Eupen Power Cords

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by eagle, Mar 22, 2004.

1. eagle

penance Arrogant Cock

Blue Tak and wet string?

penance, Mar 23, 2004
  2. eagle

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Shite Penance, you must by telepathic or something, that was a closely guarded sceret, you should work for MI5 or at least social services :eek:

wadia-miester, Mar 23, 2004
  3. eagle

sideshowbob Trisha

Given the amount of gear you've got through, probably the former...

So, now you've seen the light, what are you going to buy next? :D

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Mar 23, 2004
  4. eagle

penance Arrogant Cock

/puts cat back in bag

sorry:shame:

penance, Mar 23, 2004
  5. eagle

Philip King Enlightened User

As a relative new comer to this forum I would say that these debates are both informative and thought provoking, e.g. exactly the thing that is missing from every print media journal available.

Having people who strenuously believe in their corner intelligently banter with others who in extreme cases have started producing (either commercially or as a hobby) their own mods and tweaks is what keeps me coming back. The opportunity to form my own opinions based knowledge not previously available to me must by definition make this an excellent forum in which to hang out.

Having said that this current cable Yah/Nah debate seems to be the third one on as many months and does seem on the surface to be repetitive. But sifting the away the chaff and some interesting and poignant discussion seems to be taking place, and that surely is worth contributing to.

As for me, yes cables and the like a difference, a huge one? well not that I have heard to date, but the chance that spending what is potentially a lot less than a box upgrade to improve the sound of my system seems logical to me, especially when the cost of a box upgrade for a number of forum members seems to be well in to 4 figures.

Philip King, Mar 23, 2004
  6. eagle

michaelab desafinado

No worries - I was on full shields for a while back there to counter the subjectivist's photon torpedoes :)

Hull breach has been repaired now though and I'm hanging out with Norah Jones in the holodeck :p

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 23, 2004
  7. eagle

penance Arrogant Cock

Worf, sound Red Alert!

penance, Mar 23, 2004
  8. eagle

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Me I prefer Nora Jones, lightly spit roasted, glazed with a mild dijion and honey with port marinade, severed with sweet baby new Jersey royals and corn on the Cob

wadia-miester, Mar 23, 2004
  9. eagle

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Think I'll chip in with my two penneth.

A while back when (recently departed) girlfriend moved in, I had to do a big move around of the stereo for the purposes of domestic harmony. I had to 'downgrade' my speaker cable to do this as I needed more but had less cash. I spent roughly half the amount to get twice as much, so 1/4 the amount per metre.

It was delivered and despondantly I set it all up (without moving the gear - that came second), fully expecting a performance decrease. In fact I probably sub-consciously wanted that decrease to justify the previous purchase of the more expensive cable - and to prove to other hi-fi nuts that I can 'hear the difference'. Also it would add weight to my argument against moving the kit. Well bugger me if that new, cheaper, cable wasn't better. And not by a little bit.

So there you go - my view is that cables do make a difference, but be careful about what you are expecting. Would I have heard the same if I bought the cables the other way around, and I was desperate to justify the 4X outlay of the new cable? Would I have swapped the cheaper cable back in realising that the 'upgrade' was just an increase in cost, not in quality? Who can say.

stumblin, Mar 23, 2004
  10. eagle

stumblin Kittens getting even...

Hmm, maybe this was the wrong thread to voice this in. Sorry - I don't want to perpetuate this as a 'cables yay/nay' thread.

stumblin, Mar 23, 2004
  11. eagle

lowrider Live music is surround

Michaelab has the CD, so he took this picture of my TV... :p

[​IMG]

Also Michael, did you forget your claims about the bullets... :JPS:

lowrider, Mar 23, 2004
  12. eagle

merlin

You see Michael, that's just what's worrying me. With that defensive attitude it's hardly suprising you are able to block out any changes. I'm not suggesting for a minute you are doing all this deliberately BTW. I suspect that you have been subconciously influenced by the DBT brigade.

It's such a shame as you were beginning to have the makings of a very interesting setup. Try to ignore what you read Michael and just listen with an open mind. Sadly I suspect the outside influences have made that very difficult for you to do without some form of help:(

merlin, Mar 23, 2004
  13. eagle

michaelab desafinado

In case of any confusion CD = Câmera Digital in Portuguese, which I'm sure even the most linguisticially challenged of you will be able to translate ;)

Guess what DVD we were watching :p

What claims? :D

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 23, 2004
  14. eagle

Nah... I mean the music CD of Norah Jones, so you took the picture to look at it at home... :p

What claims?

Bad memory, very convenient... :rolleyes:

lowrider, Mar 23, 2004
  15. eagle

michaelab desafinado

I'm not going to rise to the bait this time :) . I'll be the judge of whether my setup is interesting or not.

That's precisely what I've recently started doing and what has led me to my conclusions :p

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 23, 2004
  16. eagle

michaelab desafinado

It was a joke :rolleyes: . I haven't had a chance to re-evaluate bullet plugs from a neutral position. It wouldn't surprise me though if connectors actually much more of an influence than cables.

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 23, 2004
  17. eagle

michaelab desafinado

It's not even worth waiting for a few days. There is no difference.

Isolda is now for sale :)

Michael.

michaelab, Mar 23, 2004
  18. eagle

What some people will do to try to prove they are right, it is your money... :p

lowrider, Mar 23, 2004
  19. eagle

penance Arrogant Cock

Micheal
    are you haveing a mid-life crisis?:p :D

penance, Mar 23, 2004
  20. eagle

merlin

Sadly it's 1-0 to the DBT boys:(

Still, I guess it means there's more bargains out there for those of us who trust our ears more than second hand pseudo scientific scribblings.

So forward to March 2005. Will Michael either

a) Give up with ZG and find something more interesting to do, now that he knows all hifi sounds the same.

b) place wanted ads in HFFS for more sperm than one could honestly ejaculate in a lifetime, and rediscover his music collection for the second time.

My bet would have to lay with A, it seems only a matter of time before he settles into MidiMediocrity for life.

Michael, when you come over next, let's subject you to some DBT involving both kit and cable swaps and record the results for ZG's faithful. What do you say?

PS. you haven't been scuba diving recently have you?

merlin, Mar 23, 2004
Ask a Question