Do cables make a difference ?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zanash

Stereo Mic

Would you be so kind as to point me to the advert you refer to or possibly scan it in and post it?

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  2. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

Different lcr can be engineered at near negligible cost. certainly no justification for £1k/m cables. Cable manufacturers claim all sorts of things - like skin effect. Which is utter nonsense. I beleive fukuwara originated that particular claim.

anon_bb, Nov 7, 2005
  3. zanash

Stereo Mic

Again, would you mind pointing me to the specific claims you are lambasting?

Whilst you are at it, could you tell me where I can find these LCR figures and how I go about copying them?

thanks in advance.

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  4. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

Take a sample of high end cables and base cables and see which ones match - easy enough. Bet you cant tell the difference in tests. look at any cable advert or their website and see the claims that are made. Pick nordost for example. I have already mentioend skin effect and a reference to fukuwara cables who originated the idea. Please pay attention M ;)

anon_bb, Nov 7, 2005
  5. zanash

michaelab desafinado

I'd have to substitute the Ocos with something. The profit I could make in selling the Ocos (in the unlikely event that anyone even wanted to buy it) and substituting it with something cheaper is so small that it's just not worth the hassle.

btw, thanks to brizonbiovizier for carrying the torch of sense in this debate and saying what I would like to have said only more eloquently than I could have managed :)

Michael.

michaelab, Nov 7, 2005
  6. zanash

Stereo Mic

Michael,

how much ocos have you got? I might well be interested and I'll send you some freebie stuff to replace it with. I'll give you a fair price for the Ocos and won't charge for the freebie.

can't say fairer than that!

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  7. zanash

Stereo Mic

Have you done that then? can you post the results for us?

I presume you have. Oh and any luck tracking down those adverts and the wordings? I'm sure you can find them somewhere. You seem only too keen to quote them on the forum.

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  8. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

SM - no study has EVER shown the presence of these scientifically unsupported cable properties. The onus is on you. I have already illustrated one outlandish claim I fail to understand how you have missed it.

anon_bb, Nov 7, 2005
  9. zanash

Stereo Mic

No you miss the point. You have claimed that you can copy the LCR's of these cables easily and cheaply. You have claimed that the cable manufacturers advertise that cables exhibiting the same LCR's sound different.

The onus is on you to substantiate these hitherto unsupported claims.

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  10. zanash

michaelab desafinado

An approximately 3.5m pair (3.5m each side). However, I'm really not interested in changing it just to prove a point or to make myself a couple of quid.

michaelab, Nov 7, 2005
  11. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

Nope I didnt say I could do it. Anyone with a selection of cables can do it. It should be easy enough to do with a slection of different cheap cables on reels to match it with a high end cable.

Manufacturers claim effects other than lcr are important. As evidenced by skin effect and all the other absurd claims you can find on any of their websites. The onus is on you to support these claims if you beleive them as they are currently outside of scientically accepted knowledge.

anon_bb, Nov 7, 2005
  12. zanash

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Nick, can you show 3 instances where manufactures make specific claims that LCR has a definate and audiable effect on the sound.
    FWIW I agree that the Skin effect reason touted is pure bull.

wadia-miester, Nov 7, 2005
  13. zanash

Stereo Mic

Michael, I'll exchange it for a new mobile phone and some freebie cable if you are interested? I think you would be mad to turn it down. Mad or mildly concerned;-)

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  14. zanash

Stereo Mic

So cable manufacturers alledgedly make wild and sweeping claims and can't back them up.

You make wild and sweeping claims and cannot back them up either. Ever heard of glass houses?

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  15. zanash

anon_bb Honey Badger

I dont make any sweeping and wild statements except that cable manufacturers make sweeping and wild staements.

WM - manufacturers do not need to claim lcr affects cable performance in the interconnection of two parts. It is textbook engineering principles - I refer you to horowitz and hill - a first year EE book. Of most critical applicability is cable capacitive loading of an MC pickup cartridge! However for normal cables connecting normal equipment variation in lcr should have minimal and probably inaudible effect. Earthing is another matter. Cable manufacturers make claims too numerous to mention. Go to any cable manufacturer website and look in the section thats says "why you should pay £5k for our cable instead of £5" - it contains all the BS about cables being more than their lcr you could ever hope to read - as ANY reason beyond lcr is a reason of the type I have indicated. Something Sm seems to have trouble comprehending. If you can demonstrate otherwise to me WM then I will buy you a big pie. Apple or meat filling the choice is yours!

anon_bb, Nov 7, 2005
  16. zanash

michaelab desafinado

Michael - I've got about 5 mobile phones, don't need another but thanks for the offer.

michaelab, Nov 7, 2005
  17. zanash

Stereo Mic

Again, could you indulge me and back that up with some examples for our entertainment? Particularly with regards to the identical LCR you mentioned?

Surprisingly difficult to get you to show the courage of your convictions Michael! Even when offered money for "old rope" it proves impossible to prise your audiophool cables from your grasp.

I find that interesting.

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
  18. zanash

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Nick,

H & H is a shelf mount component here LOL!!!!
    Don't turn it on its head, I asked you to clarify your statement, so you asked me a question in return?

Quote Nick
    "Manufacturers claim effects other than lcr are important. As evidenced by skin effect and all the other absurd claims you can find on any of their websites."

I stated I feel the Skin effect is B/S, now show me 3 manufacturers that catogorlically state the LRC has an over riding factor in the final sound.??

3 of our cables has Identical LRC measurements.
    Do they sound the same, best ask the users?

wadia-miester, Nov 7, 2005
  19. zanash

michaelab desafinado

A fair price for a used 3.5m pair of Ocos is about £100. You offered me "a mobile phone" (which I have no need for) and some bell wire.

michaelab, Nov 7, 2005
  20. zanash

Stereo Mic

A three meter pair recently went for £60 so that's a bit of a jump. I can't understand the reluctance.

I am offering you money/goods plus suitable replacements that you claim are every bit as good. How can you possibly lose?

Stereo Mic, Nov 7, 2005
Ask a Question