So Thorsten has broken cover ...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Markus S, Jul 27, 2006.

1. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

I agree with you entirely Shin.

anon_bb, Jul 31, 2006
  2. Markus S

JonR

He only has one arm?

JonR, Jul 31, 2006
  3. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

Yeah, old 'nam wound. :D

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Markus S

RobHolt Moderator

You mean Naim wound? ;)

RobHolt, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

Delusions of grandeur possibly?

Better to be an idiot with an original thought and a little knowledge, rather than a clueless idiot who pay's extreme lip service to everything they happen to own at the time.

ShinOBIWAN, Jul 31, 2006
  6. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Fair play to the devil for volunteering for the role somewhat modestly.

anon_bb, Jul 31, 2006
  7. Markus S

Baudrillard

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
    Baudrillard, Jul 31, 2006
  8. Markus S

Hodgesaargh

Good luck Thorsten!

Anyone know how much that AMR CD player costs?

Hodgesaargh, Jul 31, 2006
  9. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

4k I beleive

anon_bb, Jul 31, 2006
  10. Markus S

The Devil IHTFP

Well, since audio is acknowledged to be "subjective", there is absolutely no "knowledge" to be had, only opinions. I really can't help it if I like my system, but everyone else who has heard it recently agrees with me. Which is nice. Personally, I think the room is the most important component in any hi-fi system.

I do like your use of apostrophe's, btw.

The Devil, Jul 31, 2006
  11. Markus S

JonR

Behave! You've already been in enough trouble today! ;)

So, Mr 3dSonics achieved all that he has whilst having one arm and fighting in 'Nam....well, I don't know about you, but I for one am mightily impressed

JonR, Jul 31, 2006
  12. Markus S

Tenson Moderator

Indeed, I can’t believe how war heroes are treated these days!

Tenson, Jul 31, 2006
  13. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

It must be great to be a subjectivist.

My point was that knowledge is a requirement for well rounded debate on a forum, afterall we come on here to discuss and not just say "yep, mine is brilliant". Anyone with a pair of ears can judge a pair of loudspeaker good or bad. But knowledge is knowing how,why and how to make it better. It also helps to stop you quoting marketing duff, hearsay and reviews when it comes to actually debating what the product of discussion is.

Knowledge also helps you improve on something, take a look at your SCM50's. They've got flaws that can be cleaned up to make a better speaker. I know because I use the same mid and bass drivers. You just haven't heard the improvements on offer, no doubt you'll cite ATC as having 30 odd years experience and they should know their design etc... Blind faith is subjective which brings is full circle - it must be great to be a subjectivist. :)

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 1, 2006
  14. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Audio is only acknowleged to be subjective by subjectivists and it is purely their subjective opinion and therefore the statement has no value. Knowledge exists but our understanding of the perception of hearing and of audio engineering is incomplete. Especially in Bubs case regarding hearing - which is odd for a doctor. The improvement of audio is a scientific process not voodoo.

Bub you said the same about linn until you heard sme - and when you hear soemthing better than sme then you will diss the sme. You really havent got the joke yet.

anon_bb, Aug 1, 2006
  15. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually I think you will find that I did and that I presented my own take on the subject not T's - and it also just as clearly went over your head, though you vainly tried to disguise it with your usual blather. ATCs make my ears ache.

anon_bb, Aug 1, 2006
  16. Markus S

Stereo Mic

Nice to see your level of debate has moved on BBV...

Guess we don't need to worry about you applying for the absent Thorsten's post?

There is no doubt that on occasion T made some very valid and interesting points. There is also no doubt that on other occasions he was talking out of his anal sphincter. It was his reluctance to admit as much that probably bound you and he together and alienated a number of ZG regulars.

Stereo Mic, Aug 1, 2006
  17. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

A reluctance which is second only to yours S&M - and by a wide margin. Sure he has very definate opinions and defends them forcefully - but he never does so in a condescending way and he can accept other viewpoints while maintaining a sense of perspective about forum matters. Consequenty its possible to disagree with him amicably and to gain from the interaction, especially given his willingness to help. Unlike some. Who have alienated more than myself and T combined...

anon_bb, Aug 1, 2006
  18. Markus S

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Please feel free to take this to PM.

I-S, Aug 1, 2006
  19. Markus S

ShinOBIWAN

Its not critism its an informed statement of fact based on evidence gathered; I've measured virtually every facet of the ATC SM75-150S and SB75-234SC drivers. I've also taken a good look at ATC own implementation and have come to conclusion both from a theoretical and practical application standpoint that they aren't using those drivers to their maximum potential. The ATC mid has many problems but the fact is its a superb driver once fully harnessed, its pretty unique in that it has such a massive flux density in the VC gap - 2.1 Tesla is twice as much as ~95% of other mids and only a few drivers in the world actually match or exceed this. What this means for perfomance is a whole lot of control and pin sharp dynamics.

I could list and provide evidence of the anomolies that ATC haven't addressed. These are quantifiable via measurement and also very audible through testing and comparing ATC's implemention to my own. There's no wonder folks like BBV say that the ATC mids make their ears ache when they have a cone breakup slap bang in the lower treble that isn't taken care of, and that isn't the worst of it - crap time alignment, rough FR response, crossing the mid with low order slopes on the highpass section right next to the drivers resonance. All this can be addressed and makes for a much better measuring, and definitely performing, speaker.

BTW I've heard the SCM50ASL 30th Anniversary BTW but not the plain SCM50ASL.

ShinOBIWAN, Aug 1, 2006
  20. Markus S

anon_bb Honey Badger

The pmc mid is even better ;) None of the nasties and even better strengths!

Anyone that can listen to atc for extended periods must be lacking the midrange in their hearing. Perhaps a defective ear canal horn?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2006
    anon_bb, Aug 1, 2006
Ask a Question