Cable directionality & cables

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Mar 19, 2004.

1. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

If I was currently in need of cables, I'd buy some mic cable off the reel and terminate it to my aesthetic preference. About a tenner for 10 metres. As it is, I have a mixture of mic cable, JVC, Ixos, and budget VDH, most of which came with various bits of equipment (I didn't want to pay for cables, so always negotiated to have something thrown in FOC when I bought anything new from a dealer).

For power cables, I use what comes with the equipment. Don't have any speaker cable in the main rig, but I use Shark copper cable (cheap, from Maplins) for the second system and for the main system when I revert to a passive speaker setup.

I estimate the RRP of my cables to be about 2% of total system cost. Seems a bit high to me, now I think about it...

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 22, 2004
  2. The Devil

Kirk Bennett

...and some of which do..............the effect of cable directionality is for me an example.
    Dude, if ya don't believe in it, fine, but don't diss folks that can hear a difference.

Kirk Bennett, Mar 22, 2004
  3. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

Kirk, I haven't dissed anybody.

Merlin was being a touch provocative, as he likes to be. I was just responding in kind. I honestly don't give a fig if people want to believe, that's entirely up to them. As long as they like what they like, that's OK by me. *

-- Ian

* Obviously, they're nuts, but as long as they're no danger I don't think they should be locked up

4. The Devil

Kirk Bennett

Re: Chaps

Crikey, then Naim are the loopiest of trouts:D Those dudes must believe they can hear a difference otherwise why bother to mark the cables?
    The majority of cables are also free with their gear, so you can't accuse 'em of some cunning marketing strategy.

5. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Merlin - that's just utter BS I'm afraid. My conversion to objectivist is completely unrelated to the opinions of anyone on the forum :rolleyes:

Why would I let wolfgan and dat19 (neither of whom I know the slightest thing about) influence my opinion more than, for example, your good self or wadia-miester, both of whom I've met more than once and think of as thouroughly good blokes? :)

My "road to Damascus" moment actually came after trying out a Trichord 500VA power conditioner in my system where it did absolutely nothing, and I wasn't the only person to think so. I realised I'd bought a lot of things "blind" on the advice of others and that I really hadn't noticed any difference. The Olson mains blocks and the Isolda speaker cable being prime examples.

Spot on. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Yesterday at lowrider's place we compared his Apogee Wyde-Eye XLR cables with my VDH D102III XLR cables (from pre to power). I swear to you that I heard not one iota of a difference. Lowrider OTOH was quite convinced his Apogee's were better ;) . It's not even a price issue, my VDH's are actually slightly more expensive than his Apogees.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 22, 2004
  6. The Devil

lowrider Live music is surround

Of course it isnt an issue of mine versus yours, I didnt even feel like comparing the cables any more, but as they where there, what the heck... :rolleyes:

It was not a night and day difference, of course, I was teasing Michael... :p

But the Apogees did sound clearer in the midrange, and there was no placebo at all, as I never heard any opinions on either of the cables, also, I bought the Apogees because they where the only reasonable priced balanced ICs I found in Lisbon... :MILD:

lowrider, Mar 22, 2004
  7. The Devil

tones compulsive cantater

Or, as John Borwick, former audio editor of "Gramophone" once put it to me in a letter back in the '80s when the cable business was just starting and I queried it:

"To us ("Gramophone" reviewers), one good quality cable sounds very much like another. However, I would never dissuade an enthusiast from giving his super-system a birthday present, if paying over the odds makes him feel better".

This encapsulates my feeelings exactly.

tones, Mar 22, 2004
  8. The Devil

merlin

Ah but you would not want to would you Michael;)

The power of suggestion works both ways guys, and if you want to suggest that some of us are imagining the affects of cabling and other tweaks, then you too must accept that you just might have conditioned your mind to blank out any differences you might detect (just as a fire walker might not notice the hot coals). There's been an unusually high incidence of cynicism on this forum of late and it would be a fool who denies that there is a possibility that some of it has subconciously rubbed off.

