Anyone heard the GBP7000 NAIM CD Player?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JohnMak, Jan 22, 2004.

1. JohnMak

Robbo

I too find it rather curious that people will make value judgements about these type of things despite having never actually heard the system in question.

Perhaps is Paul is able assess the sound of equipment without actually hearing it. I am surprised none of the manufacturers have employed him as chief tester. Think of all the time and money they would save when evaluating kit, no need for pesky DBT!

(Whoops, I said I wasnt going to post on this thread again!)

Robbo, Jan 29, 2004
  2. JohnMak

sideshowbob Trisha

Argh, so many pages and yet the point is still being missed. Of course people who buy £400 speaker cables perceive a difference. Nobody is questioning their perception. What's being questioned is whether there's any objective basis for that perception.

It's a really really simple point. As GrahamN said earlier, some people seem to be being wilfully dense.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 29, 2004
  3. JohnMak

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

No, wrong. At the start, the Nad owner had never heard of Micromega, and was still less impressed that it was French. As far as he knew it was treated with the utmost suspicion, he had no idea what he was supposed to be hearing, and he expected his NAD to walk it. Only when he took it home did he come to think it was so much better than his NAD.

If he'd been relying on the DBL test he'd never have known as the difference didn't show up noticeably. Like I said, the DBL was useless in that instance.

Cheers

timpy, Jan 29, 2004
  4. JohnMak

greg Its a G thing

Paul is questioning their perception. His comment exactly does that - read it again. I am hardly suggesting its news to most people who have spent X on s/cables. The point I am trying to make is a simple one - science, measurement, listening or other - its all empirical. If an electrical measurement demonstrates no benefit and a particular human ear hears an emotional content not previously there (to his/her mind) then neither is absolute in both world pictures (was it you who referred to Wittgenstein). The emotional content may be in the finest signal variations and not due to frequency extension or otherwise.

This whole debate is completely endless due to the empirical nature of our experiences and opinions. The language of each is independent which makes Paul's attempts at absolutism <humour>absolutely</humour> pointless. Its his absolutism that motivates me to string this out as long as possible - perverse I know. :p

greg, Jan 29, 2004
  5. JohnMak

sideshowbob Trisha

I'm sure Paul can speak for himself, but no it doesn't. The perception that cables make a difference is not disputed, it's whether they really do make a difference.

Prove the signal variations exist before speculating any further. Prove that there is a phenomena to explain before trying to explain said phenomena. That's what the cable sceptics are saying. It's that simple. Nobody has proved that electrically similar cables sound different, so why construct elaborate scenarios explaining how the difference is created?

Edited to add:

Tut tut, Wittgenstein would be turning in his grave (sorry, couldn't resist, but his private language argument is directed against precisely this sort of relativistic notion)

-- Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2004
  6. JohnMak

michaelab desafinado

Ahh - but what's the difference between perception and reality? :p

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 29, 2004
  7. JohnMak

Markus S Trade

I feel this justifies a 500 page Philip K. Dick novel ... after all, most of his work revolves around reality, our perception of it, how they can differ and which of them matters.

Markus S, Jan 29, 2004
  8. JohnMak

michaelab desafinado

Or, to refer to more recent popular culture:

If I'm perceiving a difference is that just what the Matrix is telling me? Is DBT really an idea dreamt up by the leaders of Zion to get people to question their reality? Is dat19 Neo? :yikes:

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 29, 2004
  9. JohnMak

Saab

Hitchers Guide To The Galaxy

which is where this thread has ended up................somewhere in the forth dimension,but entertaining and a thoroughly great read all the same

maybe Frank knows?

Saab, Jan 29, 2004
  10. JohnMak

Saab

copyright Rod Elliot

Saab, Jan 29, 2004
  11. JohnMak

cookiemonster

My opinion is fact, that is what it boils down to.

The point is NOT being missed BTW.

cookiemonster, Jan 29, 2004
  12. JohnMak

sideshowbob Trisha

I'm with W.V.O. Quine, in his essay On What There Is, "To be is to be the value of a bound variable", if that helps at all.

Ontological relativism is all well and good, but ultimately you have to pick an ontology in order to function. Philosophical realism (accepting there is a reality independent of one's perception of it) seems to me to be the least intellectually compromised ontology. It also seems to be the one we are genetically predisposed to accept; it's certainly the ontology by which we instinctively lead our daily lives, such that anyone who genuinely acted as if they didn't believe in it would probably be regarded by most people as mentally ill in some way.

Subjectivism is an intellectual dead-end. It answers nothing, and closes off the possibility of even asking the important questions (since any answer is equally valid). It's the curse of contemporary intellectual life, turning us into relativistic zombies, unable to reason.

-- Ian

13. JohnMak

Markus S Trade

No, he's AndrewThomas.

Markus S, Jan 29, 2004
  14. JohnMak

HenryT

Good luck to you then mate and may the best rottweiler win! ;)

Meanwhile, I'll just retreat to the sidelines and get on with life. :SLEEP: Wake me up when the dream's over... :D

HenryT, Jan 29, 2004
  15. JohnMak

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

A little snippet for those in taoisum exotentialisum.

"Hypotheses are constructed as to why these concepts should provide improvements over existing techniques. These hypotheses are then tested by measurement and extensive listening. Often, even the most advanced technical understanding does not fully correlate with the sonic results. In these instances, the design process continues with more experiments and listening until a more thorough understanding of the interaction between the technology and sonic performance is reached. In many cases, this results in breakthroughs that increase our overall understanding of the digital playback process."

Whooo er..........................................

:rolleyes:

wadia-miester, Jan 29, 2004
  16. JohnMak

cookiemonster

I agree.

But perhaps the 'curse' of reason precedes the curse of subjectivism.

Hence subjectivism has its uses, depending on your perspective.

Of course such a position could be one of weakness, or intellectual deficiency. In defence of this one could say that there is 'nothing more wretched than man, nor more arrogant'.

I don't know.

'for doubting pleases me as much as knowing' - dante

'men who cannot read do not find it harder to get an erection, do they?' - horace

'accept all things in good part, just as they seem, just as they taste, day by day. the rest is beyond thy knowledge' - ecclesiastes

'everything is what it is, and not another thing' - wittgenstein

:)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2004
  17. JohnMak

Paul Ranson

I accept the fact that you have an opinion, but your opinion isn't fact.

That is your perception.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 29, 2004
  18. JohnMak

cookiemonster

Ok, you're taking me round the mulberry bush now.

ATB

19. JohnMak

wolfgang

Wonderful. Anyone who still claim this thread is boring has no love for poetry.

By that I am referring to Webster's definition of the word as the art of apprehending and interpreting ideas by the faculty of imagination; the art of idealizing in thought and in expression.

wolfgang, Jan 29, 2004
  20. JohnMak

joel Shaman of Signals

I like a man who can see the argument from both sides.

joel, Jan 29, 2004
Ask a Question