Notes about notes

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by The Devil, Jan 19, 2004.

1. The Devil

ReJoyce ... Jason Hector that is.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R.K.R - a gentleman and a scholar

Maybe he does but he has had to work bloody hard to get there and similar efforts would probably have rewarded him more in another field.

Cheers

Jason

ReJoyce, Jan 20, 2004
  2. The Devil

The Devil IHTFP

The problem with having a discussion of any kind with Marco is that it is like trying to knit with jelly. As soon as you make a valid point which he can't answer, he's off. The exact same thing happened when I asked him about emotion in music and the master tape.

This is what happens when you rely on other people's opinions to form your own.

Jason, no, not taking the pee, but no time as yet.

The Devil, Jan 20, 2004
  3. The Devil

Paul Ranson

Damn tings.

Somone's operating a cement mixer outside today.... I'm sure they're real and not an Isobarik artifact. Pianos make noises other than notes when they are played, and these noises are audible throughout the track but most noticeably at 1.13ish as the chord fades after 'die'. FWIW. Turn it up!

I'll be redoing the ESL test this coming weekend. And then getting on with enjoying all that alleged holographic imaging.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Jan 20, 2004
  4. The Devil

Marco

James

No.

When I wrote the above it was intended to indicate that even if I can't hear them, it doesn't mean they're not there, and if Roy can hear them, it doesn't mean he's trying to dupe anyone.

That sounds perfectly feasible. The point is, however, I'm not bothered whether I can hear 'tings' or not. Of far more significance/importance to me, is the fact that my system's performance has hugely increased since installing the separate spurs and blank case fuses.

I resolved the issue of a common Earth by using a single, dedicated Earth via a series of copper Earth rods plunged into the garden wired together in a 'star-Earth' formation with hi-grade cable. A length of that cable is then fed underground to the CU, and from there, it is then daisy-chained to each individual spur and hard-wired hydra; thus all equipment connected to the hydras share a common Earth from the Earth rods. The difference of doing just that alone is in my opinion easy to hear.

That's definitely not the case.

To my ears, James, 10mm multiple spurs work, and they work very well indeed.

In my opinion it represents one of the most significant and cost-effective upgrades I have ever experienced, along with Mana. As you're an experienced Mana user, James, you'll be able to appreciate the level of improvement when I state that the effect of using 10mm dedicated multiple spurs, together with a common dedicated Earth, is of a similar magnitude to when installing, say, five Soundstages your complete system will benefit from; however, the nature of the *effect*, compared to Mana, is different.

If you think I'm kidding myself on, you are of course entitled to your opinion, but I assure you that is not the case. The fact of the matter is you'll never know for sure unless you try it yourself.

Marco.

Marco, Jan 20, 2004
  5. The Devil

Marco

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R.K.R - a gentleman and a scholar

And your point is, Jason?

Why on earth are we discussing the details of James' profession in a discussion involving musical notes and mains upgrades?

Marco.

Marco, Jan 20, 2004
  6. The Devil

Steven Toy

I have Roy's CD and I can't hear the tings though my modest system. I do hear the vocals above the speakers and slightly to the right though...

Steven Toy, Jan 20, 2004
  7. The Devil

mick parry stroppy old git

Bub

You mentioned earlier on during the thread that I had "ducked out"

I am guessing that you have asked me to sit down and listen for the tings.

Let me state here and now and before this ensemble that no way am I going to sit down and strain my hearing to listen for a bloody ting.

Anyone who even thinks of sitting down and listening for a ting is just a plain sad nerd without a life.

Even talking about it is sad.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 20, 2004
  8. The Devil

Marco

Mick, that's fair enough. The point is, however, if you can hear them, the tings should be obvious.

One shouldn't have to 'strain one's hearing'.

Personally, I rather more enjoy the music on the accompanying CD.

Regards,
    Marco.

Marco, Jan 20, 2004
  9. The Devil

sideshowbob Trisha

So what music's on this CD, then?

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Jan 20, 2004
  10. The Devil

Marco

RKR sent me his test disc and i gave up quarter way through.

A typical question was .... can you tell how many voices are singing in the choir.

I could not do that even listening live and to try and do it listening to a bloody test CD is plain pathetic,

This is a classic case of being over consumed by the technology rather than the music.

I just think this entire subject is nerdy.

