Heathrow show.....

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by lAmBoY, Sep 23, 2005.

1. lAmBoY

anon_bb Honey Badger

Sure it doesnt exist - its an ideal - something to aim for. What happens at the recording stage isnt relevent to the purpose of the amplifier as an object.

Read more carefully its all in there. Well mine does. I will accept "a well reproduced recording" as a compliment - that is after all what was fed into them I am sure! So thats what I want.

Yes our goals are different.

Wadia - I thought the pmc room was laid back if anything.

anon_bb, Sep 26, 2005
  2. lAmBoY

Stereo Mic

Yes but they were showing the domestic range. Personally I find the professional stuff somewhat more clinically balanced but with similar presentation. WM what speakers, if any, did you think had promise?

Stereo Mic, Sep 26, 2005
  3. lAmBoY

anon_bb Honey Badger

I prefer the pro stuff - loud enought to shake fillings loose.

All join in now ... "ace of spades"...

anon_bb, Sep 26, 2005
  4. lAmBoY

Stereo Mic

I wouldn't. There lies the difference.

So we have a chain. Person sings. Microphone picks it up and distorts it. Digital desk distorts signal. Digital decimation further distorts signal. Transfer to vinyl distorts signal. End result is nothing close to that dear person we started with, whose voice and music we have paid to hear.

Now what if a system managed, for the majority of your recordings, to get you back the artist? Wouldn't that be a music lovers ambition?

Stereo Mic, Sep 26, 2005
  5. lAmBoY

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Laid back hehe.
    SM,

The Peak Consaultants in the Nagra room showed that given some correctly matched components they could produce some class sounds.
    The New Verities, (DCS room) very difficult to tell, as the amount of musical dissasembly that was going on was dire. never I have heard such a cronic timing & disintergration of sound as displayed in that room.
    The Duvels have some charm in the mids (but not much else), Those things in sounds of music room, whoooo weee Grimsville USA.
    The Totems had some nice sounds.
    The LV all fruity bottom end but acceptably nice mids.
    You'll have to remind me of anything else, cuz it was pretty bad IMO

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
    wadia-miester, Sep 26, 2005
  6. lAmBoY

The Devil IHTFP

What did the Naim room sound like?

The Devil, Sep 26, 2005
  7. lAmBoY

anon_bb Honey Badger

I know you wouldnt SM - we want different things. No point arguing about that part. I want what is in my ears to be as close to what is on the encoding as possible. Sure the recording process adds distortion but that doesnt mean extra distortion should be added during playback. The role of the hifi is just to reproduce what is on the disk warts and all.

It isnt getting you back the artist - it is making one up.

The rockport was awful.

anon_bb, Sep 26, 2005
  8. lAmBoY

Stereo Mic

Rather enjoyable IMO.

Stereo Mic, Sep 26, 2005
  9. lAmBoY

Alex S User

I thougt Naim sounded good. And the n-Vi (what a ghastly name) looked and sounded like a well thought out and executed product.

I also thought the Heed and dCS rooms were good. One of either me or WM is deaf, or both but in different ways.

Alex S, Sep 26, 2005
  10. lAmBoY

Tenson Moderator

Wow, I thought the Naim room sounded shite! Well considering the cost of it all. There were worse sounding systems at the show I suppose.

I went from the Dali room which was great IMO especially for £900 speakers, to the Naim room where their £5,000+ speakers sounded worse to my ears.

Tenson, Sep 26, 2005
  11. lAmBoY

anon_bb Honey Badger

I thought the naim was worst at the show. Did they have different kit on different days?

The heed sounded "nice" but it wasnt at all accurate or precise.

dcs sounded good so far as I could tell - given the rather hifi sounding amps and speakers.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2005
    anon_bb, Sep 26, 2005
  12. lAmBoY

NRG

I thought the Naim was one of the best along with Heed. PMC and TACT the worst.

