranson

Such as?

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 28, 2004
  5. JohnMak

cookiemonster

Paul, your sobriety and reason has wasted me.

It seems that i am the lazy man which Russell was referring to.

I'll refrain from despatching further nails into my coffin.

6. JohnMak

julian2002 Muper Soderator

why gravity and magnetism work. And a universal theory of everything has eluded science for a while now too.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Jan 28, 2004
  7. JohnMak

penance Arrogant Cock

why or how the big bang occured - if it did

what would happen if we got to the end of the galaxy and stuck our head thru

Why can particles appear and disappear

What exactly happened to create life on our planet

How can light behave as a particle and yet also as a wave form

etc
    etc
    etc
    :rolleyes:

penance, Jan 28, 2004
  8. JohnMak

Robbo

Why do cables sound different?

Robbo, Jan 28, 2004
  9. JohnMak

penance Arrogant Cock

but im sure Paul can enlighten us;)

penance, Jan 28, 2004
  10. JohnMak

cookiemonster

Is there anything you don't have worked out?

11. JohnMak

Gambit Junior Vice President

Not fair, he's by faaaar and away the most entertaining poster on this thead. Don't discourage him, it was getting good.

There's plenty science can't explain. Why you can never reach the bottom pringles without just giving up and turning the can upside down for one.

Gambit, Jan 28, 2004
  12. JohnMak

cookiemonster

Gambit my man, you just keep serving up the goods. :)

This is REAL science :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2004
  13. JohnMak

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

One of the first posts to make sense on this thread :)
    I've always purchased ALL kit this way, using my ears, as I've said all along from day one.You lot have been dancing around the caldron of untruths, trying to burn away the irrelevancies
    and leaving your best guesses, some here with ulterior motives other genuinely interested in how something is achieved which is different from the Norm.
    Graham N raised some very relevant 'Crux points', which forms the basis of the 'Ranson'.
    Do techniques in cable geometry have an audio effect ?
    Does the use of ultra refined base materials have a bearing on it's sonic character? or combo of alloys?
    Does dielectric composition and strength help or hinder?
    Can atom level reworking be as good as it's cracked up to be?
    Does uses an earth screen/efi shield make any difference at all?
    All excellent points, any of which may and combination of all could possibly effect the sound that a given *cable* makes.
    The ffrc boys use double opposed twisted pairs as does the TNT mains cables.A few companies use Cryogenics in their cable preparations, Cyro treatments are known and used throughout industry for it's ability to greatly enhance the properties of many items drills, taps, dies, engine blocks, cylinder heads, aircraft under carriage lynch pins flap controls, not only in hardness and wear resistance up to 1000% , but in internal stress reduction and other benefits, by altering things at the molecular level.
    Has any one compared Isolda DCT to Non DCT ? (I know a few have) any noticeable sonic differences noticed ?
    Graham also pointed out that a study into such effects would keep a small team of EX grads busy for a few dozes months with an not insubstanical research grant, also very true.
    Now, a lot of effort goes in to formulating a cable sound with O/A, we've haven't been at this as long as more established companies, however it's not just pick a cable bung on some ends and hey bang it in the cryo bath yep sorted.
    There are many measurable traits of the whole cable package, dielectrics/cable resistance/shielding strength/capacitance etc.
    Have any tests been conducted before and after just one change to a *test sample* & recorded could well be, do we know a reason for the alleged change @possibly, and then maybe not@
    I will say, that to produce a certain sound in one of our cables, we use no magic at all :( (sorry to disappoint) but maybe a combination of accepted practise and variations on material types, and possibly a unique dielectric (not may the best, but defiantly different), along with sometimes cryoing & cooking.
    Other cables are built differently again. Now this sounds like a cop out, it isn't, but It''ll get called it any way, but we have found how to @change@a given sound by our own time and efforts, and I'm blowed if I'm gunna share it with any one, sorry no offence.
    Several cable companies have Patented various cable geometry configurations also really ask Tones. It all has a bearing we have found.
    What I can say is we use various testing methods on materials prior to cable formulation, but the end result is with our ears nothing more, yes we have accumulated a fair bit of very relevant
    information, some of which is well documented and in the public domain, other pieces are not (as far as we are aware)
    Sorry this is fragmented My son has been trying to use the microwave for the first time:D
    Cable differences can be down to all or none of the above, materials also have more than a smattering of impact on the final result along with an awful lot of other variables.
    Sorry this has been long winded, but I lost my train of thought half way through, my sons efforts to incinerate the tea, grabbed my attention some what.
    Until you have used your own ears to judge for your self if any differences have been made or not in a given system context, then theorise all you like, as Mr Toy is so fond of pointing out
    'The proof is the Pudding', the pudding well be available at the weekend, and Paul ranson will be on hand to attempt to straighten the spoons we've been using I'm sure.
    I've probably used a lot of words to say not a lot sorry, but I would never use DBT to choose any kit, more a 2 week trail at home for each piece, then make my own mind up, I did take 6 months to find my speakers :eek: Tone

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2004
    wadia-miester, Jan 28, 2004
  14. JohnMak

Saab

Instead of cloning sheep,maybe scientists should clone human ears,so we can have a genuine blind cable test with 3 humans who have all had cloned ears grafted on

then we will have removed one of the 6 trillion variables that affect these tests

finding a cable that improves your system is a pyrhhic victory,there is always a lttle bit more money you can spend.........................Mr Creosote anyone?

Saab, Jan 28, 2004
  15. JohnMak

PeteH Natural Blue

:D Right. So, what you're saying is that once they knew what they were supposed to be hearing, ie. after the blind test, they could suddenly hear the difference? Which proves that blind testing doesn't work? :p

PeteH, Jan 28, 2004
  16. JohnMak

Calling Audio rescue.............Calling Audio Rescue................... forum in distress, being assulted by DBT's...............................

Lauching Audio rescue>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

17. JohnMak

penance Arrogant Cock

but how do you know they heard the call??
    unless theey are blindfolded!

penance, Jan 28, 2004
  18. JohnMak

ZG 5 is ever vigilant, watching and waiting for signs of DBT any where throught the world.................

19. JohnMak

penance Arrogant Cock

surely they should be blindfolded and listening:confused:

Just to apease the masses ofcourse;)

penance, Jan 28, 2004
  20. JohnMak

GrahamN

I personally have never come across a scientist who says it can explain everything - and that's even the greater reason to continue the quest though. What does characterise it IME is:
    a) Says quite a lot about the "what" or "how" of our universe, not very much about the "why"
    b) When one question is answered it generally exposes the next one that was hiding behind it
    c) Successive refinement, progressively explaining what we experience to a higher level of approximation
    d) Make a better stab at the "what" and "how" questions than pretty much any other method (including farming reptiles for their oil)
    On the whole without it we'd be stuck at the level of the great space-turtle.

WM - when you "use your ears" is that without the assistance of your other senses?

GrahamN, Jan 28, 2004
Ask a Question