Even I'm using a system with no mains treatments and connected with patchchords supplied by a local music shop. And thoroughly enjoying the results;)

merlin, Mar 22, 2004
  9. The Devil

merlin

merlin, Mar 22, 2004
  10. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Why wouldn't I want to? I'd be honest and humble enough to admit I was wrong, if I hear differences I will glady admit to them. It's much easier to imagine something that isn't there than deny the existence of something that is, even something subtle. When Antonio switched between surround and stereo on his system it was a clearly audible, but subtle, difference even though his rear's are currently out of action. I felt the soundstage had far more depth and clarity in stereo and that bringing in the centre speaker made it less enjoyable. This was with stereo source material btw using DPLII for surround.

I haven't had time yet but I will shortly be testing my Eupens against some stock cords and also my Isolda against the Dynaudio OCOS which I got with my speakers. There may well be some items for sale in the near future ;)

I want to get the best I can out of my system within my budget and I would gladly spent it on whatever made that difference. Do you seriously think I'd be so twisted about proving a point that I'd willingly make my system worse on principle? :rolleyes:

To expand on my "conversion" I think I was probably always a sceptic but allowed myself to be taken in for a while. Everyone was recommending these "amazing" products that do wonders for your system so I bought them (Olsons, Eupens, Isolda). In every case I thought, "Hmm...I don't really see what they're on about" but I went along with it because I thought maybe my hearing wasn't good enough or maybe my system wasn't transparent enough or a number of other convenient excuses. The Trichord powerblock was the last straw and I decided it was time to come clean and be honest with myself.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 22, 2004
  11. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

I read your description of Michael as being "easily persuaded" as provocative, don't think that makes me intolerant (unreasonably or reasonably).

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, if they're happy being wrong that's fine by me. :)

Very well said.

-- Ian

12. The Devil

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Mick,

I am amazed that you are happy when the technical staff at Naim are "mad as fish".

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Mar 22, 2004
  13. The Devil

Kirk Bennett

It's Roy George who does the listening.........man he must be totally bonkers:D

14. The Devil

lowrider Live music is surround

That is not honest and humble enough, there was an audible volume increase when switching to stereo... :p

lowrider, Mar 22, 2004
  15. The Devil

merlin

Sounds like my post contained sufficient provocation eh;)

But Michael, the subconcious is a powerful thing;)

Firstly I feel you need to open your mind and think for yourself.

merlin, Mar 22, 2004
  16. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

Merlin, you are such a wind-up merchant.

Be warned, if you open your mind too wide, your brain falls out.

-- Ian

17. The Devil

merlin

:D :D :D

In most peoples case, it's the butt cheeks that need to remain clenched at all times.

merlin, Mar 22, 2004
  18. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Not dissing you, Mr Bennett, merely raising an eyebrow. The good folk at Naim also believe that their CDPs sound better with the display switched off, and some of the Naim forum members say that you should mute the record bank of switches on the preamp for a lift in performance. This way madness lies.

Naim ARE in the business of after market cables and they are not cheap - new Burndy being a not inconsiderable £250 - for no return in terms of improved sound.

I think different cables do sound different - but this is a separate issue from that of directionality. Nordost, for example, sound worse the more expensive they are.

The Devil, Mar 22, 2004
  19. The Devil

Kirk Bennett

Never said you were dissin' me.........that was aimed at Ian.
    Dude, you never answered my earlier question......

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by The Devil
    You can train your hearing. When I was a student, I could never hear the murmur of mitral stenosis. Once I was told what to listen for, and with some more experience under my belt, I could.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Me:
    Dude, okay dokey...............does this now mean you believe the murmur of mitral stenosis exists? If so, then in the same way so does the effect of cable directionality...................once you're told what to listen for, and with some experience under your belt.

20. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

Whilst I accept that you cannot prove a negative... The difference is that there is absolutely no reason to believe that the alleged phenomenon of 'cable directionality' exists, because there is absolutely no evidence in support of it.

By contrast, the murmur of mitral stenosis can be recorded and displayed on a phonocardiogram, for instance.

The Devil, Mar 22, 2004
Ask a Question