NRG, Sep 26, 2005
  13. lAmBoY

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

The Naim room sounded like Naim kit Bub.

The timing/pace thing was there.

I did think it a little harsh in the treble, but sounded reasonable on non agressive recordings.

Given the price of the entire system (approx £50,000), I felt in a VFM perspective it didnt give the scale,dynamics,tangibility or soundstage of other systems in that kind of price band.

If it was £5,000-£10,000 I would feel that perhaps more reasonable. I suspect the speakers werent to my taste.

As ever, if you love what Naim does, it would appeal.

THe second Naim room (the AV room) ... well taste is subjective, but it was genuinely the worst AV sound I've heard - apart from those dems where they put the subwoofers on full in order to show off stunt-bass. It was tinny, thin, just yuk.

I'd give the Naim 2 channel system 7 out of 10 for sound (3 out of ten in VFM), and the AV system the other way round.

bottleneck, Sep 26, 2005
  14. lAmBoY

anon_bb Honey Badger

I thought it was naims budget system - didnt really look at the kit. Took one listen and lept out. It was very strident and harsh. Hard to forgive if it was truly £50Ks worth. If it is then it certainly didnt look the part wrt build and workmanship compared with other offerings.

anon_bb, Sep 26, 2005
  15. lAmBoY

Stereo Mic

I've always disliked Naim but have to give them kudos this time around. We sat for some time, listening on Naim's terms so to speak. In other words, we were not listening for audiophile add ons like soundstage and image specivity, more for tonal palette, micro dynamics and instrumental timbre, the things that make real music what it is.

Here, the Naim kit was some of the best at the show. it was able to convey the texture (god I hate that word) of real instruments really well, although I still felt it was both limited by the Naim loudspeakers and, overpriced in comparison with some of it's sonic competition.

So having derided them for years, I felt this was pretty good. Some people seem to find it hard to get rid of predjustices but to say it was bright and strident suggests that they either have never heard live music, or are simply repeating age old myths built up over the years and repeated ad infinitum on internet chat rooms like this one.

Stereo Mic, Sep 26, 2005
  16. lAmBoY

anon_bb Honey Badger

Your posts seem to be attendent upon mine SM... I can only assume you enjoy debating with me or something!

Nothing to do with internet forum myths or prejudice. I have spent literally 100s of hours listening to naim amps as some of my friends have (or should I say "had") them. I have heard everything from the nait up to the 552 and 500. They do not sound anything like live music to me - and I spend a lot of time at rock, acoustic, classical and world music gigs. You have strange ears my friend! It seems whenever I express an opinion contrary to yours then I must be someone who has no live music reference or just buys into the internet naim-knocking brigade. The truth is not so simple. I am afraid I have legitimate and well informed objections so you cannot write off the opposing view point so easily with these generalisations.

anon_bb, Sep 26, 2005
  17. lAmBoY

3DSonics away working hard on "it"

Hi,

Not absolutely. What got me to my conclusion was:

1) Absence of visible output valves.
    2) Claims of output transformer less single ended circuitry.
    3) Relatively cool running Amp.

Ciao T

3DSonics, Sep 26, 2005
  18. lAmBoY

anon_bb Honey Badger

Did anyone else think the 47 labs turntable sounded a bit odd somehow?

anon_bb, Sep 26, 2005
  19. lAmBoY

Stereo Mic

No,

your referring to the Naim as harsh and strident suggested to me that you were simply repeating myths rather than listening, that's all.

I can assure you, there is little wrong with my ears, as I believe a large number of people could testify. You on the other hand, don't seem to have others to correlate your opinions, making them of dubious merit to others on occasion.

Statements like you have made on this thread, seem to be out of kilter not just with my own views, but those of many others to. Doesn't that suggest you are the one with the unique and odd hearing?

Stereo Mic, Sep 26, 2005
  20. lAmBoY

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

nope mic, they look just FINE. HONEST.

[​IMG]

bottleneck, Sep 26, 2005
Ask a Question