Try talking about something interesting like watching a snail crawl up a wall.........I mean for goodness sake, how sad can it get.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 20, 2004
  11. The Devil

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: R.K.R - a gentleman and a scholar

My point is that you were besmirching Bub by claiming "the notion of wanting to help others without reward is perhaps not one you're familiar with" or that he wouldn't understand an altruistic gesture. I thought that a bit rich considering Bubs carreer.

Will somebody please send me the disc? I am feeling very left out here especially now I hear that there are notes on what to listen out for. Out of interest are you ever asked if you are enjoying the music? Or whether it sounds like a band playing in time? Or is are the only tests related to tings, number of voices, number of hands clapping etc.?

Cheers

Jason

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2004
    ReJoyce, Jan 20, 2004
  12. The Devil

Jason

I like you too much to send you a copy. It's plain boring and frankly bloody sad.

Regards

Mick

mick parry, Jan 20, 2004
  13. The Devil

GrahamN

Most commonly IME the pianist's fingernails clattering on the keys - yet another case of too bloody close on the miking. Sounds as if this isn't what you're talking about though if it's in a fading chord. The other common extraneous sound (other than the pianist's alleged "singing" - why do they have to do this, Gould was bad enough, but Kovacevich now seems to have gone the same way big time) is from the pedal mechanism - particularly when releasing the sustain after a long held chord.

GrahamN, Jan 20, 2004
  14. The Devil

michaelab desafinado

Ah but Graham, that's all part of the sound of a real pianist playing a real piano allthough I could do without the "humming along" that some pianists do (unconciously btw).

You wouldn't want to have an acoustic guitar (or double bass etc) recording without hearing the players fingers moving up and down the fretboard would you? ;)

Michael.

michaelab, Jan 20, 2004
  15. The Devil

Paul Ranson

In the case of the backing singers they don't all sing the same tune, being able to follow the tunes is a classic Flat Earthism.

Using this type of approach to differentiate hifi seems way less nerdy and more relevant than worrying about greyness, slam or 'detail'.

The backing singers track is 'Times Have Changed' by Irma Thomas, and the infamous tings are on 'I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen' sung by Elvis Presley.

Paul

16. The Devil

Marco

Re: Marco

Mick, old chap, I'm not disagreeing with you per se, but the whole point of Roy's test CD is it was primarily intended for Roy himself to use when on his rounds installing mains spurs. The 'listening notes' are included for others as only a bit of fun to test whether or not one's own system is capable of revealing certain information. If you'd rather not indulge in any of that, then one can relax and just enjoy the music, presuming of course it is to one's taste.

Basically, the music contained on the CD is very familiar to Roy (to the point of him knowing every detail on it intimately) and how it sounds on his system at home; thus it acts as a musical reference with which he can judge how other people's systems sound before and after his modifications. It is, in effect, the tool of his 'trade', so to speak.

In my mind, there's nothing pathetic about that.

Regards,
    Marco.

Marco, Jan 20, 2004
  17. The Devil

Steven Toy

The music on the disc is actually rather enjoyable. I'm not an Elvis fan, my fave track is True Love Ways by Buddy Holly.

Steven Toy, Jan 20, 2004
  18. The Devil

jtc

Dem big tings, liddel tings, ebry ting gonna be alright...

Hmmm... I must be a sad git 'cause when Roy sent me the cd about a year or so back I did try to hear those self same tings and I couldn't hear them through my Neats that I had at the time nor through my headphones.

Now, we all know that headphones are perhaps the easiest way to get ultra-high resolution sound for beer money, and yet despite all of this I just couldn't hear those tings.

I respect the work that Roy has put into his mains experiments and his advice is normally top rate. However, I have a theory that the 'tings' are actually something in Roy's room which resonates at or around the frequency of that particular bit in the track.

I'm going to (sad tho' it is to admit) have a second listen for dem tings tonight, and if I can't hear them (post RKR spur, etc.) I will be convinced that I never will...

Maybe Roy got da ears mon, but dat ting don work for me...

jtc ting ting ting

jtc, Jan 20, 2004
  19. The Devil

Makes more sense now, I thought it was some sort of <urrrggh> imaging <spits vile taste from mouth> test.

Cheers

Jason <as yet unknown tingage>

ReJoyce, Jan 20, 2004
  20. The Devil

Paul Ranson

Ask a Question