Turntables...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by anon_bb, Jan 6, 2006.

1. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Indeed. The ideal sound is no sound. Like Bryston.

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  2. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

Tony,

the problem with that is that most people's first amplifier is Solid State and they move onto valves. IME this is because the insidious distortions present in designs like Bryston and Naim become tiresome with time.

Stereo Mic, Jan 10, 2006
  3. anon_bb

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul,

I would say they is some truth in that sir :)
    They other day at SM's we were listening to various records and cd's, The 70's music the vinyl was superior to the cdp without question, had that Vinyl thang.
    Yet the best sound of the day (for me) was a Rory G. BBC session live track, I got up to look at the record sleeve only to be told it was a CD :D recorded 1986 I believe
    Quite a few clients have a top TT and CDP in the same system, and I will agree to a large extent, the 2 do get a lot closer together the further up you go, however there are always exceptions.
    A most graphical one being an SME 30 being made to sound broken by a Teac (Esoteric) combo.
    Its all a personal issue nothing more. Wm

wadia-miester, Jan 10, 2006
  4. anon_bb

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

SM,

I will agree with you there, however I would say a lot go on a amplifier merry go round every few years or so, missed one thing or another from valves, then going back to SS, then valves again.
    Funny old world innit?

wadia-miester, Jan 10, 2006
  5. anon_bb

Tenson Moderator

I think that is a very good point WM. I have mainly been bought up on ss for Hi-Fi. First decent setup was a Rotel something with a big silver front and knob in the middle paired to an Akai reel-to-reel, a Sony TT with Ortofon cart and KLH speakers.

I have heard one setup that did not exhibit much distortion that I could tell. It was Titans main system. He uses Nestorovic Labs 200watt valve amps for his main speakers and I could not hear any ‘valve’ like distortion. He does have a Krell dedicated to the subs below 250Hz though so this might be a good reason why..

Listening to his second McIntosh system though, I could hear distortion, though only a bit. This system let the McIntosh do the full frequency.

Tenson, Jan 10, 2006
  6. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Sm - can you give me some measurements for that insidious distortion that brystons have? People tend to start cheap in their teens and then move up. By the time they hit their 40s or 50s they have nothing better to do and too much money to spend and valve amps cost much more and have pretty lights. Plus the 2nd harmonic papers over the cracks in their system. Its easier to add some syrup to a cheap bitter tea then to select the right one with a smooth taste.

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  7. anon_bb

Paul L vinyl and valves mostly

I can't believe you just said that Nick, arguably that's what stops some folk letting go of certain turntables and choosing neutrality. I know what you're getting at though, just that it doesn't mean you're right. In fact, it's rather an emotive and unsubstantiated post for you IMHO.

Perhaps it's a bit like the source comments in the last page or so, perhaps ss or valves should be devoid of the sins you highlight if done properly and operated within their performance parameters. Of course, limited budgets and lack of absolute objectivity on partnering amps, speakers and rooms opens one to which sets of compromises one is best able to live with on the way to that mythical nirvana.

Paul L, Jan 10, 2006
  8. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

A lot of hifi sounds edgy especially SS. Its a design issue not a problem with SS per se. Same as valve designs can be very low distortion but often arent. It doesnt have to be that way but people are often counteracting a deviation in one piece of equipment with the opposite deviation in another. You are exactly right with your comment. Each path has different compromises and at the lower end they will therefore sound quite different as they are more compromised. A perfect valve amp and a perfect SS amp should by definition sound identical. I suspect a lot of valve afficianados wouldnt like the sound of a perfect valve amp.

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  9. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

BBV, I have owned two Bryston amplifiers and found that the Rotel RB981 sounded more authentic and less wearing.

As the Rotel is on paper more or less perfect, it would be hard to justify the additional expense for the Bryston (unless of course you are swayed by the 20 year warranty. But that assumes you could actually live with that sound for 20 years without bleeding to death through your ears).

Stereo Mic, Jan 10, 2006
  10. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

Please produce the insidious distortion measurements.

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  11. anon_bb

Stereo Mic

If you are just going to ask for measurements, justify the expense of a Bryston over a Rotel objectively.

Stereo Mic, Jan 10, 2006
  12. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I asked first ... and you said the bryston has insidious distortion first. Stop trying to wriggle off the hook. Tell me what type of insidious distortion is present and what the measurement of its level is.

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  13. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

The Akiva cost me £600; I'm not telling you what the SME is costing me, because you will be sick.

The Devil, Jan 10, 2006
  14. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

What I am referring to is the RRP minus normal discount.

Seems they cant shift them then to offer at such a knock down rate?

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  15. anon_bb

Garmt

Who is still reading this? Bub, congratulations with your SME and now b*gger off, because I'm jealous... ;D

Garmt, Jan 10, 2006
  16. anon_bb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Im happy to see that we can agree that the ideal sound from Bryston is no sound.

;) :p

bottleneck, Jan 10, 2006
  17. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

It was second-hand.

Seems they can't shift the Brinkmann LaPonce then, to offer at such a knock down rate?

The Devil, Jan 10, 2006
  18. anon_bb

anon_bb Honey Badger

I bought mine before the big price rise at a normal 10% discount plus the "complete package" saving. :p

So there is very little real difference in price for a complete SME v Brinkmann package.

Nice one bottleneck - I am chuckling over that ;)

anon_bb, Jan 10, 2006
  19. anon_bb

The Devil IHTFP

Can I just clarify one thing? Are you above school age?

The SME is costing me thousands of pounds less than your old Brinkmann, OK?

The Devil, Jan 10, 2006
  20. anon_bb

Bradders

nerr nerr na nerr nerr!

I think we have a winner.

Bradders, Jan 10, 2006
Ask a Question